• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

“Inside WakeyLeaks” from The Athletic

I have always questioned how much higher this might have been operating well beyond Wake Forest. The guy was fixing games. Or, at the very least, helping to influence the outcome of games.
Was this angle ever investigated? Everything I've read has been, "Awe.... shucks... this guy gave away Wake's playbook." People were betting on these games!!!

This is why I was disappointed how little attention this received.

Had it been the Alabama or tOSU playbook, someone would have gone to jail. LOWF wasn't important enough for the media to care.

Oh, and here's another thing. Not a single head coach or university involved reported anything, not eve honor bright Army.

So “(More on this tomorrow)” = reposting the link in the daily digest e-mail?

Really?

Let's be clear here. Before Elrod was exposed as working with opposing programs, no one suggested that it was a mistake to keep Elrod on as a radio announcer. BTW, IIRC, Elrod wasn't just kept on as a WF radio announcer, he held another job in the university as well.

DR ran to Elrod's defense after the WF staff figured out that Elrod was selling out the program (when they found their playbook at L'ville). The purported lame defense was that WF should have known that Elrod might scheme to hurt the WF football program after Clawson elected to not include him on the WF staff. Rather than blame the trangressor, Elrod, DR blamed WF for keeping Elrod around. So, for DR to claim that he "questioned the issue at the time" is a comical mischaracterization of the time line. Tom Elrod played football at WF (well, he was at least on the team), he coached at WF, and so, other than maybe a short coaching stint elsewhere, WF essentially coddled Elrod for more than a decade, may have been close to two decades.

Elrod's decision to turn on WF, and to try to hurt the football program, the coaches and the players was solely his. To try to blame anyone else for what Tom Elrod did to his alma mater, his employer and his football program is beyond stupid. Schools kick former assistant coaches, who have lost their value as an active coach, upstairs to other athletic department jobs all of the time. What Elrod did is unforgiveable and falls only on him. He is a clown. Anyone defending him is also a clown.

Post of the decade.

Lost in all this is the scumbag cocksucker known as Ray McCartney. That son of a whore gets forgotten because Elrod was the ringleader and Lonnie Galloway was the idiot that got them all caught. McCartney is on equal ground as a lying, cheating, stealing, piece of shit cocksucker. He also wasn't worth a shit as a coach here.

I even heard he was spotted at the Wake-Louisville game in Winston last year. Hmmmm...

Last edited:
show us the post, Clownald Ross, where you questioned Elrod's hiring. We'll wait.

Can the mods change donaldross to clownaldross? This would be well deserved at this point.

The guy made a mistake, he apologized. It's time to move on. He is a human being and we are entitled to mistakes. How many of you have never made a mistake?

Lost in all this is the scumbag cocksucker known as Ray McCartney. That son of a bitch gets forgotten because Elrod was the ringleader and Lonnie Galloway was the idiot that got them all caught. McCartney is on equal ground as a lying, cheating, stealing, piece of shit cocksucker. He also wasn't worth a shit as a coach here.

He is probably the guy who got Jay Bateman involved. Both were at Army, Bateman as DC, MCartney as D line.

Interesting that a year after being suspended in 2017 for his part in the Wakeyleaks, Bateman was a Broyles award finalist.

Davidson is D1 -- FCS. They play in the Pioneer Football League which is a football only conference generally created for athletic departments with basketball as their priority sport, but their basketball conference doesn't include football as a sport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Football_League

Among the other members: Dayton, Butler, Drake, U of San Diego. It's a weird conglomeration of schools.

Last edited:
Davidson is D1 -- FCS. They play in the Pioneer Football League which is a football only conference generally created for athletic departments with basketball as their priority sport, but they want to still field a D1 football team: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Football_League

Among the other members: Dayton, Butler, Drake, U of San Diego. It's a weird conglomeration of schools.

My point remains. I will call it Division 100 from now on.

It is a shit program and McCartney is a lower than shit coach. That's the point.

Lost in this is what Wake Forest didn't do. You steal proprietary information from your company to further your own ends, I don't think there is a lawyer in this country that would say that isn't a criminal act. I believe WFU could have torched Elrod, but they didn't. To the end, they showed him a little grace. That was a mistake. Because the receivers of deceit suffered near nothing. Think what it must be like if you are Clawson. Go to UNC last year and you know you face two assistant coaches that cheated against you. The article is right. Should have been an immense scandal.

Lost in this is what Wake Forest didn't do. You steal proprietary information from your company to further your own ends, I don't think there is a lawyer in this country that would say that isn't a criminal act. I believe WFU could have torched Elrod, but they didn't. To the end, they showed him a little grace. That was a mistake. Because the receivers of deceit suffered near nothing. Think what it must be like if you are Clawson. Go to UNC last year and you know you face two assistant coaches that cheated against you. The article is right. Should have been an immense scandal.

100%. In addition to criminal charges, WF could have gone scorched earth and financially destroyed Elrod, rather than settle with him, and allowing Elrod's misappropriation to harm WF Football to fade away.

They would have had a slam-dunk civil case, WF could have refused to settle forcing Elrod to rack up attorneys fees and then the verdict would have bankrupted him (and embarrassed a ton of NCAA assistant and even head football coaches).

100%. In addition to criminal charges, WF could have gone scorched earth and financially destroyed Elrod, rather than settle with him, and allowing Elrod's misappropriation to harm WF Football to fade away.

They would have had a slam-dunk civil case, WF could have refused to settle forcing Elrod to rack up attorneys fees and then the verdict would have bankrupted him (and embarrassed a ton of NCAA assistant and even head football coaches).

maybe that's the key to why Wake did not press a more serious investigation and a law suit

My point remains. I will call it Division 100 from now on.

It is a shit program and McCartney is a lower than shit coach. That's the point.

Been to a number of Davidson games over the years and in fact had season tickets at one time. They are kind of like Wake in football: years of despair but also years of achievement, including Davidson making the FCS playoffs the last two years. They are what they are for the division/level they compete in, just as Wake is. If you looked at their roster you might be surprised to see that it's not just a bunch of prepsters from places like Woodberry Forest and Davidson Day.

Back