• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#1 practice priority for our bball team..

By far our biggest need in practice is inbounds passing. We may be the worst team I've ever seen at it.

Practice this.

Our inbounding was horrible under both Skip and Dino, so it's certainly not a new phenomenon. For the past 11 years, our go-to inbounds play under our own basket has been the dangerous soft lob to a guy moving away from the basket near the sideline.

Our inbounding was horrible under both Skip and Dino, so it's certainly not a new phenomenon. For the past 11 years, our go-to inbounds play under our own basket has been the dangerous soft lob to a guy moving away from the basket near the sideline.

Pretty sure inbounding was one thing most people agree Dino's teams did very well...

Uhh... no, it wasn't. Both Skip and Dino were good on inbounds-sets. [Redacted] isn't awful, but he's not on either Skip or Dino's level in this area.

Uhh... no, it wasn't. Both Skip and Dino were good on inbounds-sets. [Redacted] isn't awful, but he's not on either Skip or Dino's level in this area.

No way. I think we had one good baseline inbounds play in their combined tenures as coach (obviously it's was a memorable one). There was also another time LD threw the ball against the defender's back and dunked it, although I wouldn't call that a play. Under Skip, the goal wasn't to score, it was to get the ball inbounds. The lob to the big man just past the free throw line (typically Big E) was the most common.

Under Bzz we've been trying to run so-called scoring plays from the baseline, but are failing. Nikita's the only guy who sets solid screens.

No way. I think we had one good baseline inbounds play in their combined tenures as coach (obviously it's was a memorable one). There was also another time LD threw the ball against the defender's back and dunked it, although I wouldn't call that a play. Under Skip, the goal wasn't to score, it was to get the ball inbounds. The lob to the big man just past the free throw line (typically Big E) was the most common.

Under Bzz we've been trying to run so-called scoring plays from the baseline, but are failing. Nikita's the only guy who sets solid screens.

We're not disagreeing are we? My claim was the Dino and Skip knew how to get the ball in-bounds on a level above [Redacted]. It's tough to argue, I think, outside of the fact that their personnel was always better. It's not just screens (which, you are right, though Carson set some great screens yesterday), it's how our guards move to the ball and cut (which hasn't been great), too. The two tougher in-bounds plays in the second half featured a slow-laterally cutting TC, a sluggish CJ cutting to the ball as a third option from half court, and I didn't see Travis involved. That was my point...

Skip had a few great inbounds plays, especially earlier in his time at Wake. Towards the end it seemed like all we did was lob it to a big at the foul line extended area.

Skip had a few great inbounds plays, especially earlier in his time at Wake. Towards the end it seemed like all we did was lob it to a big at the foul line extended area.

He knew his personnel. We had the athletes, size to do so...

So, the consensus seems to be that Bzz is an amazing X's and O's coach, as long as those X's and O's don't include inbounds plays, rebounding, or transition offense. :couch:

So, the consensus seems to be that Bzz is an amazing X's and O's coach, as long as those X's and O's don't include inbounds plays, rebounding, or transition offense. :couch:

Do you even watch games? Or, do you just come on here and troll.

I'm not sure there's anybody who calls Bz amazing. I try to ignore trolls on both sides. From an Xs and Os perspective, I think he's a big step up in relation to Dino, who I and others perceived in general as a fairly awful Xs and Os coach. How does saying that Dino and Skip wrote up better in-bounds plays and that they had better personnel with which to execute them infer that Bz doesn't know Xs and Os?

Similarly, if you listened to any of the interviews with the players and coaches or watched the VT game, then you'll see and know that rebounding was stressed in practices and better executed during the game. The result? We outrebounded a superior rebounding team. In what was does that infer that Bz doesn't know his Xs and Os?

I'm willing to wait-and-see with our transition offense... But, I haven't seen anything that suggests that Bz doesn't know Xs or Os.

I read the title to this thread and wondered how could someone determine what is #1 among all of the problems that are evident.

Similarly, if you listened to any of the interviews with the players and coaches or watched the VT game, then you'll see and know that rebounding was stressed in practices and better executed during the game. The result? We outrebounded a superior rebounding team. In what was does that infer that Bz doesn't know his Xs and Os?

I'm willing to wait-and-see with our transition offense... But, I haven't seen anything that suggests that Bz doesn't know Xs or Os.

The team worked their butts off on rebounding drills for three days prior to the VPI game and it showed. That emphasis plus the zone strategy resulted in shocking rebounding numbers. It was a combination of proper practice clips and good game planning.

The problem with our team is that when Bz talks about what they should do without physical reps in practice, they dont get it and translate the concepts into game execution. They need the actual reps. Similarly, if they havent emphasized a concept recently, it tends to fall from focus.

If this sounds like he is dealing with a bunch of kids, he is. He talks about it being a big boys league, but he is still dealing with a bunch of 18-21 year olds who had varying degrees of quality basketball prep coming into this level. It makes a difference. When they dont play well, he pulls the young card. He needs to prepare them every game with that in mind, and the results will be more like VPI and less like Wofford.

The team worked their butts off on rebounding drills for three days prior to the VPI game and it showed. That emphasis plus the zone strategy resulted in shocking rebounding numbers. It was a combination of proper practice clips and good game planning.

The problem with our team is that when Bz talks about what they should do without physical reps in practice, they dont get it and translate the concepts into game execution. They need the actual reps. Similarly, if they havent emphasized a concept recently, it tends to fall from focus.

If this sounds like he is dealing with a bunch of kids, he is. He talks about it being a big boys league, but he is still dealing with a bunch of 18-21 year olds who had varying degrees of quality basketball prep coming into this level. It makes a difference. When they dont play well, he pulls the young card. He needs to prepare them every game with that in mind, and the results will be more like VPI and less like Wofford.

I agree completely. The part I bolded reminds me of my ill-fated teacher training... Sometimes, though, it's a learning process to learn how to teach to your audience. All teachers, even good teachers, struggle with this at times. We'll see if Bz is able to sustain this success. If he is, then I may be willing to concede that he just had awful luck at Colorado. That being said, in the meantime we just have to wait and see...

I think this is spot on, but my question is, what do you do about it? There are limited hours in a week that you can practice. If the players need constant reps in order to learn and retain a single concept, that doesn't bode well... we'll just run out of time to learn and practice, no?

I think this is spot on, but my question is, what do you do about it? There are limited hours in a week that you can practice. If the players need constant reps in order to learn and retain a single concept, that doesn't bode well... we'll just run out of time to learn and practice, no?

That's a concern, for sure, but the hope is that it sticks at some point and that it doesn't have to be further taught... Regardless, I guess we'll soon see how prepared we are for games that matter.

I read the title to this thread and wondered how could someone determine what is #1 among all of the problems that are evident.

Other problems are problems with talent. this is one every team should be able to do.

Back