• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#1 practice priority for our bball team..

I cannot recall TC giving the ball up on a fast break.

Chase may be the best passing guard we have.

TBR, I've never said [Redacted] is a god of a coach.

Hell, the premise of the thread is problem with his coaching.

My bad if I don't [Redacted] is the worst of all time in your world it must mean I think he's Wooden, Dr. Jack and Red combined.

You need to understand there is space between the two positions.

I understand your position just fine. I also understand that you are constantly making excuses for him. Good to see you aren't here because there is definitely a coaching aspect to our transition problems.

What are you responding to? Nobody is disputing the fact that Tony is an awful PG. But what are the staff's options? Tony is light years better than Fields and CJ is better utilized off of the ball since he is such a good shooter...

Wasn't responding to you. Was commenting on the idea that no one is EVER in position for Tony when he leads a break.

You need to understand there is space between the two positions.

Agreed. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt today. I sat a few rows off of the floor and spent the whole time noting how his demeanor, adjustments, and interactions with the players impacted the game. It did. We won, partially because we executed his game plan better than I've seen all year. We maybe executed 50% of the plays run on offense.

Two things I'm still not sold on:

-Whether or not he has the ability to coach these post players in the offense. The post is so underutilized that it hurts. I don't know whether or not the players are just not getting it in practice. Ty is a miserable player, but you see it sometimes with Carson, too. A great coach can get players active on offense. I'm not sure I've seen that in two years.

-Defensive rotations are still inconsistent. We do a very good job for concentrated periods of time, but I've never seen any consistency. We don't have ideal personnel, but when our perimeter guys are working hard, as evidenced in the last minute, we can play some really nice defense. I don't know who prepped the guys for Green, but we clearly misunderstood the scouting report. Sagging off of screens for a guy who thrives operating in the pick and roll and who gets a ton of points off of pull up jump shots was a REALLY big mistake. He and CJ are very similar and Greenberg clearly had the upper hand on defensive preparation. CJ was rendered ineffective inside of the arc and Green thrived. We needed to play better D on Green and never adjusted.

Last edited:
um...good win deacs???

yes there are somethings we need to work on, and the list goes on...but somehow we found a way to win and that is impressive...considering all the things we need to work on...but number one priority right now is that we won

I'll be honest with you. I watched the whole game, as close as I've ever been to WFU basketball, and every single one of TC's bad drives were after the plays called broke down, for whatever reason. Whether it be Ty failing to set the screen and roll or our guards failing to move off of the ball, the non-transition fails were almost always after we had blown our sets.

It really proves nothing that we didn't already know.

1) TC is not a good basketball player. He's not quick enough, explosive enough, or, frankly, basketball smart enough to get the ball into the basket. His jump shot is flat and his touch around the basket is lacking.

2) TC is not a point guard. He's a point guard who doesn't see the floor and he's a shooting guard who can't shoot. But, like the question I posed to the guy behind me: who else do you play? Fields is awful. CJ is a solid facilitator, but he really can't do the one thing that Tony can do, and it showed today...

3) ...gets into the lane. TC is the only player on our roster who can penetrate and get to the basket. Against all odds and logic, he simply can get to the basket. He can't finish, but who else do we have?

Seriously, CJ played 39 minutes today and was completely gassed. We ran a 7-man rotation and our two best players were rightfully tired halfway through the second.

TC plays, not because of bad coaching or as an indictment to our other players, but because we literally don't have anything else... We will next year. If he doesn't improve, then he'll lose his job pretty early.

Very good analyis. It is nice to hear from somebody who SEES a basketball game when he watches one. Most fans don't.

Agreed. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt today. I sat a few rows off of the floor and spent the whole time noting how his demeanor, adjustments, and interactions with the players impacted the game. It did. We won, partially because we executed his game plan better than I've seen all year. We maybe executed 50% of the plays run on offense.

-Whether or not he has the ability to coach these post players in the offense. The post is so underutilized that it hurts. I don't know whether or not the players are just not getting it in practice. Ty is a miserable player, but you see it sometimes with Carson, too. A great coach can get players active on offense. I'm not sure I've seen that in two years.

-Defensive rotations are still inconsistent. We do a very good job for concentrated periods of time, but I've never seen any consistency. We don't have ideal personnel, but when our perimeter guys are working hard, as evidenced in the last minute, we can play some really nice defense. I don't know who prepped the guys for Green, but we clearly misunderstood the scouting report. Sagging off of screens for a guy who thrives operating in the pick and roll and who gets a ton of points off of pull up jump shots was a REALLY big mistake. He and CJ are very similar and Greenberg clearly had the upper hand on defensive preparation. CJ was rendered ineffective inside of the arc and Green thrived. We needed to play better D on Green and never adjusted.

Another good post. There was an analysis done about sixty years ago about post players that may still hold true today. Basically, it was that aggressiveness in basketball is inversely proportional to height, particularly at younger ages, as big kids are taught to be non-aggressive. In watching Ty and Carson, I wonder how to make them more aggressive. Agree on the defensive rotation.

There are some excellent posts on the old board under the thread titled "Bz In". One of the posters is perhaps the best coach on the high school level that I have ever seen. His observations are well informed and worthy of consideration.

There are some excellent posts on the old board under the thread titled "Bz In". One of the posters is perhaps the best coach on the high school level that I have ever seen. His observations are well informed and worthy of consideration.

You mean the one by the guy that thinks it's the job of Dan Collins to act like a cheerleader? He may know basketball, but his understanding of the role of journalism and media leaves much to be desired. "Clownish" comes to mind.

I think that guy was criticizing Dan Collins' professional appearance.

So then you agree that it's coaching?

You watched today's game and thought the coaching was poor?

I know you're a current student, but you REALLY need to go back and watch our 06-7, 07-08, 08-9 teams.

Same with the coach with the bad fashion sense, amirite?

Mike Breys are the standard.

Are you really equating the professional responsibilities and expectations of a head basketball coach of a major D-1 program with that of a sportswriter for the local newspaper?

You mean the one by the guy that thinks it's the job of Dan Collins to act like a cheerleader? He may know basketball, but his understanding of the role of journalism and media leaves much to be desired. "Clownish" comes to mind.

This was a pro-style deflection. RJKarl-esque.

It's basketball talk, so leave it to basketball. Who gives a fuck about journalism?

Are you really equating the professional responsibilities and expectations of a head basketball coach of a major D-1 program with that of a sportswriter for the local newspaper?

Not at all. I'm just poking fun at the continued angst about our head coach's appearance when several other coaches consistently dress like fools. All anyone cares about is wins/losses; the "fashion" critique is a farce. Let's just keep the talk to basketball, and forget about ties, Priuses (Priusii?) or yoga.

It's basketball talk, so leave it to basketball. Who gives a fuck about journalism?

The guy that mentioned Dan Collins in his post. Read this thread for more info.

Not at all. I'm just poking fun at the continued angst about our head coach's appearance when several other coaches consistently dress like fools. All anyone cares about is wins/losses; the "fashion" critique is a farce. Let's just keep the talk to basketball, and forget about ties, Priuses (Priusii?) or yoga.

Unfortunately, there's much more to a basketball program than just basketball.

Good post. To your first point, I think Bz would like to utilize the post as we saw him try to get the ball to Travis in the lane on a few occasions in the second half. We simply don't have the personnel, as you mention. I don't know that the answer is on the way next year either in that area. Hopefully.
To your second point, I think our defense will improve greatly next year with our athleticism and length that we will add with our incoming class.

Man TX is on the rag all day.

Does he need to get laid"

Or should he start drinking better booze?

Back