• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

15 games left after tonight's beat down

There are so many unknowns about the buyout. IF the buyout is as big as some have said, essentially the rest of his contract's value, then he'll be back. We seem to have reached a floor in terms of how bad its' going to be over the last couple of years. Apathy rules the day and football's success is a nice smokescreen.

It's starting from scratch once he's gone and I'm guessing Wellman/Currie are just riding it out for now and enjoying the TV contract money. If someone steps up with buyout money or the buyout is actually reasonable, this would change, but right now no one outside of this board really gives a shit about wake basketball.

All I have to say is you ever seen a buyout that included paying maximum incentives which have never been reached?

All I have to say is you ever seen a buyout that included paying maximum incentives which have never been reached?

Sadly yes. If the employer is dumb or desperate enough they can make the deal fully guaranteed and trigger the incentives if terminated early.

I've never seen or heard of a coach having that. Add to this, we're talking about a coach who has never reached anywhere near the middle level of the incentives much less the top.

I've never seen or heard of a coach having that. Add to this, we're talking about a coach who has never reached anywhere near the middle level of the incentives much less the top.

I hope it's not the case, and rational thinking would say its not the case, but after the Paul Hewitt contract, you can't simply say no one would ever do something so dumb. And I know Hewitt went to a final 4 and Manning went to the second day of the ACC tournament. But Wellman always thought he was so much smarter than everybody else, and I could see him thinking that a massive buyout that works both ways would give Wake a bunch of money when Kansas eventually wanted to bring Danny home. But, Danny's a terrible coach that probably won't sniff another D1 head coaching job again.

If Danny's people were smart enough to get Danny that alleged contract, don't you think they'd be smart enough to get a "single exception" for him to return only to Kansas?

I bet you have negotiated one or two things in your life. If you got everything you wanted and had one last wish, wouldn't you throw that in? It's a no lose. If they say no, it gives them a win, but if they say yes...

I hope it's not the case, and rational thinking would say its not the case, but after the Paul Hewitt contract, you can't simply say no one would ever do something so dumb. And I know Hewitt went to a final 4 and Manning went to the second day of the ACC tournament. But Wellman always thought he was so much smarter than everybody else, and I could see him thinking that a massive buyout that works both ways would give Wake a bunch of money when Kansas eventually wanted to bring Danny home. But, Danny's a terrible coach that definitely won't sniff another D1 head coaching job again.
:tard:

Edit: ANY head coaching job again.

Last edited:
I feel like I don't know this Wake Forest University anymore. Not just in athletics, but lots of other aspects as well. My dollars no longer go to WFU or the Deacon Club. I feel more greatful to my law school (obviously not Wake) than mother so fuckin dear!

I feel like I don't know this Wake Forest University anymore. Not just in athletics, but lots of other aspects as well. My dollars no longer go to WFU or the Deacon Club. I feel more greatful to my law school (obviously not Wake) than mother so fuckin dear!

I wonder what fraction of the Reynolda campus is now dedicated to "extracurricular activities," also known as intercollegiate athletics. Plus there is the whole stadium-coliseum complex, also dedicated to intcollegiate athletics. Combined, that is a lot of land and facilities at Wake.

What makes you think there were incentives in the agreement?

I would like to know what makes the buy-out drop significantly after this year. We have talked about various hypothetical explanations but no one really knows whether that is true, or, if it is true, why it is...

Some people are underestimating how much the University is losing in ticket sales. Like I've said before, they've had to give away a lot of free tickets to save face on attendance. Almost 1000 free tickets have gone out already for the next game against BC. If the "announced" attendance at games is 4800, which is still terrible, factor in that only 3900-4200 people actually paid to be there.

Some people are underestimating how much the University is losing in ticket sales. Like I've said before, they've had to give away a lot of free tickets to save face on attendance. Almost 1000 free tickets have gone out already for the next game against BC. If the "announced" attendance at games is 4800, which is still terrible, factor in that only 3900-4200 people actually paid to be there.

What's the average ticket price per game? $40? You're talking $400,000 per game, plus concessions, parking, merchandise, etc. Huge financial loss.

One reason Currie may be still doing evaluations is to build the business case for a coaching change. Buyout money has to come from somewhere. A "Go fund me " campaign isn't likely to get near enough for buying out Manning.

The more facts and figures Currie has in March to make that case, the more likely he is to get Wake supporters with deep pockets to give to the Danny Manning go away fund.

Last evening was the first game I have attended in quite awhile. It is not accurate, in my opinion, to call it "a beat down". And Brown would have made a substantial difference had he played. Nonetheless, it was distressing to witness up close the lack of fundamentals on the part of Wake's players. We have 2 potential star players who could play for virtually any team in the ACC: Brown and Sarr. With Brown out, Sarr was it last night. In the first half, he dominated. Everyone had to know that VT would make adjustments to avoid that in the 2nd half. They did we were clueless on how to adjust to their adjustments. Sarr was being triple teamed when the ball went inside (which was a problem all on its own), but I cannot recall a single time in which he passed back out and reposted or found the unguarded teammate on the wing. Because Tech played with attention to Sarr they purposely left outside shooters (except Brandon) open and we missed open 3 after open 3. But most distressing was the inability to make simple passes. Most of the turnovers were unforced errors. Or, we would drive the ball to the basket and miss lay-ups.

We must have a coaching change...soon. Walters would be a good interim or beyond.

One reason Currie may be still doing evaluations is to build the business case for a coaching change. Buyout money has to come from somewhere. A "Go fund me " campaign isn't likely to get near enough for buying out Manning.

The more facts and figures Currie has in March to make that case, the more likely he is to get Wake supporters with deep pockets to give to the Danny Manning go away fund.

Business case!?! More like showing footage from the Hindenburg. I don't think anyone would expect a business case from this disaster.

All the evidence necessary to fire Manning is and has been available. More will be accumulated with each loss. Keeping Manning the balance of the season is the price paid to get rid of Wellman last spring. That's my hope. I was wrong last year and I could be wrong this year. If I am it won't matter. I'll be done with Wake Forest. The only exception I can foresee would be to attend my 50 year reunion for the opportunity to express my thoughts directly to President Hatch.

You have to question Walter's decision making by joining this sinking ship. What did Manning tell him about his job security that got him comfortable to move to W-S?????

Last edited:
Business case!?! More like showing footage from the Hindenburg. I don't think anyone would expect a business case from this disaster.

Technically, The Hindenberg did reach its destination. There is that.

Back