• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

16 close losses since the Orange Bowl

We have a miscommunication here. I think we should offer a scholarship to a kicker. And if we are doing that now, we should have someone who can kick FGs from further out than 35 yards.

Then what you're criticizing is the coaches' inability to sign one of the best kickers in the country to a scholarship.

I checked ECU's stats and the kid from North Davidson is not kicking for them, nor is he listed on their roster, but their kicker has similar stats to Newman, with fewer chances.

We have a miscommunication here. I think we should offer a scholarship to a kicker. And if we are doing that now, we should have someone who can kick FGs from further out than 35 yards.

We do. I am questioning continuing to use schollies on HS kickers right out of HS. I was a huge proponent when Swank was here, but since then we have had a bunch of average kickers.

Last edited:
Even Swank choked one away at UVA.

Here's to hoping that Jimmy has things worked out for the MD and Vandy home games and then heading into the bowl win! :D

Yeah, I 'm sure we'd have a ton of guys lined up to pay $55,000 a year for the chance to be a walkon kicker.

Valid point. You give the starter one once he proves himself, but true, how many want to pay that first year or two tuition. Hoping to pull someone off of the soccer team who kicked in HS probably isn't realistic. We need to find more diamond in the rough kickers like we rely on at other positions.

Last edited:
We only have 2 FGs from 40 yards+ in 10 games????

Swank kicked 3 FGs from 50 yards+ in one game!

So what? We don't have Swank. Swank was better than 95% of college kickers.

That's like criticizing Tony Chennault for not being as good as Chris Paul or CJ Harris for not being as good as Justin Gray.

Actually no. A touchdown is worth 6 points. Two field goals are worth 6 points.

But extra points are never missed.

I'm gonna take a leap of faith and say that a touchdown on average results in more points than two field goals.

But even at that, I would still would say a TD is net positive, or at least trying for them is, because if you fail, you generally leave the opponent in worse field position than you would with a missed FG. FGs under 30 yards are truly annoying.

But now we're into points already covered on this board, and most of the people in the thread when it was covered last time were found to be lacking adequate knowledge and education on this point to understand why this is correct.

Well I don't need leaps of faith- every touchdown is worth 6 points. An extra point is a different score.

To whomever neg reped me anonymously with "we should 'expect' to beat ncst and win at bc? we were picked last in the division....", yes we absolutely should if we think we have bowl aspirations and ncsu and bc suck as bad as they do this year. Pretty fundamental.

I'm not saying that our kicker has to be anywhere nearly as good as Swank.....but two 40-yd FGs in 10 games is piss-poor.

I would prefer more as well, but I don't recall us going for it on fourth down a whole lot from the opponents 25 yard line, nor do I recall a lot of punts from that position. And if we did go for it on fourth down from the 25 and converted, then it likely led to a touchdown or an easier field goal try form 30-39 yards, where Newman has been more effective.

Yes. He's my daughter-in-law's nephew.....but that has nothing to do with his kicking stats at ND, which were fantastic.

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2...ns-williams-brothers-have-helped-p-ar-455937/

"Shawn is a weapon in every game. With a powerful right leg — he tied the school record with a 48-yard field goal last season — he has had touchbacks on 32 of his 45 kickoffs this season. He also has averaged 38 yards on 19 punts and has made 29 of 31 extra-point attempts."

Well, he may go to school there (like both of his parents), but he's not on the roster and neither is his brother.

Yes. He's my daughter-in-law's nephew.....but that has nothing to do with his kicking stats at ND, which were fantastic.

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2...ns-williams-brothers-have-helped-p-ar-455937/

"Shawn is a weapon in every game. With a powerful right leg — he tied the school record with a 48-yard field goal last season — he has had touchbacks on 32 of his 45 kickoffs this season. He also has averaged 38 yards on 19 punts and has made 29 of 31 extra-point attempts."

Looks similar to Jimmy Newman's stats:

A 2009 graduate of Oxford (Ala.) High School where he was a punter and placekicker ... All-county and honorable mention all-state kicker in 2008 ... Converted seven of 10 field goal attempts as a senior including a long of 47 yards ... Was successful on 30 of 31 PAT attempts ... Averaged 37.6 yards per punt on 22 kicks and collected 37 touchbacks on kickoffs ... Was Oxford's special teams MVP in 2008 ... Played for Coach John Grass as a senior ... Played in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic where he was named special teams MVP after kicking four PATs and collecting four touchbacks on his five kickoffs ... Was a three-year all-county selection ... Earned the Bryant-Jordan Student-Athlete award for his region ... Hit on seven of 12 field goal attempts as a junior and 42 of 45 PATs ... Ranked the No. 7 kicker in the nation by Kicking.com and No. 9 by Scout.com ... Rivals.com tabbed him as the No. 10 kicking prospect in the country ... Recruited by Steed Lobotzke.

ETA: Well now we know why he sucks for sure...HE WAS RECRUITED BY STEED LOBOTZKE!!!11111 OH THE OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part of the reason we haven't tried many long FGs is that our long-snapping was terrible until about 4 weeks ago.

Newman is 8-12 in his career from 40-49, so the idea that he is a subpar college kicker is laughable. He was 0-3 in 09 from 50 plus, but I seem to recall that two of those kicks were attempts from almost 60.

Last edited:
Well I don't need leaps of faith- every touchdown is worth 6 points. An extra point is a different score.

Which is rather dependent on a touchdown.

Let the adults talk strategy here.

Coaches try way too many short field goals assuming they'll be made...that's the point.

Part of the reason we haven't tried many long FGs is that our long-snapping was terrible until about 4 weeks ago.

Newman is 8-12 in his career from 40-49, so the idea that he is a subpar college kicker is laughable. He was 0-3 in 09 from 50 plus, but I seem to recall that two of those kicks were attempts from almost 60.

Newman is not bad - he just choked.

He made a number this year when he had to dig them out of the turf.

Your logic ignores that extra points are dependent on touchdowns.

But, more than that, the expected return of going for a touchdown in the red zone on 4th down will almost always be more than the expected return of kicking a field goal. I think that's especially true when you have as good a passer as Tanner Price, in addition to how God awful our kickoff coverage has been.

Back