• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#16 NCSU at #12 Wake, 11/13 - 7:30p ACCN

Maybe a non-running RB. Chandler killed us.

Maybe a non-running RB. Chandler killed us.

Right. But without the threat of the QB run, the D has one less thing to worry about, and maybe they’ll be able to stop the run better? I mean the only ACC team we’ve really faced without a QB who could run was Duke, and the D looked good there, though many teams have looked great against Duke. One thing is for sure, if we have Leary about to go down for a sack, he won’t escape and scamper in for a TD a la Howell.

The thing we need to protect against against with state is the big pass play.

Right. But without the threat of the QB run, the D has one less thing to worry about, and maybe they’ll be able to stop the run better? I mean the only ACC team we’ve really faced without a QB who could run was Duke, and the D looked good there, though many teams have looked great against Duke. One thing is for sure, if we have Leary about to go down for a sack, he won’t escape and scamper in for a TD a la Howell.

last year, we had Boogie Basham, Bailey Hockman was the qb, and Person and Knight went 25 for 196 (7.8 ypc) and 3 TDs

last year, we had Boogie Basham, Bailey Hockman was the qb, and Person and Knight went 25 for 196 (7.8 ypc) and 3 TDs

Leery isn't a statue either. We just have to play better on defense, period. They will probably try to run it down our throat and hit the big play on play action. We've got to make some plays on defense, we don't have to be great, but we have to make some plays.

I would expect a decent dropoff in crowd size after today's loss

No. This game is going to be insane. Take the Duke crowd and add 5,000-10,000 Wolfpack fans. I think it will be similar to the VT atmosphere in 2006.

Get to the parking lot and into the game early, because it will be packed. I also think it will be rowdy.

No. This game is going to be insane. Take the Duke crowd and add 5,000-10,000 Wolfpack fans. I think it will be similar to the VT atmosphere in 2006.

Get to the parking lot and into the game early, because it will be packed. I also think it will be rowdy.

To be clear, I meant a drop-off in the number of Wake fans.

Some of those seats will unfortunately be filled by State fans. In fact I'm sure there are a few with nothing better to do who are already camped in the Joel parking lot as I type this.

Some of those seats will unfortunately be filled by State fans. In fact I'm sure there are a few with nothing better to do who are already camped in the Joel parking lot as I type this.

There shouldn't be a drop off, we're 8-1 and ranked in the top 15, if we've got fans that bail after yesterday they're pathetic and screw them!

There shouldn't be a drop off, we're 8-1 and ranked in the top 15, if we've got fans that bail after yesterday they're pathetic and screw them!

If people won't show because we're 8-1 and not 9-0, they really should just go elsewhere. We don't need them.

Gotcha. I still don’t think that will be the case. A night game with an ACC championship trip on the line? There will be a ton of Wake fans there.

The 7:30 kickoff is what is best. We need every Wake fan that can realistically attend this game to do so. Student support won't be great since 30% of the student body will be occupied by senior fifth between either doing it or babysitting those that are, but I expect a large and extremely boisterous section. I hope kids realize how cold it will be and dress accordingly.

The 7:30 kickoff is what is best. We need every Wake fan that can realistically attend this game to do so. Student support won't be great since 30% of the student body will be occupied by senior fifth between either doing it or babysitting those that are, but I expect a large and extremely boisterous section. I hope kids realize how cold it will be and dress accordingly.

If the students don't show because its senior fifth, then screw them too!

#19 NCSU at #9 Wake, 11/13 - 7:30p ACCN

Please explain senior fifth to this old man. I get the impression it is amateur hour.

Seniors drink a fifth (750 ml) of liquor by kickoff.

At UVA it’s called the 4th Year 5th.

The administration spends a bunch of money on advertising every year and does what it can to discourage the practice. They are unsuccessful.

In 2005, sororities were instructed to have their formals on that night to discourage it. It did not help.

ETA: I worked for football so I got to walk into the aftermath stone cold sober.

It’s 2021. There’s no such thing as a non-running QB. Some are much better runner than others but the vast majority of QBs can get out in space and run 10-20 yards to break a big play. Leary is the only ACC QB with negative rushing yards.

Clawson made a comment earlier this year about how Greer and Fox would have played against UVA if it was for the ACC championship. I think Fox came back a week or so later, however, Greer didn't return until Duke.

I say this in hopes that if Holmes, Johns, Garnes, Carson, Mustapha, or any of our guys are capable of playing at 70-80%, hopefully we roll the dice and they leave it out there on the field Saturday. Throw everything at this game and then hedge your bets you can best BC without these guys. Overlook Clemson as this year's 2006 VT game, beat BC with a half ass squad, and hopefully we will have some guys fully healthy for the ACC Championship.

It’s 2021. There’s no such thing as a non-running QB. Some are much better runner than others but the vast majority of QBs can get out in space and run 10-20 yards to break a big play. Leary is the only ACC QB with negative rushing yards.

Mac Jones ran it 35 times last year for 14 yards for the national champions.

Leary is the only ACC QB with negative rushing yards.

Thus my terming of him as a non-running QB. Of course he could pick up a few yards if need be (his longest run of the year is 17 yards against Miami, yet he finished that game with 1 rushing yard), but that’s not part of their game plan. My whole point was that it’s one less wrinkle for this D to have to worry about, and at this point that can only be a good thing.

Back