• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

16+ stars vs. Culture

Ari graduated from Mt. Tabor...which is where CJ graduated. Same class actually. I think CJ's attitude is outstanding considering his coach sucks.

He graduated from Wheeler High School in Marietta GA.

For the record I'm Bzz wait and see. Until Bzz gets his recruits in here, I'm withholding judgement.

Regardless:

JTT = 4 stars > DUI
Tony Woods = 5 stars > assault
Melvin Tabb = 3 stars > theft
Ari Stewart = 4 stars > ?

Then there is the rape incident.

I'm all for winning, but not at the expense of a program and school that claims a standard above the status quo.

I remember when TD could be seen in the alumni magazine with a group of students doing service work.

Losing sucks, this year has been embarrassing, but I'll support an AD who is brave enough to go against the norm and put the quality of a student athlete above winning.

We will return to the dance. We will again be rocking the Joel. Buzz may or may not be the answer.

But WAKE is supposed to be above the win above all else attitude that tolerates poor ethical behavior from its sports programs.

I don't own ONE shirt that says WAKE FOREST ENGLISH on it. Give me a winning basketball program again! To hell with this "holier than thou" outlook..

Rumor is that Dino didn't enforce any curfew or set rules and boundaries for the team when they went to the NCAA tourney. Players were out late on the town partying etc. That's how the rape accusations came up with Clark and Teague. The university was approached by the lawyer of the "so called" victim (don't think anything was ever proven) and it freaked out the big hitter alumni. I imagine Wellman was under the gun to make a change and went with a quick fix...and here we are. They used Dino's "performance" as an easy out excuse. I have nothing in black and white but have heard the same type info from different sources that seem to jive. Whether its legit is up to you guys to decide....kinda fits the scenario IMO.

I'm not a Dino fan but I would rather have him right now than Bzz. He was thrown into the position when Skip died unexpectedly. I think he did a pretty decent job all things considered.

The alleged sexual assault occurred in March of 2009.
The case was dropped by the Miami PD soon after Ms. Hurt returned there and brought about the charges
The disciplinary board at Wake Forest heard the case and decided not to do anything about the charges because of lack of evidence in the early fall of 2009.

Dino Gaudio got a contract extension in October of 2009.

Ron Wellman had this to say about extending his men's basketball head coach's contract:

"I think he's deserving of it. His first two years were, I think, symbolic of what he can do for our program and with our program. He's done a good job in all phases of the program. If you look at the academic performance of our team, the athletic performance of our team, the recruitment, then he's done a good job in all areas.
"I just felt that he needed that security of an extension of the contract. We've been working on it this summer quite a bit, and I'm pleased we came to an agreement."

If the Miami sexual assault allegation (which wasn't prosecuted by the Miami DA) had anything to do with Dino's firing, then it is a little weird that between the incident and his eventual firing he was given a contract extension.

It's universally agreed that Wellman gave Dino the extension for recruiting purposes. Well, if that's the case then I don't think the problem was that Wellman didn't like who Dino was recruiting.

We're just beating our heads against a wall, trying to figure out why Dino was fired, because we will probably never know the true reason. Wellman needs to rectify this situation or go down with the ship.

What a dumb thread... here is a buttload of stars that were awesome:

Justin Gray 4*
Eric Williams 4*
Trent Strickland 4*
Chris Paul 5*
Ish Smith 4*
Teague 4*
James Johnson 4*
Farouq 5*
McKie 4*

It's the problem that we always have as fans. We don't know 90% of what goes on behind the scenes, so our assumptions are often flawed

Nah man all the bzz out crowd is omnipotent. Haven't you picked up on that yet?

Who cares about what's going on behind the scenes? It's about what happens on the court. There's nothing behind the scenes to justify that.

Back