• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

This ignorant and obstinant notion, that disenfranchised and disrespected blue collar voters are just going to fall in line with whatever direction the Democratic party chooses to take, results and returns be damned, is a spectacularly bad strategy. Thats not how anything works.

I mean honestly, what the hell do you think is going to happen once the Dems can't use Trump as a boogeyman anymore? When they actually gain power back and have to legislate? They are scared shitless of actually having to deliver on promises. Look at how quickly the Republicans called their bluff on DACA. They won't get shit done, and the Republicans will take over again in 8 years. There is no strategy here - these assholes are just dogs chasing cars from green light to red light. It's gamesmanship.

Last edited:
This ignorant and obstinant notion, that disenfranchised and disrespected blue collar voters are just going to fall in line with whatever direction the Democratic party chooses to take, results and returns be damned, is a spectacularly bad strategy. Thats not how anything works.

It's bad politics, but I'm not convinced that it's bad strategy in and of itself. When coupled with voter turnout efforts, it's not necessarily bad strategy. It's worked for Dems before when the DNC prioritizes turnout in battleground states.

Turnout always favors Dems.

Yes you do. The Democratic party has spent 25 years with this blue dog shit inviting a schism between Democrats and progressives, all the while Republicans have developed into a hive minded cult of personality. If you don't understand how fucked up that quote was coming from the Senate Minority leader - that the party planned to sacrifice blue collar Dems to pick up Republicans, then there is no hope for you. A center-left party is fools gold. The party can't fucking pivot and create a new constituency.

What do you wish Dems could figure out? You quoted my post but I don’t think you understand it.

What do you wish Dems could figure out? You quoted my post but I don’t think you understand it.
I wish the Dems could figure out that casting off leftists and blue collars to the third party scrap heap is the equivalent of tying a millstone around your neck and pushing it in the water. Republicans seem to grasp that a liberal schism will doom the Democrats, but the Democrats seem to be welcoming it like fucking morons, i.e. "we'll pick up 2 republicans for every blue collar Dem we cast aside like so much garbage"

Gotcha. But you say that as if those liberals who don’t vote Dem will benefit from the schism.

Gotcha. But you say that as if those liberals who don’t vote Dem will benefit from the schism.
No. I just know that many people who don't believe their needs are being met by the Democratic party will vote for other parties, or not vote at all, for myriad reasons. Please don't confuse me having perspective to me sharing a viewpoint. I understand lots of things that I don't agree with.

Special elections today:

Florida 39 - The Republican won by 24 points in 2016
Florida 114 - The Democrat won a very close election in 2016 and there is someone running as an Independent

There is also a race in SC where a Republican is running unopposed and a race in MA where the Dem is facing two Independents.

A look at some races where the challenger, surprisingly, has more cash on hand as of the latest filing deadline:

Five 2018 Races Where Democrats Could Score Shocking Upsets

How does it work in a state like Mississippi where there are two seats up for the Senate at the same time? Are there two distinct slots where you choose an R and a D, or do you pick twice among all four, and the two highest votegetters go to the Senate? If the former, how much does it help if the stronger Democrat goes against the weaker Republican? Probably unlikely, but one can hope.

I would imagine a candidate would have to file to run in either the general election or the special election (which will occur on the same day.) Mississippi has a primary for its general election in June, but the special is a jungle primary in November with no party affiliations listed.

I know Wrangor has posted about Chris Daniels before, who is a tea party type that is challenging the Senator appointed by the governor. That could split the vote and leave a path for a Dem to get a runoff spot (if no one gets above 50% of the vote, there would be a runoff later in November.) But it looks like there are currently two Dems running, so they'll split the vote as well. One of the Dems was the Secretary of Agriculture under Clinton, and wiki has this amazing pic of him from the time:

330px-Mike_Espy.jpg

Special elections today:

Florida 114 - The Democrat won a very close election in 2016 and there is someone running as an Independent

There is also a race in SC where a Republican is running unopposed and a race in MA where the Dem is facing two Independents.

A look at some races where the challenger, surprisingly, has more cash on hand as of the latest filing deadline:

The Republican won in 114. Democrat won in 39. Democrats flipped two seats in Miami-Dade and Sarasota in special elections.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...orida-house-after-tuesdays-special-elections/

I would imagine a candidate would have to file to run in either the general election or the special election (which will occur on the same day.) Mississippi has a primary for its general election in June, but the special is a jungle primary in November with no party affiliations listed.

I know Wrangor has posted about Chris Daniels before, who is a tea party type that is challenging the Senator appointed by the governor. That could split the vote and leave a path for a Dem to get a runoff spot (if no one gets above 50% of the vote, there would be a runoff later in November.) But it looks like there are currently two Dems running, so they'll split the vote as well. One of the Dems was the Secretary of Agriculture under Clinton, and wiki has this amazing pic of him from the time:

330px-Mike_Espy.jpg

Special elections today:

The Republican won in 114. Democrat won in 39. Democrats flipped two seats in Miami-Dade and Sarasota in special elections.
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...orida-house-after-tuesdays-special-elections/

330px-Mike_Espy.jpg

Good to see Julian from School Daze is doing well.

Republicans Dan Donovan and Michael Grimm embrace the president in Trump country brawl.

Trump isn’t the sole focus of the primary. With a little less than two months to go before the Republican primary, the race has spiraled into a smash-mouth contest featuring name-calling, accusations of dirty tricks, lies and dishonesty. Grimm has taken to calling Donovan “Desperate Dan” or “Dishonest Dan.” Donovan recently released radio ads referring to Grimm as the “convict congressman.”

“My opponent set the tone,” Donovan told POLITICO in an interview recently. “This is my seventh run and I’ve never had a race like this before, where an opponent dragged someone’s family into the race.”

Donovan was referring to a complaint made to the Office of Congressional Ethics claiming that Donovan intervened in the 2015 arrest of Timothy O’Connell, the son of Donovan’s fiancee, Serena Stonick. Donovan strenuously denied the charge and believes Grimm is behind the complaint, because only congressional insiders would know to file a complaint with the little-known OCE.

Donovan has also accused Grimm’s campaign of trying to get him kicked off the New York state Reform Party’s ballot line on a technicality by tinkering with petition signatures his campaign submitted to the Board of Elections. Grimm freely acknowledges that someone from his campaign messed with Donovan’s petitions. He argued Donovan’s campaign and the Reform Party should have known better than to leave their petitions unguarded at the BOE.

Donovan’s campaign called the maneuver a “dirty trick.”

“They’re morons,” Grimm said in response.

Back