• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Texas governor calls special election to replace Rep. Farenthold

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has suspended state law and called a special election in June to fill the seat vacated by Republican U.S. Rep. Blake Farenthold, who recently resigned following sexual harassment allegations.

Abbott’s Tuesday order schedules an election June 30 for a term expiring at the end of the year.

Farenthold’s seat was already being filled in November’s general election. But Abbott argued that wasn’t fast enough since Hurricane Harvey ravaged the district, which includes Corpus Christi, and evoked emergency powers to ensure it gets a congressional voice faster.

This is likely a safe Republican seat. Which is why a special election has been set for June while the race for John Conyers seat is not until November.

Anyway, the first round of primaries has already passed in Texas and the second round is in May, so it will be interesting to see if anyone that doesn't win a primary jumps in to cause some chaos.

Your stance on Obama is noted. It's wrong, but it's noted.
Yeah
e5456c45f80707df81906020dffead87.jpg

Painter (former ethics lawyer to GW Bush's WH) to officially announce his candidacy tomorrow.

He will run as a Democrat.

There is already a halfway decent progressive Dem in that seat, who is running. No doubt the DNC would like to replace her with a Republican.

Painter (former ethics lawyer to GW Bush's WH) to officially announce his candidacy tomorrow.

He will run as a Democrat.

This guy set up an exploratory committee to determine which party he should run in.

In other words, he thinks challenging an Dem in a primary is the best path to victory.

Seriously fuck this guy.

Rep. Jason Lewis spending big on U.S. House mailers, communications

Households in the south Twin Cities metro congressional district represented by U.S. Rep. Jason Lewis recently received a mock check for $3,154 sent by his office.

“Bigger paychecks are here!” said the mailer. The other side highlighted companies in the district that have given out bonuses to employees following the major GOP tax bill passed last year. And it said that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act would give the average family of four in the district a $3,154 yearly tax cut, double the current standard deduction and expand the child tax credit to $2,000.

He's sending people fake checks to sell them on the tax bill.

Both Trump and Lewis won the district in 2016 with 47% of the vote.

Fake Green Party Candidate Tied to GOP Congressman

Michael Zak petitioned to run under the Green Party ticket in New York’s 27th congressional district, a seat currently held by Rep. Chris Collins. Zak’s candidacy petition listed as the official contact person Ross Kostecky, a local Republican operative who interned on Collins’s 2009 campaign for Erie County, New York executive, The Daily Beast has found.

“Of course I know Ross Kostecky. I’ve known him for years. He’s a good Republican,” said Chris Grant, Collins’s campaign director. “As to why he did this, you’d have to ask him. Our campaign has absolutely nothing to do with [Michael Zak]. We don’t know this person.”

Jones and McMurray point to a since-removed Facebook profile they say belonged to Zak as evidence of his right-wing political beliefs. The profile contained a racist meme about Asians and a photo proclaiming March to be “Stop Blaming White People Month,” among other things.

“All them women marching for equal rights and my wife stayed home to make me a sandwich,” “Mike Zak” wrote on January 21.

Zak was simply a plant, Jones said, and a clever one at that: he shares a first and last name with an actual Erie County Green Party member who runs a Buffalo cooperative farm. That’s why so many Green Party members signed the petition to get the imposter Michael Zak on the ballot, Jones said.

It's as if Republicans know that it's good for them to have candidates from liberal 3rd parties.

It's as if Republicans know that it's good for them to have candidates from liberal 3rd parties.
I wish that Democrats could figure that out.

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”
- Chuck Schumer, 2016.

Liberals aren't going to stop being liberal just because the Democratic party is run by conservatives.

I don’t understand your post.

I don’t understand your post.
Yes you do. The Democratic party has spent 25 years with this blue dog shit inviting a schism between Democrats and progressives, all the while Republicans have developed into a hive minded cult of personality. If you don't understand how fucked up that quote was coming from the Senate Minority leader - that the party planned to sacrifice blue collar Dems to pick up Republicans, then there is no hope for you. A center-left party is fools gold. The party can't fucking pivot and create a new constituency.

Back