• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Richard Ojeda and Conner Lamb represent the types of regional-fit populists that I believe can win enough blue collar whites away from Trump to be successful. I'd really like to see similar candidates in the with platforms and messaging that speak to POC with the same energy. A problem with that is that southern gerrymandering has made it so that any district with minorities is packed and establishment Dems dominate those districts.

Even with the increased energy in the 5th NC district, the fucking gerrymandering has made it impossible to compete. Virginia Foxx received more votes than DD Adams and Jenny Marshall combined. The district has a dozen fucking rural counties and only half of Winston in it.

Yeah, I grew up in the rural areas of her district, and the only way Foxx will leave that district is when she chooses to retire or just dies. They love her in the rural counties in the foothills and mountains. Unless more urban or minority areas are added, she's going nowhere, unfortunately. The best the Dems can hope for is to cut into her victory margin, which is doable, and may help local Dem candidates in some parts of the district to have a better chance of winning.

Last edited:
Adelson gives $30 million to help GOP save the House

Adelson’s donation comes at a perilous moment for House Republicans, who are facing growing headwinds as they try to save their majority. With dozens of incumbents being outraised by emboldened Democratic challengers, desperate party officials have been hoping that Adelson — the party’s most prominent benefactor — would give more than he traditionally does, and earlier in the election cycle.

Adelson came through by giving now, as opposed to waiting until late summer or the fall.

The $30 million contribution is three times as much as Adelson gave to CLF in 2016. And the cash comes much earlier in the cycle: In 2016, Adelson gave CLF $10 million in August, as the campaign headed into the homestretch

Yeah. For all the talk of “Never Trumpers” the real story was “Never Hillary” Democrats who either voted for Bernie in the primary and didn’t vote in the general or just never voted at all.

Any analysis that talks about turnout, especially in Wisconsin, is incomplete without addressing voter suppression. (Which will still be an issue going into the 2018 elections.)

Voter Suppression May Have Won Wisconsin for Trump

After the election, registered voters in Milwaukee County and Madison’s Dane County were surveyed about why they didn’t cast a ballot. Eleven percent cited the voter ID law and said they didn’t have an acceptable ID; of those, more than half said the law was the “main reason” they didn’t vote. According to the study’s author, University of Wisconsin-Madison political scientist Kenneth Mayer, that finding implies that between 12,000 and 23,000 registered voters in Madison and Milwaukee—and as many as 45,000 statewide—were deterred from voting by the ID law. “We have hard evidence there were tens of thousands of people who were unable to vote because of the voter ID law,” he says.

lol Heidi Heitkamp, "Democrat", introduced a bill making violence against police a hate crime the same fucking day that Joe Manchin, "Democrat", confirms torturer Gina Haspel! Hahahahaha because so many of their constituents are COPS and Gina Haspel fans they HAD to do it. Very reasonable. That fuckin party has brainworms, bunch of fascists.

i agree, we should vote Republican
Yeah, you could be a bigger dumbass if you wanted to keep pretending that your piece of shit candidates were literally the only Democrat option. Or we could demand accountability and transparency from the DNC in regards to candidate preference, and that means putting an end to incumbent candidates receiving party endorsements by default. Paula Jean Swearengen was outraised 5-1, had zero name recognition and received 30% of the vote.

"Records show Manchin's campaign raised $4.5 million since the start of 2017. That included more than $935,000 in the first three months this year, more than five times the cash raised by Swearengin during her campaign."

Yeah, you could be a bigger dumbass if you wanted to keep pretending that your piece of shit candidates were literally the only Democrat option. Or we could demand accountability and transparency from the DNC in regards to candidate preference, and that means putting an end to incumbent candidates receiving party endorsements by default. Paula Jean Swearengen was outraised 5-1, had zero name recognition and received 30% of the vote.

"Records show Manchin's campaign raised $4.5 million since the start of 2017. That included more than $935,000 in the first three months this year, more than five times the cash raised by Swearengin during her campaign."

Well your wish is going to be granted because Manchin isn't going to win the general

I'd rather have centrist Democrats pressured to vote with the Dem majority than the Republican majority, but maybe that's just me.

MDMH has such an endearing way of antagonizing people who agree with him. it's a true blessing.

I'd rather have centrist Democrats pressured to vote with the Dem majority than the Republican majority, but maybe that's just me.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PhDeac again.

MDMH has such an endearing way of antagonizing people who agree with him. it's a true blessing.
I think Democrat legislators should be held accountable for problematic legislation, while others dismiss that problematic legislation as the whim of a more conservative constituency, even when it's clearly not due to that. Joe Manchin voters werent pressuring him to approve Gina Haspel. He didnt run on that.

I think Democrat legislators should be held accountable for problematic legislation, while others dismiss that problematic legislation as the whim of a more conservative constituency, even when it's clearly not due to that. Joe Manchin voters werent pressuring him to approve Gina Haspel. He didnt run on that.

So why are they “your” (our) candidates and not yours?

This is a very old article - from right after the 2016 election - but I had not seen it before. I think the breakdown of numbers as set forth in this piece is interesting to consider, in light of the "enthusiasm gap" that is still favoring Dems in the mid term polling. https://www.forbes.com/sites/omribenshahar/2016/11/17/the-non-voters-who-decided-the-election-trump-won-because-of-lower-democratic-turnout/#1a68f99953ab
Progressives like mdmh trashed Hillary Clinton all during the general election, and then wonder why there was a huge enthusiasm gap among Democrats.

Progressives like mdmh trashed Hillary Clinton all during the general election, and then wonder why there was a huge enthusiasm gap among Democrats.
These ignorant drive by shit posts are amusing. The "enthusiasm" gap is no mystery to me.

So why are they “your” (our) candidates and not yours?
That's a good question. I think there is a delineation between establishment candidates and progressives. Canidates like Manchin, McCaskill, Heitkamp, etc. are clearly in the group of shit libs who are allowed to do the dirty work because they come from red states. My affiation is really only for the purposes of primary voting qnd census taking. All of my donations and activism go toward progressive groups unaffiliated with the Dems.

Back