• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

]I do too. Because of people like you. You are literally the Republicans best friend.
Yeah, its me and my 220 twitter followers that are dragging the parties popularity down, not you know, the parties nationwide failure to noticably improve peoples lives. Get a grip.

Fox News and right wing cable media has provided the two most dysfunctional and unpopular Republican legislative cycles in history, and the opposing Democrat Party has done nothing substantial to differentiate itself besides insult the Republican president. You're watching it happen in real time and you refuse to recognize and acknowledge the apathy and disengagement that causes.

Yep, a Republican who supports single-payer healthcare. A perfect illustration as to why the progressive movement is such an abject political failure
You could be Karl Marx reincarnated, that still doesnt mean that Democrats like Manchin get to use their constituency as excuses to do bad, regressive shit across the board. Fuck, its not as if anyone here is giving Nancy Pelosi shit for misrepresenting her constituency with her centrist bullshit. Interesting how that "pragmatism" doesnt run in both directions.

You could be Karl Marx reincarnated, that still doesnt mean that Democrats like Manchin get to use their constituency as excuses to do bad, regressive shit across the board. Fuck, its not as if anyone here is giving Nancy Pelosi shit for misrepresenting her constituency with her centrist bullshit. Interesting how that "pragmatism" doesnt run in both directions.

Yes, pragmatism usually doesn't run in the direction of "my way or the highway" extremists.

It is true that the progressive movement has struggled in electoral politics. They are operating at a huge financial deficit and hamstrung by the two-party system. However, there are a lot of small victories to be excited about.

I’m just tired of the lack of political imagination from the democrat establishment.

Yes, pragmatism usually doesn't run in the direction of "my way or the highway" extremists.
According to the alleged principles of the Democratic party, the Joe Manchins are the extremists. Your tent has gotten so big it's under the other tent. Following your logic there is no idealogical standard for party representation. That's not pragmatic, it's neglectful leniency.

Different electorates are going to elect different people. If you really want to make change, donate to progressive Democrat causes in red states and give the primary candidates a fighting chance against the Manchins of the world. Be a part of a progressive takeover of the Democratic Party and set the agenda. We just saw the deplorables do this in the Republican Party. It can work.

According to the alleged principles of the Democratic party, the Joe Manchins are the extremists. Your tent has gotten so big it's under the other tent. Following your logic there is no idealogical standard for party representation. That's not pragmatic, it's neglectful leniency.

Manchin beat his opponent 111K to 48K in the Dem primary. He apparently isn't an extremist among Dems in WV. And I would rather him win and reach agreement with the Dems on some issues, than to have somebody who opposes literally everything the Dems stand for.

You need votes to get things passed.

Yep. A progressive group from WV could probably get a meeting with Manchin. Not so much for his Republican challenger.

Manchin beat his opponent 111K to 48K in the Dem primary. He apparently isn't an extremist among Dems in WV. And I would rather him win and reach agreement with the Dems on some issues, than to have somebody who opposes literally everything the Dems stand for.

You need votes to get things passed.
Joe Manchin the incumbent outspent his no name opponent 5-1 with the full support of the DNC. Im not going to let you ignore the context of these primary elections. I know its very important for Joe Manchin's job security that you're convinced he's the only electable candidate, but i'm not convinced.

Yes you always have a bevy of excuses as to why progressive candidates get absolutely destroyed in primaries except for the fact that they're just not very good candidates. It's kind of like the right-wing and their current deep state paranoia.

Yes you always have a bevy of excuses as to why progressive candidates get absolutely destroyed in primaries except for the fact that they're just not very good candidates. It's kind of like the right-wing and their current deep state paranoia.
Yes, i'll admit i'm paranoid that the most well funded and well known candidates win their races; It's a real conspiracy theory.

Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy if you’re spending your money outside the party machine.

Always kills me to see Republicans wondering out loud how things got to be this way when many of us have been talking about it for years.

It is true that the progressive movement has struggled in electoral politics. They are operating at a huge financial deficit and hamstrung by the two-party system. However, there are a lot of small victories to be excited about.

I’m just tired of the lack of political imagination from the democrat establishment.

This

Back