• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

So this dude won a primary for PAs 14th.

GOP congressional candidate Reschenthaler disavows foreword to controversial book

According to a review of the book by Media Matters, Mr. Higbie referred to Hurricane Katrina survivors as “human parasites,” said Puerto Ricans should “go back” to their country if they’re so proud of it and labeled the widespread acceptance of LGBTQ people as “wrong.” He also asserted that undocumented immigrants who attempt to cross the border should be shot “dead.”

On the topic of slavery, Mr. Higbie claimed, “I certainly don’t agree with slavery, but I do think that you should play the hand you are dealt, and good physical genetics are definitely dealt to many blacks.”

In Mr. Reschenthaler’s introduction to the book, he wrote he was “impressed by [Mr. Higbie’s] no-nonsense, commonsense approach that has the power to persuade and captivate.”

Greetings e-friends. I've been volunteering for one of the DSA-endorsed campaigns for state rep for a while now. Yes, she was endorsed by DSA. Also by a number of unions, including the Teamsters, teachers, nurses, and service workers. And by Planned Parenthood and Emily's list, LGBT groups and environmental groups and grassroots groups and the Working Families Party.

And there were so many volunteers. Many, like me, who had never volunteered for a campaign before, or had never volunteered before 2017. There were just waves of people going out to knock on doors and talk to their neighbors.

Liberals had a lot of wins in PA yesterday. But I don't think the lesson is that the DSA is tea party-ing the Dem party. I think it's that the ideas backed by the DSA have a lot of support. And that you can win by putting in the work, knocking on doors, and talking to people where they are.

Last edited:
I can't find the PA state election tallies.

Vox Winners and Losers from last night.
https://www.vox.com/2018/5/15/17352704/pennsylvania-primary-results-winners-losers

[h=3]Loser: DCCC[/h] The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee does not endorse primary candidates, per se, but it does maintain a roster of Red to Blue program members who are considered the party’s best prospects for flipping seats. It sometimes adds people to Red to Blue before nominations have been settled.

One such Red to Blue recruit, entrepreneur and former Air Force officer Chrissy Houlahan, is on a glide path to Congress with an uncontested primary and the chance to run in an open seat in a district Hillary Clinton carried, thanks to the redrawn map and the retirement of incumbent Republican Rep. Ryan Costello.

But Brad Ashford, who served one term in the US House of Representatives from the Omaha-based second district, has not had it so lucky. Ashford, a moderate who used to be a Republican state legislator and who ran for Omaha mayor as a nonpartisan independent, fits the DCCC recruiting model perfectly.

Local progressives rallied instead behind Kara Eastman, a more conventional liberal who runs a nonprofit called the Omaha Healthy Kids Alliance. In national politics, she secured support from Justice Democrats and the Progressive Change Campaign Committee.

Despite running a platform of single-payer health care and a $15-per-hour minimum wage, Eastman didn’t snag an Our Revolution endorsement (likely because she backed Clinton in 2016) but also didn’t secure support from Emily’s List or NARAL. They overlooked Ashford’s past as an anti-abortion state legislator in favor of his solidly pro-abortion rights record during his two years in the House.

The race was incredibly close (and hadn’t yet been called at press time), a fact that doesn’t bode well for the DCCC’s top choices.

Eastman won.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...a-2nd-congressional-election-medicare-for-all

fake-trump POS Lou Barletta won and will face Casey

Seems encouraging that the Dem candidates for senate and governor got more votes than the two Republican candidates combined, despite running unopposed; unless Pennsylvania takes their Lt. Governors races a lot more seriously than I would think.

Last edited:
Seems encouraging that the Dem candidates for senate and governor got more votes than the two Republican candidates combined, despite running unopposed; unless Pennsylvania takes their Lt. Governors races a lot more seriously than I would think.

well, we have the dumb separate race thing and the current LTG was a total shitshow. I didn't know anything about any of the D candidates, though and their campaigning was zilch in our area

well, we have the dumb separate race thing and the current LTG was a total shitshow. I didn't know anything about any of the D candidates, though and their campaigning was zilch in our area

The guy who won had name recognition from running for senate in 2016 (he finished a distant 3rd), I assume he sees it as a stepping stone to a bigger job. The woman who came in 2nd was running for congress in Philadelphia but her district was wiped out by the redistricting, so she switched to Lt. Governor.

From yesterday:

You Should Pay Attention to the Messy Pennsylvania Primaries

BONUS Non-Pennsylvania Primary Preview: Nebraska’s Second Congressional District (Omaha)

As results wind down in Pennsylvania turn your attention to Nebraska, because the result here will tell us a lot about Democratic primary behavior in 2018.

Former Congressman Brad Ashford should win this primary in a cakewalk. He represented the district before and likely still would if not for the Comey Letter hurting the Democrats as a whole along with Hillary Clinton. But with Democrats increasingly interested in promoting the quality, not just the quantity, of elected officials, his record has attracted some additional scrutiny. While he was a reliably pro-choice vote in Congress, he wasn’t when he served in the Nebraska legislature. His support of the Keystone Pipeline was troubling too. And he seemed to take his affiliation with the Democratic Party lightly.

So I can’t blame progressives in the district from lining up behind Kara Eastman, a local nonprofit director who may not have Ashford’s record of political success (anyone who can knock off an incumbent Republican in 2014, which Ashford did, has skill) but would be a more reliable vote in Congress. The second is by no means a solidly liberal district but I don’t see any reason why a mainstream Democratic candidate like Eastman can’t win a seat that went for Obama and only gave a narrow plurality to Trump.

So the second will be a test—will Democrats reward politicians they know over women running to their left? Because if Brad Ashford can’t win, it’s hard to see how centrists with worse name recognition can elsewhere.

Progressives did very well yesterday, I'm very happy about that. The only result I was really disapointed with was Mary Scanlon defeating Rich Lazer in PA 05

Progressives did very well yesterday, I'm very happy about that. The only result I was really disapointed with was Mary Scanlon defeating Rich Lazer in PA 05

Rich Lazer was backed by a big-spending dark money group not so secretly funded by a politically powerful group in Philadelphia. At least part of the reason he lost was because the mostly suburban voters didn't want the old school powers that be in Philly to buy their congressional seat.

At least she has a voice.

Rich Lazer was backed by a big-spending dark money group not so secretly funded by a politically powerful group in Philadelphia. At least part of the reason he lost was because the mostly suburban voters didn't want the old school powers that be in Philly to buy their congressional seat.
All I really know about the race was Scanlon's history (with her law firm) of anti-union legal work.

Greetings e-friends. I've been volunteering for Elizabeth Fiedler's campaign for state rep for a while now. Yes, she was endorsed by DSA. Also by a number of unions, including the Teamsters, teachers, nurses, and service workers. And by Planned Parenthood and Emily's list, LGBT groups and environmental groups and grassroots groups and the Working Families Party.

And there were so many volunteers. Many, like me, who had never volunteered for a campaign before, or had never volunteered before 2017. There were just waves of people going out to knock on doors and talk to their neighbors.

Liberals had a lot of wins in PA yesterday. But I don't think the lesson is that the DSA is tea party-ing the Dem party. I think it's that the ideas backed by the DSA have a lot of support. And that you can win by putting in the work, knocking on doors, and talking to people where they are.

BTW, the margins of the wins for Summer Lee and Sara Innnamorato are crazy. They both ran against incumbents and got around 2/3 of the vote.

So, you're an anti-business marxist clown. Noice!!!

All I really know about the race was Scanlon's history (with her law firm) of anti-union legal work.

That's fair, there were so many people running, it was nuts. The vote was really fractured, so if she wins in November it will be interesting to see if someone challenges her in the primary in 2020. (And if she doesn't, there will be more time to run a campaign and hopefully fewer people running.)

I really like Molly Sheehan, but she had been running since last fall and had struggled to raise money and get endorsements.

Back