• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

She beat a popular mayor recruited by the DCCC to run for this seat.

There are still votes that haven't been counted, but they are already at 100,000 total votes cast in the Dem primary in this district.

In 2014, the last mid-term election, the Dem challenger received 98,000 votes in the general election.

More on these numbers:

surprised MDMH isnt running his victory lap over the Dem gov. race in Georgia this morning

surprised MDMH isnt running his victory lap over the Dem gov. race in Georgia this morning
I'm happy that the most progressive candidate had the support of the establishment in that race. I hope that becomes a trend.

Stacey Abrams has a place in hell for running (and beating !) another woman. Her place is probably slightly higher (lower?) than Stacey Evans for running against Stacey Abrams.

Stacey Abrams has a place in hell for running (and beating !) another woman. Her place is probably slightly higher (lower?) than Stacey Evans for running against Stacey Abrams.

LOL. I hope this woman on woman action becomes the norm. Evans sounds like a good candidate as well.

LOL. I hope this woman on woman action becomes the norm. Evans sounds like a good candidate as well.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

A public defender challenged and beat a Republican-appointed judge in Georgia:

Quick ousted from bench, Norris retains judgeship

One Athens area Superior Court judge Tuesday was ousted after serving less than a year on the bench while another relative newcomer retained his seat by edging out a challenger.

Both contested judgeships were in the Western Judicial Circuit, which covers Athens-Clarke and Oconee counties.

According to Tuesday’s final election results from the Georgia Secretary of State’s office, longtime public defender Lisa Lott defeated incumbent Judge Regina Quick by 9.24 percent, garnering 13,380 votes to Quick’s 11,115 votes.

You're being an ass - if you want to keep the argument going i'm happy to oblige. A major tenet of Hillary's '16 campaign, and the the current #resistance movement, is that progressive women should be politically empowered. You can troll all you want, people expect the Democratic establishment to uphold that feminist empowerment movement even when the female candidate isn't a "pragmatic" establishment shit head. Hillary didn't have to endorse anyone in the race, she could have stayed out of it; Instead, she chose to oppose the progressive female candidate and endorse Cuomo. The reason that is important enough to care about is because Hillary is the goddamned avatar of the whole feminist empowerment movement. You can be damn sure that when Bernie or Our Revolution endorses a male primary candidate with a female opponent, that feminist element is used against them.

I don't know what's going on in your neck of the woods, but with all the snail mail/postcardish stuff I'm getting, I must be the only person in OC who isn't running for something.

How Amy McGrath Went From Marine Fighter Pilot to Victorious Democrat

Mr. Nickolas, who had never worked in a campaign in the digital era, saw the Washington rebuke as an opportunity to run the campaign his way, without having to hew to the DCCC playbook. That meant buying ad space in small town newspapers for opinion pieces by Ms. McGrath, buying billboard space, and building a field operation in rural areas where few Democrats have dared to even campaign in recent years.

Mr. Nickolas wanted voters to see Ms. McGrath as he saw her, “the combination of normal, even awkward, with powerful, that makes her authentic and accessible and blends the young mother with three kids and the Marine lieutenant colonel.”

Setting up field operations earlier than usual is also something I heard on the radio about Stacey Abrams' campaign. From February:

Why Abrams is spending so much cash so early in Georgia governor’s race

How The Democratic Primaries Are Shaping Up So Far

Ideology Is Scrambling The Pundits

Robert hits the nail on the head when discussing ideology in the races below, and it’s not surprising - he’s watching each race day by day. Pundits who come into the races late can often miss the finer points that really define the races. One key thing to keep in mind is that the Sanders versus Clinton primary didn’t come down to ideology in the minds of many voters. The chart below shows self-placement on a seven-point services and spending scale for Sanders and Clinton voters in the American National Election Studies 2016 survey. As you can see, the candidates had a similar base of support, though Clinton voters were somewhat more likely to place themselves in the center. As I’ve argued, the party is pretty united on key ideological questions likely to come up in primaries, and in many cases the establishment candidates have embraced the left. Gina Ortiz Jones, who picked up a DCCC endorsement after a strong first-round performance, supports Medicare for All, and DCCC endorsee Randy Bryce supports defunding ICE.

Publix suspends political contributions amid statewide protests
The supermarket giant acknowledges its support of Adam Putnam has "led to a divide in our community."

This was a big story in FL this week. Huge victory for anybody who doesn't like big corporate spending on politics. The Parkland kids were active in this as well.

There's much more to this. Putnam is the Agricultural Commissioner. Publix has been bankrolling him for over 20 years.
https://www.abcactionnews.com/money...ack-grade-following-investigation-into-publix

TAMPA, Fla. - Back in November, in a special ABC Action News I-Team Investigation, we showed you seven local Publix grocery stores failed their health inspections.

And the day after our story aired, the Department of Agriculture, in charge of inspecting grocery stores, removed all pass/fail grades and pulled all inspections off-line. Why?

"I believe that the pass/fail system is unclear because if it's a failure, why is it still open?" explained Adam Putnam, who's Florida's Department of Agriculture Commissioner.

Putnam is the man who decided to stop issuing grades for all grocery stores, bakeries and convenience stores.

"I think we need to have a grading scale that is more reflective of the conditions in that store, so that the consumers are aware and can make their shopping decisions accordingly," Putnam explained.

But making those shopping decisions can be challenging, when looking at recent inspection reports online.

The I-Team has uncovered inspections online don't indicate if a violation is serious, if a re-inspection or discipline is required, and no grades are posted anymore.

Last edited:
Activists Take Paid Sick Leave Fight to San Antonio with 144,000 Signatures

San Antonio activists on Thursday submitted about twice the number of signatures necessary to get a mandatory paid sick leave ordinance on the ballot in November. About 100 people turned in dozens of white cardboard boxes containing some 144,000 signatures, which now await verification by the city.

“For two months, we’ve been canvassing communities,” said Alex Birnel, an organizer with MOVE San Antonio, a youth organization that helped gather the signatures. “We heard the message loud and clear: Paid sick time is coming to San Antonio.”

48th Republican to not run despite the GOP being completely in charge of all three branches of government. How are they tired of all that winning?

Back