• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Agreed, especially Brat. (Although they helped him by obtaining and leaking private info on his opponent, so there's that.)

There are a bunch of new ads up today, but most are targeting the same seats on that list. The only new one is WA-8, where the incumbent is retiring but the Republicans have a strong candidate.

There are now six ads each for NY-22 and KY-6, districts Trump won by 15+ points.

I can see not spending $$ on Comstock, whose goose is probably cooked by both Trump and changing NOVA demographics, and Riggleman, who they figure will win anyway. But I don't get abandoning Brat and Taylor. Both VA-2&7 have been in Pub hands forever and are less about changing demographics and more about Pubs starting to lose lily white and well educated exurbs because of Trump and health care costs.

To be fair, there are only ads for two of the 27 districts rated "lean R," so they may have a different strategy for Taylor. Or they could be unconcerned about his race. I've just been tracking the attack ads since Dave Wasserman from Cook political posted that the best defense for Republicans would be to drag down their opponents through August and September.

There's no attack ad for the Dem opponent in open NJ-11, but Mike Pence has been helping the Republican nominee:

2018 midterms: Mike Pence looks to help Jay Webber catch Mikie Sherrill in fundraising

It takes some balls to see a video go viral, see your opponent lauded for what's in the viral video, and then cut it to use it in a campaign ad.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/...s-now-evenly-divided-on-impeaching-trump.html

Americans Now Evenly Divided on Impeaching Trump

PPP's new national poll finds that Donald Trump's popularity as President has declined precipitously just over the last two weeks. On our first poll of his Presidency voters were evenly divided on Trump, with 44% approving of him and 44% also disapproving. Now his approval rating is 43%, while his disapproval has gone all the way up to 53%. If voters could choose they'd rather have both Barack Obama (52/44) or Hillary Clinton (49/45) instead of Trump.

Just three weeks into his administration, voters are already evenly divided on the issue of impeaching Trump with 46% in favor and 46% opposed. Support for impeaching Trump has crept up from 35% 2 weeks ago, to 40% last week, to its 46% standing this week. While Clinton voters initially only supported Trump's impeachment 65/14, after seeing him in office over the last few weeks that's gone up already to 83/6.

Horse Shit.

It takes some balls to see a video go viral, see your opponent lauded for what's in the viral video, and then cut it to use it in a campaign ad.

And maybe some desperation too. The latest NBC poll has Beta within 4 points of Cruz. I still don't think he's going to win, but he does have Cruz sweating at this point. They'll throw everything they've got at him over the next couple of months. It wouldn't surprise me if they have commercials of Beta lookalikes eating puppies and kittens before this is over.

Horse Shit.
7b7ac36e4706893f9a840cc08cb09c6e.jpg

The FL Gov Lt. Gov picks are in.

Ron DeSantis chose Jeanette Nunez, a state legislator from Kendall (South Miami). She would be the first Cuban-American Lt. Gov.
https://www.tampabay.com/florida-po...g-mate-miami-state-legislator-jeanette-nunez/

Nunez deleted a 2016 tweet calling Trump a "con man."
http://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...ed-tweet-calling-trump-con-man-kkk-supporter/
Florida Rep. Jeanette Nuñez in 2016 tweeted that Donald Trump was the "biggest con-man there is" and accused him of being a supporter of the Ku Klux Klan.
Flash forward to Thursday morning and Nunez is now the running mate of Republican governor nominee Rep. Ron DeSantis. And the Tweet is gone from Nuñez 's feed.

"The Tweet has been deleted," her account says.

But this is 2018 and the Internet never forgets.
nunez.png

Andrew Gillum chose Chris King as his Lt. Gov. King was the 5th place finisher in the Dem gubernatorial primary and an unabashed progressive. He was seen as an ally to Gillum in debates. He is an Orlando area businessman and was one of the four millionaires in the race. King's wife, Kristen, is a Wake alum.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-po...ch-live-andrew-gillum-announces-running-mate/

King previously tweeted that he wasn't "led" to be Lt. Gov.

Both tweets seem pretty honest to me.

Definitely. Honest in the context of the campaigns going on at the time. I don't think either tweet makes either person look bad right now. Obviously Nunez isn't the only Republican to change their tone on Trump in the last 2 years. And also obviously, a gubernatorial candidate isn't going to say "Yeah, I'd totally be Lt. Gov" during a primary.

Definitely. Honest in the context of the campaigns going on at the time. I don't think either tweet makes either person look bad right now. Obviously Nunez isn't the only Republican to change their tone on Trump in the last 2 years. And also obviously, a gubernatorial candidate isn't going to say "Yeah, I'd totally be Lt. Gov" during a primary.

Nunez surely still believes the same things about trump. Just has to appeal to the rubes. I’m sure Lt. Gov is a disappointment.

Chris King is married to a Wake lady, Kristen Beck, from my class -- super hot and a cool person.

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Yeah. I didn't really know her, but I remembered she was super hot. Still is. She seems super cool in the introduction video.

Last edited:
Update for cville: today the CLF added an attack ad for VA-7 (and a bunch more for districts already targeted.)

Update for cville: today the CLF added an attack ad for VA-7 (and a bunch more for districts already targeted.)

Just saw this one. Can't find it on youtube yet, but it contained the phrase "Terror High" (referring to a high school for terrorists).

Magnet schools have gotten out of hand.

Back