• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

With 66% reporting in the Republican Alabama primary it's:

Roy Moore 40.6% (109,959) Remember, this is the guy who has been removed from his bench seat as Alabama Supreme Court Justice, TWICE. Once for refusing to remove a 10 commandments monument from the courthouse, and the next for refusing to comply with the gay marriage law.

Luther Strange 32% (91.452) Who people think did not persue prosecution of the Alabama governor after he was forced to resign for a sex scandal, in exchange for being named interim senator.

Mo Brooks 19.2% Who Mitch McConnel's Super PAC said supports the Islamic State.

If nobody gets above 50%, then there will be a runoff between the top 2.

Doug Jones is crushing the Democratic primary, 64% to Robert Kennedy's 18.6%.

Roy Moore is an absolute embarrassment.

Roy Moore is an absolute embarrassment.

Holy shit, this guy is going to be a Senator!? This whole interview is bonkers, but omg:

Roy Moore
There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country. Up in Illinois. Christian communities; I don’t know if they may be Muslim communities.

But Sharia law is a little different from American law. It is founded on religious concepts.

Jeff Stein
Which American communities are under Sharia law? When did they fall under Sharia law?

Roy Moore
Well, there’s Sharia law, as I understand it, in Illinois, Indiana — up there. I don't know.

Jeff Stein
That seems like an amazing claim for a Senate candidate to make.

Roy Moore
Well, let me just put it this way — if they are, they are; if they’re not, they’re not.

That doesn’t matter. Oklahoma tried passing a law restricting Sharia law, and it failed. Do you know about that?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/15/16151182/alabama-senate-roy-moore

Well, I heard Mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ol' Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

Holy shit, this guy is going to be a Senator!? This whole interview is bonkers, but omg:

Roy Moore
There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country. Up in Illinois. Christian communities; I don’t know if they may be Muslim communities.

But Sharia law is a little different from American law. It is founded on religious concepts.

Jeff Stein
Which American communities are under Sharia law? When did they fall under Sharia law?

Roy Moore
Well, there’s Sharia law, as I understand it, in Illinois, Indiana — up there. I don't know.

Jeff Stein
That seems like an amazing claim for a Senate candidate to make.

Roy Moore
Well, let me just put it this way — if they are, they are; if they’re not, they’re not.

That doesn’t matter. Oklahoma tried passing a law restricting Sharia law, and it failed. Do you know about that?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/15/16151182/alabama-senate-roy-moore

Roy Moore seems to think our laws are formed on religious concepts, since he wouldn't remove the Ten Commandments statue.

here's the solution: Hey, smart liberals and conservatives: run for office instead of posting on the boards

no self-respecting person with a good education should go into politics. no money to be made unless you are dirty and the political atmosphere is too turbulent.

edited to say that the educated people in Alabama are hard enough to find.

yeah but again, most of these people made their money already. I'm not asking you to attempt a multi-million dollar senate run when you're 25 but people could start with part-time local positions and affect change in their communities

yeah but again, most of these people made their money already. I'm not asking you to attempt a multi-million dollar senate run when you're 25 but people could start with part-time local positions and affect change in their communities

That is how most, except the richest, start out. Begin with a city council or county board of supervisors, then General Assembly, then AG or Lt Gov, then Gov or US senate. Mark Warner was rich as shite, so he skipped a few steps. But Kaine was Richmond city council for his start.

here's the solution: Hey, smart liberals and conservatives: run for office instead of posting on the boards

Alabama had at least three educated and well qualified candidates run on the Democratic ballot (there were a total of 6 but I only read up on three of them). A former US attorney, a successful and well respected business man, a lawyer and Univ of Alabama graduate, and still Roy Moore got more votes than all 6 democrats combined. I think being smart actually hits four electability here.

Is it a coincidence McConnell's PAC released this on the day Trump is having a rally in Arizona? Is Trump expected to endorse Ward at the rally?

It's looking more and more like the primaries will be all out war between Trump and the establishment.

Trump is in Reno today. Dean Heller's primary opponent took out a full page ad in a Reno newspaper to post a letter to Trump.

Trumps comments:
I'm happy to be here today in Reno with the vitamin D, got a couple of couches sleep on the love seat. Someone keeps saying I'm insane to complain about a shotgun wedding and a stain on my shirt. Don't believe everything that you read, you'll get a parking violation and a maggot on your sleeve.

According to Wikipedia, he's lost 5 elections since 2004. So he's a loser unlike his dad, famed UNLV basketball coach, Jerry Tarkanian.

Bannon wages war against Trump-backed candidate in Alabama

Bannon presented the late September primary runoff as a defining battle between the conservative base and the GOP establishment, saying it pits those who elected Trump against those who resisted him. The Conservative Action Project is an umbrella organization of dozens of prominent groups representing various viewpoints of the conservative and tea party movements.

Back