• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Heller really botched that whole process. Coming out hard against the bill while standing with his governor, then slowly having his arm twisted by wealthy donors, and finally voting for the bill that his governor had come out against.

Town Hall Project's Missing Members of Congress

177 members of Congress have not held a single in-person town hall this year. Is yours one of them?

Pennsylvania members of Congress really don't want to face their constituents. (Including my Dem rep.)

20 of the 48 Republicans being targeted by Swing Left have not held a town hall.

Doesn't matter. Got paid.

It's possible McCain took the fall for a few Republicans who were against it but didn't want to risk losing campaign cash.

Doesn't matter. Got paid.

It's possible McCain took the fall for a few Republicans who were against it but didn't want to risk losing campaign cash.

Could be. Seems like the Pubs already knew he was going to vote no because they didn't have Pence on hand to break the tie. I also think that, given his health, he wanted to give what could be his last big middle finger to Trump.

If McCain was planned, McConnell should get an Oscar.

Pence was there, he was pushing McCain to vote yes.

pbox.php

Sadly, I was watching it, live, at 1:00am, on CSPAN-2. That's painful to type. Pence definitely came and was lobbying for an extended period before finally stepping out.

Sadly, I was watching it, live, at 1:00am, on CSPAN-2. That's painful to type. Pence definitely came and was lobbying for an extended period before finally stepping out.

No, I think you deserve some sort of award or recognition. When did Pence actually leave - in the middle of voting?

If there was a deal between squeamish Pubs and McCain, no way McConnell and Pence would know.

IOWA DEMOCRATS WIN SPECIAL ELECTION IN TRUMP +22 DISTRICT

Miller was about as ideal of a candidate as you could hope for in this race: a well-known community leader who locals trusted from his work as a large and small-animal veterinarian. But Republicans ran an intensely negative campaign on TV, attacking Miller for his vote on the Fairfield School Board to keep a policy on transgender bathrooms in place. The ordeal was a huge local controversy in Fairfield for most of 2016, and Republicans whipped up the anti-transgender sentiment despite a recent transgender teen’s suicide in June.

While cultural issues like that may have contributed to Trump’s victory in Iowa in 2016, the Republican Party here had not been so brazen in their advertising on issues like bathrooms in the past. Many LGBTQ advocates worried that had the Republican candidate been successful tonight, it would give the GOP incentive to push for anti-transgender policies at the Statehouse next session and run on that issue in 2018. Instead, many Republican political consultants and party leaders may now second-guess whether that’s a winning issue to run on. Miller won a massive victory in Jefferson County, where the controversy burned the hottest, racking up a margin far larger than Hanson’s there in 2009.

Miller won this evening thanks in large part to a strong absentee ballot effort run by the House Democrats’ campaign operation. Miller received 1,886 absentee ballot votes in Jefferson County to Harris’ 376 there. Democrats have often relied on an extensive early voting effort to secure victories in Iowa, however, this will be one of the last major races to use the current voting laws. Republicans passed a voter I.D. bill this session that also cuts down on the number of days people can vote early. Most of those restrictions don’t go into effect until the 2018 general election, and could hamper Democrats’ ability to turn out their base next year.

Trump Shakes Up Alabama Senate Race With Surprise Endorsement

Moore, who is popular among religious conservatives, has said "God…sent Donald Trump in there," while Brooks, a Tea party favorite, has vowed to read the King James Bible on the Senate floor until the president's border wall with Mexico gets built. Strange has called Trump’s election a "Biblical miracle."

Following Trump’s surprise tweet on Tuesday, Brooks doubled down on his criticism of Strange and accused Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., a Strange supporter, of "misleading" the president into making the endorsement.

"I respect President Trump, but I am baffled and disappointed Mitch McConnell and the Swamp somehow misled the President into endorsing Luther Strange," Brooks said.

Stay safe out there, birdman.

The Christian wackjobs scare me at least three hundred times as much as your average Muslim.

Well there's probably 300,000 times more of them in the US, so you're understating the threat.

The AL Secretary of State is expecting less than 15% of Republicans showing up to vote today.

Article on today's Alabama Senate Democrat primary involving mystery candidate Robert Kennedy, Jr.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...doesn_t_exist_in_the_alabama_senate_race.html

"The problem for Brooks is that Republican primary voters won’t listen to his breakdown of parliamentary procedure if they think he’s a supporter of both Nancy Pelosi and the Islamic State. That’s the impression some voters have thanks to one of the more outlandish ads from the McConnell-affiliated super PAC."

"Brooks implored his audience to check out his “Trump score” on FiveThirtyEight, which shows how often he votes with the president (92.5 percent). But it’s a steep, uphill climb for him to change voters’ minds once he’s been defined this negatively in television ads."

“I just want to say kudos to Mitch McConnell,” Brooks said. “Mitch McConnell got his guy.”

I'm certainly not a Mo Brooks supporter (I live in his district, and am a Democrat) but I am laughing out loud at the people who aren't voting for him because McConnell's PAC said that he supports the Islamic State and Pelosi. It is terrifying that there are A: People with lots of money spreading that message and B: People dumb enough to hear that on TV and simply write someone off. McConnell truly doesn't care what kind of lies he has to make up to get his agenda passed.

Last edited:
With 66% reporting in the Republican Alabama primary it's:

Roy Moore 40.6% (109,959) Remember, this is the guy who has been removed from his bench seat as Alabama Supreme Court Justice, TWICE. Once for refusing to remove a 10 commandments monument from the courthouse, and the next for refusing to comply with the gay marriage law.

Luther Strange 32% (91.452) Who people think did not persue prosecution of the Alabama governor after he was forced to resign for a sex scandal, in exchange for being named interim senator.

Mo Brooks 19.2% Who Mitch McConnel's Super PAC said supports the Islamic State.

If nobody gets above 50%, then there will be a runoff between the top 2.

Doug Jones is crushing the Democratic primary, 64% to Robert Kennedy's 18.6%.

Last edited:
Back