• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

I would hope cooler heads prevail on impeachment. So far I haven’t seen Dems running on impeachment. I hope that stands for two reasons. First of all, if Dems stand for actually doing investigations in the Senate and House and exposing the sham “investigations” that are ongoing, they adopt a “wait for the facts” position and force Republicans to continue to defend Trump. Second, if they’re in the position to impeach him, they’re in the position to neutralize the GOP agenda. Impeaching Trump isn’t going to do anything to stop the EOs. President Pence will just do more of the same.

I’ll add one more to the list. Why would Dems promise to get rid of Trump in 2019 when they can put it on voters to do in 2020. Avoid the appearance that the job is done. Don’t take victory laps.

I agree with your reasoning completely. That said, I agree with 07 that a lot of Dems aren't going to stick with the party line. And 07, hoping that leadership leads and holds when it begins with Pelosi doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

A lot of this is about making sure the 2018 focus is on policy and addressing constituent needs and not just Trump.

A OWG buddy of mine (who I was surprised to find out is a registered Pub) put it like this. Hillary’s approach was like going into a job interview and talking about how much the other job candidates suck.

I don’t think Dems in local or state races should mention Trump. Senate and House Dems should call for actual investigations but not call for impeachment.

The path to taking back the House includes winning many gerrymandered red districts. I don't think impeachment would be the best thing to run on.

I remember seeing Michael Steele talk about how they intentionally ran against Nancy Pelosi instead of Obama. And it was clearly effective.

Run on the issues. (Especially healthcare!) From what I've seen so far, it seems like Dem candidates have been doing that. And some have crowded primaries, so if they don't feel they need to run on impeachment now, hopefully that means they won't feel they need to in the general.

The path to taking back the House includes winning many gerrymandered red districts. I don't think impeachment would be the best thing to run on.

I remember seeing Michael Steele talk about how they intentionally ran against Nancy Pelosi instead of Obama. And it was clearly effective.

Run on the issues. (Especially healthcare!) From what I've seen so far, it seems like Dem candidates have been doing that. And some have crowded primaries, so if they don't feel they need to run on impeachment now, hopefully that means they won't feel they need to in the general.

I don't think most Democratic candidates will run on impeachment this year, unless something drastic happens. However, if they take the House (increasingly likely, judging from polls) and/or the Senate (less likely), I think there will be great pressure next year from the Dem base to impeach Trump. Just as many people underestimated the hatred for Hillary in 2016, I think many people (including the news media and even many Democratic leaders) have underestimated just how hated Trump has become to the Dem base.

If the Dems do win the House and/or Senate this year, it would be a very bad mistake to try and impeach Trump, at least not without major GOP support (which I don't see happening), or some serious incident or event that convinces even many Republicans and Independents that he has to go. By January 2019 you're less than 18 months from the next presidential election, and if the Democrats win big this year it should be a clear sign that Trump is in serious trouble, so you're probably better off politically to let Trump sink himself and the GOP even more, rather than trying to impeach and tearing the country apart (and no doubt infuriating the GOP base just in time for 2020). Hopefully, a Democratic House and/or Senate will resist the temptation to try and impeach, despite the pressure from their base.

I don't think most Democratic candidates will run on impeachment this year, unless something drastic happens. However, if they take the House (increasingly likely, judging from polls) and/or the Senate (less likely), I think there will be great pressure next year from the Dem base to impeach Trump. Just as many people underestimated the hatred for Hillary in 2016, I think many people (including the news media and even many Democratic leaders) have underestimated just how hated Trump has become to the Dem base.

If the Dems do win the House and/or Senate this year, it would be a very bad mistake to try and impeach Trump, at least not without major GOP support (which I don't see happening), or some serious incident or event that convinces even many Republicans and Independents that he has to go. By January 2019 you're less than 18 months from the next presidential election, and if the Democrats win big this year it should be a clear sign that Trump is in serious trouble, so you're probably better off politically to let Trump sink himself and the GOP even more, rather than trying to impeach and tearing the country apart (and no doubt infuriating the GOP base just in time for 2020). Hopefully, a Democratic House and/or Senate will resist the temptation to try and impeach, despite the pressure from their base.

Agreed, unless Mueller recommends charges that closely link Trump and Russia in a plot to influence the election or to promote Russian interests in exchange for personal gain. Or if he perjures himself. Then impeach away.

'17 Specials & '18 Midterms Thread

Wow. Very impressive. Many of the women coming off the sidelines this cycle have incredible bios.

Last edited:
Who TF would? She's an effin' traitor. She should count her lucky stars that Obama commuted her sentence. She's delusional if she thinks she'll get any traction. But then again, it was already pretty apparent she has some mental health issues. Thankfully, she shouldn't even be a road bump for Cardin.
Traitor my ass, she fucking exposed our military commiting war crimes. I wish I could vote for her, shes a fucking bawse.

benedict arnold was a hero and a traitor
The fact that you were born in this country is no fucking reason to approve of our military indescriminately murdering foreign civilians. Thank God for whistleblowers like Chelsea Manning and fuck anyone who believes that our government should be able to keep our war crimes a secret.

The fact that you were born in this country is no fucking reason to approve of our military indescriminately murdering foreign civilians. Thank God for whistleblowers like Chelsea Manning and fuck anyone who believes that our government should be able to keep our war crimes a secret.

thanks to Chelsea the US military never killed a civilian again

thanks to Chelsea the US military never killed a civilian again

Thanks to Martin Luther King Jr, black people never faced discrimination again.

What game are you playing?

No. You want to judge one person's effort by far broader circumstances?

I have no idea what your point is. Exposing wrongdoing is meaningless? I have no idea.

I have no idea what your point is. Exposing wrongdoing is meaningless? I have no idea.

Classic Captain. Illogical and condescending at the same time.

my original point was that a person can do heroic/patriotic things and still be a traitor. MDMH fainted onto his couch for the 100th or so time today and i got annoyed, that's it.

Back