• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

A major goal of Trump has been to undo and wipe out everything Obama did as POTUS, and to make it as if he was never president (no doubt for reasons racial and personal.) Since Obamacare is probably Obama's signature legislative achievement, undoing it would no doubt give Trump vast personal satisfaction. As it now looks like he might lose in November, he's apparently going to go all-out in one last attempt to abolish the ACA before he leaves office. It's a dumb move politically, but as an act of revenge and pettiness against Obama, it actually fits.

fwiw

Y0lkuRO.png

Hmmm...sounds like what I've been posting since before the election...

Johnson County has a population of 23k and is literally 98% white. There were 200k absentee votes in Jefferson County

I feel a little like plama typing this, but why does it take so long to count absentee ballots?

fair. need more data from Jeff Co.

+Fayette County, and the surrounding counties. RJ and others don't seem to realize that Booker is a State Rep in Louisville and has name recognition in the state that goes back further than his recent national recognition. He's going to have a strong lead in absentee ballots from 4/5 of the most populous counties in Kentucky (Jefferson, Fayette, Kenton, Boone, Warren), and he ran even in the one he lost (Boone). Those 5 counties make up 40% of all the statewide votes.

Interesting fact, 74% (89/120) of Kentucky's counties have below 35k population.
Texas - 87/254 (34%) counties below 35k
California - 12/58 (20%)
New York State - 5/62 (8%)
West Virginia - 39/55 (70%)
North Carolina - 33/100
Arkansas - 53/75 (71%)
North Dakota - 46/53 (86%)
Nevada - 9/17 (52%)
Maine - 4/16 (25%)

Last edited:
When the Constitution was written, the average life expectancy for a man was somewhere in his 50s. If they had known that lifetime appointees would someday routinely live into their 80s or 90s, I doubt that they would have included that provision, and would instead have included some form of term limits for federal judges, SC justices, and similar positions instead of lifetime appointments. I also agree that term limits (or at least a maximum age limit) should be included for elected officials as well. Even if you can physically serve as a Senator or Congressman into your 80s and 90s, the mental aspect isn't nearly as clear. Maybe having 75 be the maximum age would be a good place to start, although as you said, my guess is that the leading pols in both parties would fight like hell to keep that from happening.

I'm not as concerned with the mental aspect of older congressmen as I am with them becoming out of touch or holding over ideas which are no longer applicable. People are always complaining about Schumer acting like there are still moderate Republicans, but that is partially because he has been in Congress since the early 80s. Also, the overwhelming advantage that long term incumbents have in getting reelected stifles the potential for new leadership and new ideas.

I don't get the bickering over KY. Whoever wins is still going to lose by double digits in the general.

+Fayette County, and the surrounding counties. RJ and others don't seem to realize that Booker is a State Rep in Louisville and has name recognition in the state that goes back further than his recent national recognition. He's going to have a strong lead in absentee ballots from 4/5 of the most populous counties in Kentucky (Jefferson, Fayette, Kenton, Boone, Warren), and he ran even in the one he lost (Boone). Those 5 counties make up 40% of all the statewide votes.

You can more than double your money on Booker right now if you think he's going to win

NlpLghW.png

GOP challenger Dr. Paul John Frangedakis

no views

12 subscribers

Pulling a gun on his wife might lose him Murfreesboro, but that might help him in the rest of that district, which is R+20. TN is Nashville, Memphis and everything else deep red. The least red other district is R+18.

Why donate at all in a race from another state that is a sure loser?

Looks like RJ (and Kory?) were right about McGrath and Booker, RJ especially. The Kentucky absentee votes have majorly swung in McGraths favor, even in the metro counties where Booker dominated the in-person vote. At this point I dont think even winning Jefferson by 65% would put Booker ahead. I gotta take the L on this one.

Last edited:
Back