• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

'19 Special & '20 Congressional Election Thread

"I want to do what's best for Kentucky, and when President Trump has good ideas, I'm going to be for them. To me it's not about your political party, it's not about wearing a red jersey or blue jersey."

If you think about why Kentuckians voted for Trump, they wanted to drain the swamp, and Trump said that he was going to do that," McGrath said during the announcement of her candidacy on MSNBC's Morning Joe. "Trump promised to bring back jobs. He promised to lower drug prices for so many Kentuckians. And that is very important."

"And you know what? Who stops them along the way? Who stops the president from doing these things? Mitch McConnell," she continued on MSNBC. "And I think that that’s very important, and that’s going to be my message – the things that Kentuckians voted for Trump for are not being done. He’s not able to get it done because of Senator McConnell."

You really just have to question Chuck Schumer's judgment on his McGrath pick. The best case scenario for his decision that I can come up with is that by bolstering McGrath's candidacy is that he saw it as a cash grab for the DNC and never thought that she could win in the first place.

"I want to do what's best for Kentucky, and when President Trump has good ideas, I'm going to be for them. To me it's not about your political party, it's not about wearing a red jersey or blue jersey."

This is the rhetoric you should use if you're a moderate ex-fighter pilot running mostly on that ethos in red Kentucky, CMV.

Esp. if you're running to be a cash vacuum.

I disagree with this. Many Democrats, voters and politicians, oppose my interests in philosophy and action. It serves me no purpose for me to assume good faith in them. When I go to the doctor and am prescribed a medicine that is unaffordable, what should I think of the voters and politicians that opposed the regulations that would drive that drug cost down? There is no grey area in whether or not you can afford medicine, or innumerable other areas regarding human dignity. Politics is personal, and is very often a competition for resources. The notion that no one in my political party could be my enemy is naive. Ideologically speaking, the party line between Republicans and Democrats is arbitrary and subjective. Amy McGrath is closer in ideology to most Republicans than she is to me.

It's absurd and obscene that W passed a law that the government couldn't negotiate RX prices. This could save billions and drive down prices for the public.

It's another reason why having a full public option will drive private insurance into niche markets or out of business. If Medicare/public option had the ability to negotiate fair prices, they would drop quickly and dramatically.

You really just have to question Chuck Schumer's judgment on his McGrath pick. The best case scenario for his decision that I can come up with is that by bolstering McGrath's candidacy is that he saw it as a cash grab for the DNC and never thought that she could win in the first place.

I don't think much went into it. Think back 20 months ago and name another Democrat in KY. You'd probably name McGrath. She got a lot of attention for the House race she lost. She was the obvious pick. Booker came out of "nowhere" to mount a very strong comeback. He should be the DNC choice to face Paul. If he isn't, then you have a serious gripe.

He could have picked any of a dozen Dems who actually won a statewide race prior, though?

I don't think much went into it. Think back 20 months ago and name another Democrat in KY. You'd probably name McGrath. She got a lot of attention for the House race she lost. She was the obvious pick. Booker came out of "nowhere" to mount a very strong comeback. He should be the DNC choice to face Paul. If he isn't, then you have a serious gripe.

Agree with your take. But either way, KY is a loser, and any national $$ should be funneled to winnable states.

It's interesting to consider McGrath's 2018 campaign vs 2020. In 2018 she wasn't the establishment's choice for the nomination, and I remember interviews where her team said that freed them up to do things the crowd in DC would not necessarily recommend. This round she was the establishment choice, and came off poll-tested and overly cautious.

Especially when you consider the comments from Jeff Jackson in NC, where he wanted to kick off a Senate campaign by having 100 townhalls in 100 days, and Schumer supposedly told him he should concentrate on raising money instead.

Need some new leadership in the party.

Who are the dozen Dems who have won statewide in Kentucky?

Who are the dozen Dems who have won statewide in Kentucky?

9 KY state senators are Dems. Booker is one of 38 Dems in the state House. A dozen was just a random number I chose, and that's what I meant by statewide.

Gotcha. Winning statewide usually means winning an election among all voters in the state.

I agree but how many of them could you have named 20 months ago? I don’t want to get into another discussion of name recognition but the DNC isn’t going to invest in someone without a solid base to work from even if they aren’t likely to win.

I guess my gripe is more with picking known losers, name recognition notwithstanding.

I guess my gripe is more with picking known losers, name recognition notwithstanding.

Sure. The DNC is risk-averse. I'm sure they rank potential candidates as follows:
1. Known winners
2. Known losers
3. Unknown winners
4. Unknown losers

McGrath came very close to winning what had been a solidly red congressional seat 2 years ago and has a very solid National fundraising operation already set up.in the real world she is a pro-choice Democrat who supports expanding entitlements and fixing ACA.

Seems like a pretty good choice to me to make McConnell work and what is a solidly red state.

Her biggest mistake was not doing groundwork to get involved with Kentucky Democrats.

Last edited:
Whoever said it earlier was right, ultimately, the party knows it can’t win the seat and prefers someone who can make them money in the process. I know that in my heart, I just want it to work differently.

Whoever said it earlier was right, ultimately, the party knows it can’t win the seat and prefers someone who can make them money in the process. I know that in my heart, I just want it to work differently.

make them money and force the RNC to spend more in KY than they normally would, diverting it from actual closer races

Back