• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

1981 Deacon Basketball Team

Clearly whoever coached that team was horrible. 4 NBA Players and they lost in the first round?!? Hopefully whoever it was got fired shortly thereafter. And that Frank Johnson kid had a brother named "Fast Eddie." Sounds like a thug.

Did you have to go on and send out the batsignal?

Yeah, that was a real good team.

Last edited:
I was at that game in Charlotte. It was not a happy experience. We lost it by missing free throws down at the end that we never should have missed. We had a good free throw shooting team. The Memphis State dance team on the other hand was a beautiful sight to behold.

I'm pretty sure that Memphis eventually had to "vacate" their NCAA wins that year. Dana Kirk was a big time cheater.

Another era of Wake hoops where we should have made a final four (and with a little luck win a title) but didn't

I'm pretty sure that Memphis eventually had to "vacate" their NCAA wins that year. Dana Kirk was a big time cheater.

They had to vacate their 1985 run to the FF. I remember that because they beat OU in the EE.

Yeah I never know which year people are talking about when they say "the 1981 team." Is it the season that ended in 1981? I just always get confused.

With college basketball, I would definitely assume the season that ended in 1981. Pro football is the one that confuses me....guess that's why they use the Roman numerals.

Back