• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

20 best beers in the world per the experts

3 russian river in the top 11 what what

I have two of those aging on my shelf right now, a KBS and Expedition.

I'm an IPA snob. IPA's and IIPA's are what I drink the most of, but I just don't get the Hopslam craze. It was a great beer back when no one made great IPA's. I feel like there's plenty of good craft competition now though. Maybe it's just the explosion of NC craft beer over the last 3-6 years and the fact that I can drink a lot of good beer that's only a few hours to days old.

drinking the ipas in nc last week made me happy to live so near anderson valley, bear republic, and russian river. really dig the west coast style more.

drinking the ipas in nc last week made me happy to live so near anderson valley, bear republic, and russian river. really dig the west coast style more.

What did you have out East and what are your 2-3 favorites out West? I bet there's some options you missed that you would have enjoyed.

I don't really buy into the "style" thing being regional anymore...you can get more malty IPA's from West Coast brewers and hoppy as hell IPA's from East Coasters.

offhand it was highland, foothills, carolina, natty green's, and maybe more. not sure which were ipas and which were others, and it may have made a diff being in the outter banks primarily (maybe older/less fresh stuff).

IPAs got big when people wanted to find beers that made them "better" or "more sophisticated" than those who drank Bud Light.

Hopefully there comes a day when its not the first beer that every brewery makes and its not a badge of honor to make the hoppiest beer possible.

meh

i've gone through the gamut of good beers and generally when the sun is shining i come back to ipas.

offhand it was highland, foothills, carolina, natty green's, and maybe more. not sure which were ipas and which were others, and it may have made a diff being in the outter banks primarily (maybe older/less fresh stuff).

those aren't good ones unfortunately. noda's hop drop and roll is about as good as it gets

IPAs got big when people wanted to find beers that made them "better" or "more sophisticated" than those who drank Bud Light.

Hopefully there comes a day when its not the first beer that every brewery makes and its not a badge of honor to make the hoppiest beer possible.

see that's the thing, the great thing about IPAs according to a brewer I spoke with once (was at a beer reception on the Hill, don't remember the brewery) is that they are the purest expression of beer. there aren't additional flavorants other than the classic beer ingredients of water, malt, barley, and hops. it's just about how you use those ingredients to make a great beer. IPAs are easily my favorite style.

The Pliny Elder and Younger are epic.

It's a serious brawl to get Pliny the Younger anywhere in the Bay Area in February. Allegedly they ship a keg to only one bar East of the Mississippi each year. This year was some Belgian bar in Philly.

Anybody notice how many stouts are on this list?! I love Great Divide's YETI stout. That's a great one.

I like a lot of those IPA's on the list, but after drinking IPA's for a while, I want something a little less intense. Kind of kills your palate after a while I think.

Headed to Kalamazoo, MI this weekend, and will see what is fresh on tap at Bell's brewery.

Wow 15/20 from the US. Seems like scarcity plays a role.

Pos rep

Bosteels_Tripel_Karmeliet.jpg

Back