• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

20 best beers in the world per the experts

i need to get some pliny, don't think i've had it

Oh, I think its great - but I think the rareness of it got it to #1. I have never actually seen it in a store - the only time I have tried it was because a dude I work with gets it from a friend of his that is a private pilot and brings back cases of it.

Yeah, they only sold it here once for that special reason, and I think it took them over a year to select a distributor who they trusted. The process of getting it is ridiculous. You have to go online to this bobo spreadsheet they have, which shows you when you can call to reserve each kind of beer, how many cases you can reserve, and then the different times you can pick it up. Then you have to give them your license plate number, and call this hotline (which I always imagined to be the oldest phone imaginable) and confirm everything. I don't know the process of actually picking it up, I wasn't there for that part. Just got one bottle of it from a friend.

Yeah, I don't have much trouble finding Lil' Sumpin' or any other other Lagunitas beers here in the CLT.

Oh, I think its great - but I think the rareness of it got it to #1. I have never actually seen it in a store - the only time I have tried it was because a dude I work with gets it from a friend of his that is a private pilot and brings back cases of it.

It's readily available at my beer distributor. To be fair though he is probably one of the best in the country. If you are ever in Emmaus, PA you must stop at Shangys.

It's readily available at my beer distributor. To be fair though he is probably one of the best in the country. If you are ever in Emmaus, PA you must stop at Shangys.

You should ask him how he's getting it, I'm curious. The monks go through pretty great lengths to prevent that from happening.

You should ask him how he's getting it, I'm curious. The monks go through pretty great lengths to prevent that from happening.

He's a man with many connections. He is also the main wholesaler of high end craft beers for eastern Pennsylvania. I'll ask the next time I stop in.

Sorry, but the IPA craze is terribly annoying. Having spent the summer drinking Czech pilsners in Prague and an array of fantastic beers in München, my perception of quality beer is forever changed.

Alright, recommendation time. I'm heading to a seasonal beer tasting fundraiser tomorrow night (everyone bring a 6 pack of a seasonal beer, you taste it and get to mix n match 4-5 to take home with you). What fall seasonal do y'all like in the sub $12 range?

This is a great idea for a fundraiser. How did it work?

Sorry, but the IPA craze is terribly annoying. Having spent the summer drinking Czech pilsners in Prague and an array of fantastic beers in München, my perception of quality beer is forever changed.

My only annoyance with beer in Germany is that 99% of bars only have 2-3 beers on tap (local beer, a pilsner, and sometimes a lager) and then wheat beers in bottles. It's all great beer, but if you're in one place for awhile it gets a bit old. Add to that the fact that I lived near Cologne so it was A LOT of kölsch.

IPAs aren't even beers to them, they consider it an ale and therefore not subject to the "beer laws." That gives flexibility to play with the flavors more. I think each (classic beers and ales) all hold a different place in a drinking man's life.

This is a great idea for a fundraiser. How did it work?

They did ok for a small get together at their townhouse. It wasn't huge, but with a $5 entry fee (which they could have easily upped) and a few small ticket silent auction items, they brought in around $700. I think with a little more promotion/planning and if they had a larger venue that could hold a few more people, it would have done really well. It was a lot of fun, but unfortunately I liked the two beers my wife and I brought the most and only had 3 total of them to take back home. I actually only brought 6 home with me. Not a big fan of pumpkin ales or ciders and the other Oktoberfests were just kind of meh to me.

Ended up taking the Highland Brewery Clawhammer Oktoberfest and the Bells Wheat Love Ale

My only annoyance with beer in Germany is that 99% of bars only have 2-3 beers on tap (local beer, a pilsner, and sometimes a lager) and then wheat beers in bottles. It's all great beer, but if you're in one place for awhile it gets a bit old. Add to that the fact that I lived near Cologne so it was A LOT of kölsch.

IPAs aren't even beers to them, they consider it an ale and therefore not subject to the "beer laws." That gives flexibility to play with the flavors more. I think each (classic beers and ales) all hold a different place in a drinking man's life.

Wheat beers are also a violation of the Reinheitsgebot (that isn't actually a law at all).

Back