• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2007 Orange Bowl

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
This post from the Pit brought back a ton of memories from our trip to the Orange Bowl.

At the 2006 ORANGE BOWL tailgate in Miami -- before RJKarl was a real person with a name and known business ventures on the internet -- DF2009 and I told everybody that his dad was RJKarl, and you should have seen posters freaking out. It was hilarious. Then DF2009, WFDeacon04, and I played football in the torrential rain while everybody cowered in their cars and then TSY was talking about my dad at the portajohns without knowing who I was or that I was standing behind him and then I did a profanity-laced interview with Dave Goren where I said I had been waiting "my whole life" for this kind of game and all the OLDS made fun of me because I was only like twenty at the time.

That tailgate has to be an all-time great moment in boards history.

I remember having a sinuplasty the week leading up to the Orange Bowl, so I agreed to head up the Boards Tailgate. It started my continued tradition of being a treasurer for Boards related activity via Paypal. I met up with a few other posters at the Walmart just down the street from the stadium, and proceeded to buy out pretty much their entire beer selection which IIRC we loaded most of in the back of 94Deac's truck. DHD had brought down a tiny camping grill and we proceeded to cook on it for the rest of the day. The place we originally planned to tailgate was not available, but we ended up landing an even better location near some sort of carnival type area with a large cement sidewalk and tables. Word slowly got out that we had changed locations and we had a massive turnout. The Deacon Club buses let out at our tailgate and we had quite a few people walk up and ask to pitch in $$ if they could tailgate with us instead of going to the DC tailgate.

We lucked out and had plenty of booze and food, the bottom fell out, and a ton of posters got to meet each other that day. Mags even brought name-tags for everyone. Even though we lost, it was still and amazing time. I've only got a few of my pics that I can still find online. Feel free to add your memories or other pics from that day.
1923259_508400913403_6750_n.jpg

The rain, oh the rain.

1923259_508400908413_6456_n.jpg

Not sure what they asked or what I said, but I do remember telling them to "cut" I need more beer.

1923259_508400853523_3416_n.jpg

Not sure who they were, but the one in the pink sure could chug a beer.

1923259_508400843543_2884_n.jpg

Lots of Boards Posters here, names intentionally left off to protect the innocent.

1923259_508400818593_1257_n.jpg

They brought the chopper over and left it for hours on end throughout the tailgate.

and proceeded to buy out pretty much their entire beer selection which IIRC we loaded most of in the back of 94Deac's truck.

Negatory. No way in shit did I drive to Miami in my own car. I was there, but the beer was in someone else's ride. Besides, let's gauge the likelihood of me showing up at the tailgate after having my truck loaded with beer.

Hmmm, it was a little Toyota or Nissan I think. I remember you and the Mrs coming up and helping out a lot that day. Crazy to think that was 8 years ago.

Hmmm, it was a little Toyota or Nissan I think. I remember you and the Mrs coming up and helping out a lot that day. Crazy to think that was 8 years ago.

Yeah, not me. When I did have a truck, I drove a goddamned American-made Ford. USA Pride!! Fuck the Ayatollah!! And Wake fans will talk about the Orange Bowl the way UGA fans talk about that 1980 Nat'l Championship.

That was the best New Years ever. Fo sho.

Sat 2 rows behind Skip and guys from the bball team.

The ACC Championship was a more exciting outcome (obviously) and I'm still ashamed at myself that I wore my yellow and black on Friday night and ended up w/ a blue shirt as my only clean shirt for the game. I looked like an idiot.

not sure how I remember this, but 94 drove a ford explorer sportrac. amirite?

Anyone else venture into the B of A pregame tent? That was pretty sweet. Particularly when it started raining.

I remember going to that Wal-Mart and looking at the big displays of Bud Light and Coors Light and we made our purchase based on the girls handing out Bud Light coozies if we bought that.

The ACC Championship was a more exciting outcome (obviously) and I'm still ashamed at myself that I wore my yellow and black on Friday night and ended up w/ a blue shirt as my only clean shirt for the game. I looked like an idiot.

That is embarrassing.

1) You only had 1 Wake shirt? 2) It's a game, wear a dirty shirt. 3) There were shirts for sale everywhere in Wake colors.

I'm still ashamed at myself that I wore my yellow and black on Friday night and ended up w/ a blue shirt as my only clean shirt for the game. I looked like an idiot.

Oh, so that was you.

I took the sure thing and went to the ACC Championship - couldn't swing a trip to both. Once we won in J'ville I wished I had waited for the Orange Bowl... Oh well.

Good times! I rode a bus down to Miami and back with fellow Deacon Clubbers! Die hard Wake fans!

Addendum: Should add that somehow I crashed Pres Hearn's private box and watched the entire game sitting next to he and his son, eating his catered food and drinking his beer! Awesome day!

Last edited:
That was a whole lot of fun. I was part of that caravan with the beer and food. We got there so early we actually heard/saw/experienced the test flyover. I think I might still have that name tag lying around somewhere...

The OB tailgate... I swung by briefly. I may have brought Spackler with me but can't remember. He may have wanted to avoid all you assholes. I didn't mingle much. Said hi to a couple folks and ended up talking to HurricanDeac for a while before I bailed.

The night before we all got so fucked up and our group of 3 ended up all separated somehow. One walked back from South Beach (At least I think we were there. Can't really remember. It would've been a long walk), Spackler passed out on the sidewalk and people were tossing spare change at him like he was a bum, and I managed to hail a cab and have him take me to about 4 different hotels before I recognized my own.

We stayed at the Days Inn South Beach which was like the de facto Wake student hotel. Well that, and adult Louisville fans. It was interesting walking up and down the beach and seeing the adult Wake fans going in and out of the really nice hotels, but Louisville all in that shitty Days Inn with us millennials.

I took the sure thing and went to the ACC Championship - couldn't swing a trip to both. Once we won in J'ville I wished I had waited for the Orange Bowl... Oh well.

Honestly I think that was the better call. First, we won. Second, the game time was early and the gathering at the Jax Landing afterwards was awesome. Only other crowd with that much good will I've ever been in was walking to the White House the night Obama was elected.

The Orange Bowl was great with the lead up to it, the first "WAKE.... FOREST" was epic in the stadium. And the game was close at least. But the loss was a bit of a letdown obviously. Overall the ACC Championship was the better time.

Then again you should have just gone to both. WTF.

Honestly I think that was the better call. First, we won. Second, the game time was early and the gathering at the Jax Landing afterwards was awesome. Only other crowd with that much good will I've ever been in was walking to the White House the night Obama was elected.

The Orange Bowl was great with the lead up to it, the first "WAKE.... FOREST" was epic in the stadium. And the game was close at least. But the loss was a bit of a letdown obviously. Overall the ACC Championship was the better time.

Then again you should have just gone to both. WTF.

I agree with this. The Landing was a central gathering spot on Friday and Saturday. Randomly ran into dozens of people I wouldn't have seen otherwise. There wasn't anything comparable in Miami.

The Landing the night before the game was great. Randomly ran into my uncle who was double fisting beers and he immediately handed one to me. No idea his family was going.

Back