• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2010 athletic department salaries

TBR

Reaction score
Wake's 2011 990 was finally posted on Foundation Center so now we have 2010 compensation information for top paid members of the athletic department:

Ron Wellman: $630k salary ($2.4m total, includes $1.8m in "other compensation", no idea what this actually was)
Jeff [Redacted]: $930k salary ($964k total, unsure on what Wake's fiscal year is, this could be for a partial year (April through December)
Jim Grobe: $2.2m salary ($2.2m total)
Dino Gaudio $248k in salary ($1.2m total, including $867k in "other comp", obviously must be buyout related)

Others of interest (to me anyway):
Nathan Hatch: $624k salary ($1.4m total, large amount of other comp probably includes the house and other perks)
Steven Reinemund: $394k salary ($440k total, left a ~$14m/year job for Wake)
Ajay Patel: $322k salary ($404k total, highest paid professor)

ETA: Fiscal year is through July 1 to June 30. Dino's comp only makes sense if these numbers are for the calendar year though. Thus, I think [Redacted]'s salary should be ~$1.2m, pretty much in line with what I thought when he was hired. This probably puts him at #6 in the conference, unless Gottfried and Larranaga got raises. He's also paid more than the other coaches hired in 2010 (Brownell and Donahue)

Last edited:
Ajay deserves every penny. The guy was the best professor I've ever had. Hands down best in the business school.

I guess Bz is 4 times the coach Dino is. He was a real hot property when we picked him up.

Ajay deserves every penny. The guy was the best professor I've ever had. Hands down best in the business school.

I don't think he teaches undergrad, at least not now. Did you have him for a Babcock class?

I don't think he teaches undergrad, at least not now. Did you have him for a Babcock class?

Yes. Advanced financial management. He does not teach undergrad.

I guess Bz is 4 times the coach Dino is. He was a real hot property when we picked him up.

Dino's previous regular compensation was just over $900k IIRC.

Still kind of unbelievable that we're paying [Redacted] that much considering how thoroughly mediocre everything about him is and always has been (and mediocre is generous).

I mean he makes $100k more than Jim Larranaga, how does that make sense?

Dino's previous regular compensation was just over $900k IIRC.

Still kind of unbelievable that we're paying [Redacted] that much considering how thoroughly mediocre everything about him is and always has been (and mediocre is generous).

I mean he makes $100k more than Jim Larranaga, how does that make sense?
Thanks. I saw the $248,000 and thought that was his salary.

can anyone tell those of us who havent been around for a while what patel and reinemund do/teach? what did reinemund do before coming to wake?

can anyone tell those of us who havent been around for a while what patel and reinemund do/teach? what did reinemund do before coming to wake?

Patel apparently teaches Finance in the MBA program.

Reinemund is the Dean of the Schools of Business and the former (and very successful) CEO of Pepsico.

I remember people saying it was no big deal that Dino was given a new contract shortly before he was fired because his buyout was so small.

Patel teaches advanced financial management in the MBA school. Reinemend... Just google him. Former CEO of Pepsi just to name the most recent.

I remember people saying it was no big deal that Dino was given a new contract shortly before he was fired because his buyout was so small.

Well, this doesn't really contradict that. For all we know that $800k could be the totality of his buyout, which would be quite small relatively speaking. We won't really know anything for another couple of years when we can tell what was paid to him in 2011 and 2012.

I can't believe Carmichael isn't tops on the pay list. He's probably the smartest person I've met, yet still able to relate to the rest of us.

Dino Gaudio $248k in salary ($1.2m total, including $867k in "other comp", obviously must be buyout related)
Would Wake owe Dino a similar amount for 2011? This article from October 2009 says his contract was extended through 2013-2014. Anyone know how long Wake has to pay him?
"I think he's deserving of it," Wellman said. "His first two years were, I think, symbolic of what he can do for our program and with our program. He's done a good job in all phases of the program. If you look at the academic performance of our team, the athletic performance of our team, the recruitment, then he's done a good job in all areas.
http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2009/oct/15/gaudios-contract-extended-ar-162106/

I can't believe Carmichael isn't tops on the pay list. He's probably the smartest person I've met, yet still able to relate to the rest of us.

Besides the three coaches, most of the people on the list are administrators. I am not going to Google all the people on the list, but I believe Patel is the only Reynolda campus professor on the list (in the past there have been some WFUBMC professors on it).

Would Wake owe Dino a similar amount for 2011? This article from October 2009 says his contract was extended through 2013-2014. Anyone know how long Wake has to pay him?

http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2009/oct/15/gaudios-contract-extended-ar-162106/

It just depends on the contract. Not all of the years have to be guaranteed (in fact, I'd bet that they aren't), and Wake doesn't have to reveal that since we're private (the contracts of public schools coaches can usually be found with a quick Google, although things get messy when a large share of comp is from the booster org).

It just depends on the contract. Not all of the years have to be guaranteed (in fact, I'd bet that they aren't), and Wake doesn't have to reveal that since we're private (the contracts of public schools coaches can usually be found with a quick Google, although things get messy when a large share of comp is from the booster org).

Thanks.

Back