• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2010 athletic department salaries

Reinemund also sits on the BOD for multiple companies including Wal Mart. He was a great hire and has really helped get us exposure and he calls up his friends and gets them to speak at Wake.

Yeah, here's his full bio: http://business.wfu.edu/apps/facprofiles.cfm?id=steve

Sits on the boards of the two largest companies in the world, among others. He has some ridiculous connections (speaking as a beneficiary of a couple of them...).

Reinemund also sits on the BOD for multiple companies including Wal Mart. He was a great hire and has really helped get us exposure and he calls up his friends and gets them to speak at Wake.

Like Dan Cathy, who is allegedly coming in November.

Do we really need to discuss this on another thread? No one's mind is going to be changed.

Wake's 2011 990 was finally posted on Foundation Center so now we have 2010 compensation information for top paid members of the athletic department:

Ron Wellman: $630k salary ($2.4m total, includes $1.8m in "other compensation", no idea what this actually was)

RW's worth every penny. I was so proud of our guys today at FSU. Their socks were perfect and our culture was just shining thru. Life is all about losing so we need to make sure our guys can do it with "culture". Gosh it's good to know that we can pay RW well enough to insure that our students learn that lesson at little ole Wake Forest. :wtftard:

Last edited:
It's ridiculous that folks in the AD are making that much money. Well an makes twice what the President makes! How is that justifiable? Further proof to me that cheating in a school's AD should cost the Atheltic Director and coach of the offending sport $$$.

It's ridiculous that folks in the AD are making that much money. Well an makes twice what the President makes! How is that justifiable? Further proof to me that cheating in a school's AD should cost the Atheltic Director and coach of the offending sport $$$.

It's what the market will pay, also they bring in more money than they earn, otherwise salaries would decrease.

Why do people care what Grobe, etc make? Not really any of their business, and they obviously earn it or they wouldn't be making the money they do.

It's what the market will pay, also they bring in more money than they earn, otherwise salaries would decrease.

Why do people care what Grobe, etc make? Not really any of their business, and they obviously earn it or they wouldn't be making the money they do.

I plan to frame this. Thus, the larger sized font.

It really only makes sense to discuss market salaries in the context of an aggregate group. If you look at his salary's rank within the aggregate, [Redacted] is probably pretty much right in the middle of all power conference head basketball coaches. Does that seem like a market salary to you? If the [Redacted]'s employment was terminated by either side tomorrow, do you think someone would offer him a $1.2m salary? Pretty plainly no (in fact, he'd probably be lucky to get half that) so how can you possibly say that it is a market salary?

Agreed. I don't think Bz or Grobe would get their Wake salaries on the open market, probably not even 75% of that. Wellman, maybe.

Agreed. I don't think Bz or Grobe would get their Wake salaries on the open market, probably not even 75% of that. Wellman, maybe.

I think Grobe would get that salary on the open market. I would also argue that Grobe probably is the best coach Wake could get in that he wins without compromising values. I don't really worry about the football team embarrassing the university.

I might argue that Grobe is worth more to us than to pretty much any other program because of his classiness and of how well his program fits a school with our disadvantages. I don't know that he gets $2.2m somewhere else, but I also think that's the problem with thinking of these as market salaries.

Agree Wellman would probably get his. Like I said, no way would [Redacted] get $1.2m anywhere else (and he wouldn't have gotten it anywhere but Wake in 2010 either).

I think Grobe would get that salary on the open market. I would also argue that Grobe probably is the best coach Wake could get in that he wins without compromising values. I don't really worry about the football team embarrassing the university.

Did you just mindlessly regurgitate the nonsensical "win without compromising values" bullshit? Are you trolling here or what?

Ajay deserves every penny. The guy was the best professor I've ever had. Hands down best in the business school.

He is a great finance guy. His predecessor, Moyer, was tops on my list, though.

Back