• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2011 Atlanta Braves Thread: Go Braves!!!

its just that the phils have been playing such great ball that i just thought maybe they will cool off.

Now that we are completely out of the division race Heyward needs a long run of games to get going. We don't get past the Brew Crew without him playing reasonably well.

It has become very apparent that without a healthy JJ and Hanson, we are fucking cooked for the playoffs. Hudson and Lowe as our 1-2 isn't going to get us to 1st base with Sallie Rottencrotch.

Oh, and I agree its time to pull the plug on Mexican George Costanza. He's fucking done too.

FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

All I'm asking is when is J-Hey going to step it up or is he the black Frenchy?

Go, I know you watch enough Braves games to see the difference between Francoeur and Heyward.

Dang. Phils win. Where was Craig in the 9th?

All managers are retarded with their use of the "closer." Bullpen usage is entirely dictated by a stat. I don't think you can say that about any other facet of the game. Teams should use their best relief pitcher(s) in the most high leverage situations of the game, which often isn't the 9th inning. A team that did this could easily pick up a few wins a season, IMO.

Every time I see him up he grounds out to 2nd base or K's.

His K rate is actually a tad lower than last year (19.4% in 2011 vs. 20.5% in 2010). He's still walking at a good rate (10.7%, good for 3rd on the team behind Chipper and McCann among the regulars), though down from last year. I agree, it does seem like he's grounding out to 2nd base every other AB.

Most stuff I read seems to attribute his struggles this year to a glitch with his swing (perhaps due to the shoulder injury) and bad luck (.250 BABIP when he has a career BABIP of .301).

I honestly believe he's going to come back next year and dominate. Reminds me a little of Justin Upton, who had a nice rookie year, then took a step back his 2nd year, before becoming the player he is today. Heyward is one of the most naturally talented players in baseball and we've seen what he can do. Last year was no fluke. Compare to Francoeur, who never had plate discipline all through the minors and was always bound to regress despite his fast start. We all knew it, we just hoped he could somehow be a Vladimir Guerrero clone and get by without plate discipline.

Anyway, Heyward has struggled this year, there's no doubt about that and I understand being down on him. But, I sense some venom and pessimism in your comments that, IMO, aren't warranted.

In other words, buck up, little camper.

curtisarmstrong.jpg

All managers are retarded with their use of the "closer." Bullpen usage is entirely dictated by a stat. I don't think you can say that about any other facet of the game. Teams should use their best relief pitcher(s) in the most high leverage situations of the game, which often isn't the 9th inning. A team that did this could easily pick up a few wins a season, IMO.

I just don't think you throw a guy in a tied game, bottom 9, versus one of the best line ups, who has only pitched one inning since returning.

Back