• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 Atlanta Braves Thread

this call is not even close to don denkinger card/royals world series in 1985. cardinals fans have no sympathy

This isn't even right, which makes it worse. Peak of flight is even a late call. Immediate is right.

The actual rule says the call should be made immediately after it is clear it will be an infield fly. An umpires handbook states it should be called at the peak of flight at the latest. Ump in last nights game called it way too late and apparently didn't verbalize it loud enough for players to hear or I'm sure the Cardinals would have said so. Either way, the Braves obviously committed too many errors but the Cardinals had a mental error when they failed to field the ball in question. The results of that error just didn't hurt them because of the bad call.

lets say ball drops, bases loaded mccann up, motte comes in

career mccann is 0-3 with intentional walk, 2 Ks. he walks, 6-4. now bourne is up, he strikes out. 2 outs, prado comes up. never faced motte, im betting on an out there inning over

It doesn't take any nerve to bitch about the call because we will never know what the final outcome would have been-bases loaded with one out its not inconceivable the braves could have tied it...i've been watching baseball for thirty years and never seen that called on a fly ball that deep in the outfield and if you read the rule no way was that call made properly...anyone that watches baseball knows that a fielding error (and that's what that was-the ss admitted last night he couldn't hear the umpire and you can see from the replay he was totally focused on the ball and not looking at the umpire) changes the momentum especially in a playoff game...

What sucks is that just when I feel like playoff baseball has arrived and I'm fired up again after a long season of watching/listening to games virtually every night (which frankly really started to drag by August), it's over and my team is out. I'm sure this 1-game wildcard makes TV execs hard, but it doesn't do much for fans who have been following their team all year, looking forward to postseason baseball.

Also, I urge my fellow Braves fans to ignore the usual trolls.

Of the Kent Hrbek Ron Gant call in 1991 where he lifted him off first base and tagged him out.

What sucks is that just when I feel like playoff baseball has arrived and I'm fired up again after a long season of watching/listening to games virtually every night (which frankly really started to drag by August), it's over and my team is out. I'm sure this 1-game wildcard makes TV execs hard, but it doesn't do much for fans who have been following their team all year, looking forward to postseason baseball.

Also, I urge my fellow Braves fans to ignore the usual trolls.

I think people get more emotional about Baseball for this very reason. You follow a team for 162 games, then there is going to be some attachment. They win, you're a little happier. They lose, you're a little down. They lose in a stupid 1 game playoff topped off by an idiotic call that killed all momentum... you have to get drunk and not sweat it the next day.

this call is not even close to don denkinger card/royals world series in 1985. cardinals fans have no sympathy

Cardinals fans should just shut the fuck up when you cheer for the franchise with the biggest lucky rabbits foot in the history of the game rammed up your ass for 100+ years. God what a deplorable franchise in a deplorable city.

I think we should get Zack Grienke. He would love to be here. Also, here is his wife:

144529702pcondu_ph.jpg

If the Braves had any money at all, I'll bet they'd go after Greinke due to the mutual interest. As it stands, I have to think it's unlikely. The payroll situation continues to be tough for this franchise. They are obviously right there in the hunt. Another piece could push them over the edge, but ownership is not going to meaningfully increase payroll. The effects of the crippling, 25-year TV deal are only going to get worse.

This offseason, I'd like to see them be able to re-sign Bourn (although I think he'll be out of their price range), extend Prado, lock up Heyward, and think about sensible deals for some of the younger guys (Kimbrel, Medlen, Beachy, and Freeman) that will help when they become arb eligible. They will pick up McCann's option and hope for a bounce-back year. They will non-tender Jurrjens. No one will trade for Dan Uggla, but I'd explore that. I have no idea what they will do with Hanson. They'll be looking for either a 3B or LF (possibly 2 OFs if Bourn leaves) and there is no one in the system ready to step up, so I'm sure they'll be exploring trade options.

i think prado will switch to 3B.

I'm assuming that Bourn walks, which opens up a little more $.

I still can't believe the safety squeeze with runners on the corners and Medlen on deck.

It's nice to have the flexibility with re: Prado, as it will give Wren more options. I have absolutely no idea who might be available for trades. I doubt they're ready to turn the everyday 3B job over to Juan Francisco.

I think Uggla is movable if the Braves fork over enough cash.

I'd rather throw dough at 3B/LF/CF than a SP.

It's baseball and we will never know . It is just as likely the next batter hits into an inning ending double play. Or hits a grand slam? Kind of like the late time called when the batter struck out for the Braves, but the next pitch hits a two run homer. Get over it Brave fans. You are the Buffalo Bills of baseball with 4 straight playoff losses.

That is baseball and as Cardinal fan, I ain't giving it back since the Denkinger call in 1985, we are owed!!!

It doesn't take any nerve to bitch about the call because we will never know what the final outcome would have been-bases loaded with one out its not inconceivable the braves could have tied it...i've been watching baseball for thirty years and never seen that called on a fly ball that deep in the outfield and if you read the rule no way was that call made properly...anyone that watches baseball knows that a fielding error (and that's what that was-the ss admitted last night he couldn't hear the umpire and you can see from the replay he was totally focused on the ball and not looking at the umpire) changes the momentum especially in a playoff game...

Reff, i will strongly consider punching you in the face next time I am at a gamecock game. We tailgate right across from the football offices where the new scoreboard is. Come say hello.

It's baseball and we will never know . It is just as likely the next batter hits into an inning ending double play. Or hits a grand slam? Kind of like the late time called when the batter struck out for the Braves, but the next pitch hits a two run homer. Get over it Brave fans. You are the Buffalo Bills of baseball with 4 straight playoff losses.

That is baseball and as Cardinal fan, I ain't giving it back since the Denkinger call in 1985, we are owed!!!

god damn, you are such an old bastard.

I'd rather throw dough at 3B/LF/CF than a SP.

No doubt. Signing Greinke would strictly be a move looking at 2014-beyond, because they don't need another SP next year. Aside from Bourn though, I really don't know who they'd spend money on, even if they had it. Cody Ross? Victorino? Josh Hamilton (price tag aside, he would be a good replacement for Chipper as a white guy who likes to hunt)? Really, really wish Bourn weren't represented by Boras. Those guys always seem to get 20% more than you'd expect.

Back