• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 Dem Party Platform Draft for Gay Marriage and Repeal of Defense of Marriage Act

Pumped this is part of the platform. Energizes me, and makes me more likely to try to talk to my friends about a Presidency I've had a ton of mixed feelings about. I'm glad Obama has come down on this firmly. What I think ncsportsnut is ignoring in his prognostications about Obama losing black voters is that maybe, just maybe, it gets some african-americans to challenge or even change their views. Right or wrong, I know a lot of my black friends have become interested in politics because of Obama, with a feeling that perhaps for the first time in their lives, they had gained a level of political representation. So with all this being said, whether or not it was the right political move for the party, I'm very pleased with this move.

Pumped this is part of the platform. Energizes me, and makes me more likely to try to talk to my friends about a Presidency I've had a ton of mixed feelings about. I'm glad Obama has come down on this firmly. What I think ncsportsnut is ignoring in his prognostications about Obama losing black voters is that maybe, just maybe, it gets some african-americans to challenge or even change their views. Right or wrong, I know a lot of my black friends have become interested in politics because of Obama, with a feeling that perhaps for the first time in their lives, they had gained a level of political representation. So with all this being said, whether or not it was the right political move for the party, I'm very pleased with this move.

This.

You may be right on target, and guess we will have to wait and find out. I admire anyone who stands up for their principles regardless of whether it is popular or not. If the African-Americans do turnout at the same record level as 2008, it's hard to imagine Romney winning. I just don't think they will have the same enthusiasm.

How has life for black Americans improved over the last three and one half years ?

Not bad. We didn't get the nominee we wanted but Romney will have to listen to us after he is elected.

Ahahah... No, he won't. If something odd happened and Romney were elected, he would govern as a moderate.

Ahahah... No, he won't. If something odd happened and Romney were elected, he would govern as a moderate.

He might try but we would primary lots of moderates like we did two years ago.

Romney and Ryan allegedly agree. We can only say allegedly, because R&R lie all the time. Of course Romney would change his position if he thinks it will help him.

I don't really mean to derail this thread and can take this elsewhere, but social conservatism is the absolute most ridiculous set of views in the mainstream political arena. There are at least debates to be had about economics and the financial viability of various plans/schemes, but for 95% of social issues the conservative viewpoint embraced by the majority of the Republican Party and the Tea Party is just abhorrent.

I don't really mean to derail this thread and can take this elsewhere, but social conservatism is the absolute most ridiculous set of views in the mainstream political arena. There are at least debates to be had about economics and the financial viability of various plans/schemes, but for 95% of social issues the conservative viewpoint embraced by the majority of the Republican Party and the Tea Party is just abhorrent.

And, it's a relatively new fixture of the party, as well.

I think it's hilarious to see some of the arguments that would be considered extreme/fringe as late as the Clinton administration. There are quite a few sheep amongst the otherwise fiscally well-verse conservatives out there.

It's actually lunacy. Most socially conservative platforms involve more government interference and regulation. Rove's genius, if anything, has been to package it like it's not. It's ass-backward and all of the drones lap it right up in the name of the party.

Back