• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013-2014 basketball season predictions.. with or without buzz

Without knowing what our ACC schedule will look like, I think 16-17 wins with [Redacted]. I don't think we will be much better than we were at the end of the year, but I don't think we will be so bad in OOC play. I think 19-20 wins is possible with this roster.

As much as Bz is just a massive loser, he was 100% right when, in his post-game comments yesterday, he said that he has laid the foundation for a really bright future. The core group of kids here right now, especially the freshmen (with all due respect to Travis), have nowhere to go but up. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Daniel Green can add next year, hope that Codi can step up into CJ's role (needs to develop a better catch and shoot, or else drive for himself A LOT) and Miles can be a serviceable backup to Madison. Tree can be a fantastic Strickland/LD type hybrid player that flashes a ton of athleticism, and great defense, and always add a spark of energy. Cav needs to just fully get out of the post, I think. He just doesn't have what it takes to bang with big guys, his defensive positioning and footwork are very raw, and he really can't seem to score underneath the basket (esp. dunking the ball. What is it with big white Wake big men and not dunking the basketball?), and somehow lost confidence in his jumper. Seems to me like he could score from the wing and occasionally spot up from 3, too. Chase, I don't really know what to expect from him. He needs serious work on his handles, decision making, passing, and defense. He can't just be the easiest guy to scout in the conference, he has to develop another aspect to his game, because he isn't Redick. I doubt we'll ever ask him to create for himself. This leaves Bill and Devin, our two beasts inside. Bill is an enigma to me. He showed flashes of just monster athleticism and talent, but seemed a bit passive sometimes, and needs to work on his passing and post moves. When he gets a lane to the basket, watch the fuck out, because he throws down hard. He shouldn't ever dribble really. Just catch and dunk or lay it in. Devin, to me, could be an All-American if he sticks around all 4 years. He can literally do anything on the court. He has shown handles, quickness, aggressiveness, scoring, post moves, defensive positioning, hands, athleticism, passion, improvement in both spot up and foul shooting, and the kind of intensity a big man in the ACC needs. He is the most polished freshman big man we've had since Duncan. The biggest thing I have seen he could work on is his poise, especially in transition or on outlook passes.

If we get a serious coach in here who gets all of this together, we can be a 20 win team next year, and a serious contender with Shelton in '15, assuming we don't lose any key players.

My fear is that we'll be even worse down the stretch and in close games than we we were this year. Our FT shooting is going to severely suffer without CJ, and I don't know if we have a clutch player for late in games. Travis seems to disappear in the last few minutes of close games and CMM is not assertive enough yet.

The biggest if is whether we play team defense. Obviously we do not play it now. With a coach who teaches and demands it? Maybe 16-18 wins.

Not to be noncommittal, but it all depends on who the coach is. The coach and system makes all the difference. Ask Antwan Scott. Or Ari Stewart.

Ari's problems were with Ari.

With Bz: Same result. MAYBE we sniff the NIT.

Without: entirely depends on who we hire, but I think NCAA bubble at a minimum (similar to UVA this year).

all the comments about McKie--he will have to show up every game--which it didn't do last night when they needed a good game from him.

Our senior leader, Travis McKie, on next season: “We’re going to take the next step,” he said. “We won six ACC games this year, next year we’ll try to push it to seven or eight or nine or ten, and get some win in the tournament. Just progress, man. Just keep moving forward.”

Reading this quote earlier today was the most depressing part of the last 3 years following Wake basketball for me personally.

Ari's problems were with Ari.

I was using him as an example of how a player can flourish on court under one coach and flounder under another. Scott was a better example - Stewart works but yes he had extenuating, between the ears circumstances.

Travis would be a much different player next year if Buzz was not his coach. He has all the ability, but his heart and enthusiasm have been destroyed.

Personally, I think our freshman are mostly role players. DT and maybe CMM excluded.

You have to look at the league in evaluating our potential next year. Carolina, Duke, UVa, and State will all clearly be above us. BC returns the whole team. Tech loses only Udofia. I think our max potential would be to move to 8th or 9th in a 15 team league. Maybe an NIT birth, but not ready for NCAA. Not sure a different coach could impact that significantly in year 1. Buzz is not nearly as bad an x and o guy as some on here believe, but he does a poor job in certain key areas (transition D and rebounding especially). His offensive stuff is good enough if he has enough talent on the floor. So a great replacement might win 2 or 3 more games next year than Buzz, but that alone won't get us to the NCAA's.

Back