• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 NASCAR Thread - Fights, Stretchers, Wreckers, and Checkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was impressed with the stat Fox flashed during BK's post-race interview. He's been finished in the top ten 19 out of the last 22 races. That is phenomenal.

Ticket Related- I just posted a couple Bristol Tickets for the Food City 500 on stubhub. They are in the Wallace Tower and the last row (you enter from the top), dead middle of turns 1 and 2 so they are very convenient once you get your butt up there. Anyway, I have 4 tickets and just using 2 this time so if you want to head up and sit next to a couple deacons then let me know. $75 total for the 2 is what I am looking for, PM if interested.

Nascar Related but not race related. The federal government cut funding this week for the Concord NC airport tower. This means it will close affecting all of the area race teams. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Losing the control tower at Concord Regional Airport could cause big problems for the large number of NASCAR teams who have headquarters in the region. Many of those companies use the Concord airport.

In a news release issued Wednesday, Concord officials said the airport could lose all 737 charter flights each year -- most of which involve NASCAR teams.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/03/06/3897286/concord-loses-funding-for-airport.html

I've got a question for my NASCAR brethren (and sisters, too). I am strongly considering buying a scanner so that I can dial in to the various team frequencies during the race, and also to be able to listen to MRN radio, Dave Moody, etc. call the race.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a good make/model/brand/price, etc. and on the flip side, ones to stay away from?

Thanks!

How many times a year would you use it? We had some back in the 90s and used them so infrequently, IMO they werent worth it. We had to manually program the frequencies for each race since they would occasionally change frequencies to keep other teams from hearing their communications, which was a pretty big pain. You can rent them so cheap at the tracks nowadays via Racing Electronics and they've already got everything programmed in.

How many times a year would you use it? We had some back in the 90s and used them so infrequently, IMO they werent worth it. We had to manually program the frequencies for each race since they would occasionally change frequencies to keep other teams from hearing their communications, which was a pretty big pain. You can rent them so cheap at the tracks nowadays via Racing Electronics and they've already got everything programmed in.

I agree. Rent them at the track. The FanScan (or whatever they call it) has scanners frequencies programmed in, radio broadcast and possibly even video footage (can't remember). It is really easy to use.

Fellas, THANKS! This is the kind of friendly, knowledgeable advice that makes this board so awesome.

I plan to attend maybe 5 or 6 races this year and probably around same amount on average in the future (Martinsville x 2 (I love that place) and probably 1 each of the other tracks that are within driving distance of W-S (Bristol, Charlotte, Darlington, Richmond)).

What is the typical rental fee for the FanScan, and how do you go about reserving one (or otherwise making sure you get one before they are all gone)?

Wolf1297 can tell you for sure. He rented one last year for the Night Race. If I remember correctly, they were very reasonable.

The old school scanners where you programmed in frequencies were awful. I had one from Radio Shack and it drove me mad. I bought one a few years ago from Racing Electronics and it is real easy to use and does frequency updates over the air when you are at the track. I also have the four way splitter box with microphoned headphones (not sure if there is a better name for those) so we can talk during the race, not sure if you can rent those or not but you probably can.

LC:

Where/how did you buy your scanner from Racing Electronics? Did you order it straight from them via the web/catalog, etc. How much did it cost?

The new NASCAR Mobile '13 application for your phone also has a scanner and ability to listen to the radio broadcast built in. Its available for small fee and free to Sprint customers.

The new NASCAR Mobile '13 application for your phone also has a scanner and ability to listen to the radio broadcast built in. Its available for small fee and free to Sprint customers.

Didn't think about this at the track. I have the app and it is pretty good (when NASCAR can get it to work). Only problem is that is drains your battery very fast. You probably wouldn't make it through the race. For as many races as you plan on going to, I would buy the FanVision device at the track. Not sure what it costs to buy, but it used to be that you would break even after about 4 or 5 races.

I've used the app on my Sprint phone. I've never used another scanner so I'm not sure if this is usual, but the phone app appears to be about a minute behind what is actually happening on the track.

I said Racing Electronics but that was wrong, mine is from Track Scan. Here is a link to the model I have:

http://www.track-scan.com/2/Scanners/Track-Scan-Pocket-Edge®-II.V-w/FREE-Fanny-Pack.html

The cost is now $179 which seems about what I paid. It is small and easy to fit in a pocket or side of the cooler.

StonevilleIceTea has this same scanner. We've used it at Daytona the past several years with no issues. They'll update the frequencies at their merchandise trailer at the track free of charge I'm pretty sure.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice and suggestions from everyone. I'll look into the the scanner that LC suggests and Wilmington vouches for. (dangling prepositions be damned)

I think that I will be going to enough races to justify the cost buying a scanner versus renting one.

Will Denny end up getting suspended? I appreciate his resolve, because he was just speaking his opinion, but Premier France does not approve of unsavory things being said about his sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back