• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 NASCAR Thread - Fights, Stretchers, Wreckers, and Checkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
33 people injured is a hell of a lot different than one fan leaning over railing.

I also hate the argument that car accidents are both deadly and relatively likely, and yet we allow driving, therefore we should allow X activity that is deadly and relatively less likely. As with all activity, we have to be weighing societal gains and losses. I'm not sure what the hell is gained by letting heavy machinery fly around a track at high speeds with thousands of human beings right up against the action.

Just kind of shocked that people are defending NASCAR here, or at least not asking what could be done differently. As with all massive corporations, we should probably ask if they're doing enough for our safety.

Agreed, but the societal losses are minimal IMO with auto racing. Racing has been relatively safe over the past decade. I suspect you can find no other organization that has made the safety advancements that NASCAR has made in the past decade. That's a sport that had participant after participant die in the late 90s and then went and completely redesigned the cars, race track walls, and head restraint gear and almost eliminated serious injuries all-together.

If you want to pick on a sport that has a ton of societal losses, there can be no better example than football. Kids/grown men die on the football field, suffer years of debilitating injuries, and have serious mental health issues. That ignores the crime typically associated with handing kids a bunch of money that they are poorly equipped to handle.

NASCAR has to figure out a way to keep the tires connected to the car during a catastrophic crash. Indy Cars went through this a few years ago and they now have the wheels tethered to the car body.

I am always scared for the fans that sit down in the corners at Bowman Gray stadium, as I've seen cars ride up on the fence there.
Kyle Petty discussed the tethering yesterday afternoon. The wheels were tethered on Larson's car, but the problem was the entire front frame of the car got ripped off with the tires, tethers and all.

One great think about NASCAR is that they'll take the car back to the R&D shop to dissect it and come out with more improvements.

I agree wholeheartedly about Bowman Gray. Where the stands just back towards the track near turn three is a tragedy waiting to happen.

I feel really bad for the people injured and affected by this happening. A lot of people save up their money and make this their vacation for the year and don't have too much extraneous money. Not that it'd be better if the crash happened with bankers or something but it's just sad that these people's favorite activities were ruined by this. Hope they all recover.

I will guarantee you that NASCAR and Daytona will have something in place that minimizes the effect of a crash such as this. It was weird though because those cars are designed to not go airborne except in crazy circumstances.

Agreed, but the societal losses are minimal IMO with auto racing. Racing has been relatively safe over the past decade. I suspect you can find no other organization that has made the safety advancements that NASCAR has made in the past decade. That's a sport that had participant after participant die in the late 90s and then went and completely redesigned the cars, race track walls, and head restraint gear and almost eliminated serious injuries all-together.

If you want to pick on a sport that has a ton of societal losses, there can be no better example than football. Kids/grown men die on the football field, suffer years of debilitating injuries, and have serious mental health issues. That ignores the crime typically associated with handing kids a bunch of money that they are poorly equipped to handle.

This is pretty true.

Seems like they could have gotten a bigger name to sing the National Antham for NASCAR's Super Bowl. A back up singer for the Zac Brown Band? The the real person back out at the last minute?

Lots of guys knocked out there - Stewart got super unlucky. Can't wait to hear him cry about it...

Kasey looks like he should be able to get his fixed. Did Kyle bump him or did the pocket of air get him loose? Kyle looked all up in his rear on the initial replay.

It came across sexist, when I'm sure that's not how he meant it. We got a nice chuckle out of it.

Pretty much a snoozefest so far. The cars are so equal, nobody is really passing.

They interviewed Franco this morning on Speed channel and he seemed like he was high as fuck. Everyone here laughed, even the ladies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back