• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 Creighton/2005 Wake Forest Offensive Efficiency

WakeHornet

Reaction score
Creighton leads the country in three-point percentage (43.7) as well as overall offensive efficiency. According to Ken Pomeroy's metrics, Creighton's adjusted offensive efficiency is 128.2. This number means that after adjusting for various factors such as quality of opponents (far more necessary in college than the NBA), Creighton's offense scores about 128 points per 100 offensive possessions. That is a staggering number, and one that no team has come close to reaching in the past decade.

The last team that was this efficient on offense was the 2005 Wake Forest team, which had an adjusted offensive rating of 124—and Chris Paul.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/how-creighton-created-the-craziest-most-deadly-offense-1505676416/@Tom_Ley

So what is the point? That offensive efficiency has no bearing on actual wins and losses? That KenPom can predict that Creighton will get Ganseyed? That Creighton will one day hire [Redacted]?

Let's live in the past since our future is none to bright.

So what is the point? That offensive efficiency has no bearing on actual wins and losses? That KenPom can predict that Creighton will get Ganseyed? That Creighton will one day hire [Redacted]?

To remind us that we were once good.

How is that possible? I've been told Prosser was a terrible coach. No way he could have the most efficient offense in college basketball in over a decade.

I laughed today and thought about the boobs from True Detectives.. Now this has made me cry. My day is complete.

Creighton jumped from #13 to #2 in Kenpom in one night.

If their offense were boobs it'd be Alexandra Daddario's

Last edited:
Damn this guy stole my tweet from this morning.

Wake led the nation in offense in both 2004 and 2005.

The point is it's the best offense in the NCAA since at least 2003.

Apparently not if the determination of who had the best offense between 2003 and 2013 using the same formula yielded a team that got bounced in the third round by West Virginia. Seems like you need a new stat to better determine who has the best offense. #kenpomout

Apparently not if the determination of who had the best offense between 2003 and 2013 using the same formula yielded a team that got bounced in the third round by West Virginia. Seems like you need a new stat to better determine who has the best offense. #kenpomout

Was offense the problem in that game?

What are you talking about? We scored 105 points on 90 possessions in that game. The problem was we had the 134th ranked defense that year and gave up 111 points.

You can argue with the KenPom rankings all you want but it's pretty difficult to argue with a metric that just takes points per possession and adjusts it for strength of schedule. It's very well operationalized at this point.

What stat would you use instead to determine who had the best offense? You do realize that offense is only half the game right? You could theoretically have the best offense in the country, have the worst defense, and lose every single game. That still wouldn't take away from the fact that you had the best offense in the country, it would just mean your team wasn't very good.

How is that possible? I've been told Prosser was a terrible coach. No way he could have the most efficient offense in college basketball in over a decade.

I get the sarcasm, but having the best point guard in ACC history didn't hurt either.

I get the sarcasm, but having the best point guard in ACC history didn't hurt either.

I hadn't really thought about that but I think Paul is up there with Jay Williams as the best in the last 30 years.

I hadn't really thought about that but I think Paul is up there with Jay Williams as the best in the last 30 years.

both of those two guys had talent, instinct and work ethic. one did not have elite common sense.

Ja(son)y Williams and Ron Wellman. Always wear a helmet.

What are you talking about? We scored 105 points on 90 possessions in that game. The problem was we had the 134th ranked defense that year and gave up 111 points.

You can argue with the KenPom rankings all you want but it's pretty difficult to argue with a metric that just takes points per possession and adjusts it for strength of schedule. It's very well operationalized at this point.

What stat would you use instead to determine who had the best offense? You do realize that offense is only half the game right? You could theoretically have the best offense in the country, have the worst defense, and lose every single game. That still wouldn't take away from the fact that you had the best offense in the country, it would just mean your team wasn't very good.

I wouldn't use a manufactured stat, I would use my eyes and who won. Who gives a shit how many points we score per possession if we miss the ones that count? How did the best offense in the nation of the last 10 years score 65 points in an ACC tournament loss to the fucking Wolfpack? How did the best offense in the nation of the last 10 years go ice cold against Illinois in a showcase national game? How did the best offense in the nation of the last 10 years get outgunned by Mike fucking Gansey? It's not like WVU was playing much defense in that game either, we simply got out-scored.

Whose offense would you take to win a game - that team or the Florida teams where Humphrey and Brewer made every big shot imaginable? Howabout the UConn team with Kemba Walker's giant balls?

Did that team score a lot of points - sure. Was it fun to watch on offense - absolutely. Was it the best offense in the nation in the past 10 years - no fucking way, and the results bore it out. That offense repeatedly choked in the spotlight, which is about as far from what the best offense should do as you can get.

Back