• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 FB Recruiting Thread: Signing Day is this Wednesday!

He's starting. He hasn't stepped on the field yet. Way too early to claim he doesn't need development.

He started 11 out of 12 games last year, his junior year, at guard playing next to a guy who started 27 games over his final three seasons at center. It seems the staff found him useful at guard and I would hardly call starting all but one game in your junior year "unproductive" or an abject failure as to seem apt to label him.

And in terms of the recruiting rankings, which mean nothing once a kid puts on pads on campus, Helms is nearly the same. It seems you should be singing his praises because this staff that is so inept that they cannot develop talent finally has one that they don't have to develop. He came ready and cannot be wasted in a similar manner.

Helms steps right into the starting spot. Barnes was equally herald but has yet to start at center. Was he over rated, under developed, physically flawed, or doesn't have the "it" factor that Helms seems to have. This is why I won't jump ugly on the staff for not recruiting like Vandy. You can tell by looking the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog won't come forth until tested.

He's starting. He hasn't stepped on the field yet. Way too early to claim he doesn't need development.
I recognize that, but thank you for taking the opportunity to point that out to me.

Helms steps right into the starting spot. Barnes was equally herald but has yet to start at center. Was he over rated, under developed, physically flawed, or doesn't have the "it" factor that Helms seems to have. This is why I won't jump ugly on the staff for not recruiting like Vandy. You can tell by looking the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog won't come forth until tested.
You just said that a player stood around with his dick in his hands while our coaching staff did the same for 4 years and even "gave up" on him. All of this because the kid hasn't started at the position he was projected to play coming out of high school. That's sort of "jumping ugly" as you say.

Barnes started nearly every game last year and has another year to continue to contribute. Meanwhile, we also have a kid who might have the potential to be a 4 year starter at a crucial position. Yet you've turned that into a negative.

You just said that a player stood around with his dick in his hands while our coaching staff did the same for 4 years and even "gave up" on him. All of this because the kid hasn't started at the position he was projected to play coming out of high school. That's sort of "jumping ugly" as you say.

Barnes started nearly every game last year and has another year to continue to contribute. Meanwhile, we also have a kid who might have the potential to be a 4 year starter at a crucial position. Yet you've turned that into a negative.

The jumping ugly is for those who cry everytime a kid committs to Vandy. How about the river that was cried for Proehl going to unc. We have the #7 center in the country, who played at center all spring and then get push aside, literally, for a true freshman. Whitlock and Redding were the lowest rated players in their class in '09 and now makeup 2/3 of our D-Line. Souza was the highest of that class and they turned him into an OL. If we secure a commitment late from an unknown kid. Who can say he won't be a leader of the team some day. We can't gaurantee a top HS player won't be a dud. Will Dunn,T-J,or Lamot contribute more than the 4* Lance Virgile. Let find out

According to Scout Barnes was the 16th ranked C. Even more humorous is Jimmy Newman was the 9th ranked kicker. That's a real kick in the balls.

Reactions: BDL
Helms and Barnes were not ever in the same league as HS recruits.

On a more germaine note: If Whit Barnes not starring at Center despite a high ESPN (#6 center) rating is an indictment of the developmental ability of the staff, then is Campanaro starring at WR despite a low ESPN (#88 athlete) rating an endorsement of the developmental ability of the staff?

These recruiting rating services aren't perfect. They get the heights and weights wrong. Are influenced by coaches and parents and the HS's reputation. The kid works hard for his scholarship and after signing day can put it on cruise control. Some get themselves in trouble with the NCAA clearing house because they don't follow through the spring of their senior year. When they get on campus, they settle into a routine, in both the classroom,practice field, weight room, keg parties, etc. Some will have or develope better habits than others, (see Dr Lou frazier vs a drop-out). A player can't live off his press clippings (as J Harris did '11). He has to prove himself everyday, every time he has too. I go back to Skinner. A third string nobody who took us to the Orange Bowl. If Hodges was better prepared, we might have beat Nebraska. Some players get 4 years of experience,others get 1 year of experience 4 times.

Camp is probably the most well-regarded recruit we've had post OB. He played in the Under Armour All-American game.

These recruiting rating services aren't perfect. They get the heights and weights wrong. Are influenced by coaches and parents and the HS's reputation. The kid works hard for his scholarship and after signing day can put it on cruise control. Some get themselves in trouble with the NCAA clearing house because they don't follow through the spring of their senior year. When they get on campus, they settle into a routine, in both the classroom,practice field, weight room, keg parties, etc. Some will have or develope better habits than others, (see Dr Lou frazier vs a drop-out). A player can't live off his press clippings (as J Harris did '11). He has to prove himself everyday, every time he has too. I go back to Skinner. A third string nobody who took us to the Orange Bowl. If Hodges was better prepared, we might have beat Nebraska. Some players get 4 years of experience,others get 1 year of experience 4 times.

I agree with everything you said here. Why,then, did you use the Whit Barnes - Corey Helms situation to say "The biggest problem I have with the program is development"? You confuse me.

The staff pays absolutely no attention at all to recruit stars or ratings. They see their own players and judge them accordingly.

I agree with everything you said here. Why,then, did you use the Whit Barnes - Corey Helms situation to say "The biggest problem I have with the program is development"? You confuse me.

Because a guy who has been through all those practices for 4 years should have enough experience, guile, tricks of the trade, to hold off a equally rated 18 yr old who just got off the bus. What has he done or not done, that made Himey jump on the Helms bandwagon and kick Barnes to the curb?

The staff pays absolutely no attention at all to recruit stars or ratings. They see their own players and judge them accordingly.

And well they should. Telling a kid that he has to take 2 years of a foreign language,calculus, science, etc doesn't attract the average jock. We need a unique student who can play football. Rivals,Scout, and ESPN do not consider that.

And Grobe's model was effective due to redshirting and being very selective about which true frosh saw the field.

Pick an approach, Lectro.

Fuck off you miserable tool.

Back