• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Basketball Coaching Carousel (Bo Ryan to retire in 2016)

Is Texas still, or maybe never was, an attractive b'ball job?

If so, I guess Shaka and Marshall will be high on their list. Heavens knows they have the $$$ to offer.

Lavin gone from St. John's too. Manning admits to going after kids whose coaches leave the school. Might be able to get a good late signee. Brandon Sampson (#11 SG and St. John's commit) said he would reconsider his oral commitment.

Texas has loads of money and a rich recruiting ground. They should be able to land a big name to replace Barnes. I wouldn't be shocked if this job managed to shake loose someone like Gregg Marshall or Shaka.

Texas is the most attractive job to open up in a long time. Since Kentucky. I wouldn't be surprised if Smart goes there. He's seen what Donovan was able to build in a similar environment.

Texas has made the NCAA tournament 16 out of the 17 years Barnes has been at the helm, and he is the Longhorns' all-time wins leader with an overall record of 402-180.

Greg Marshall is going to get $TEXAS$ this offseason. Either from Texas itself, or from the Koch brothers to stay in Wichita. He's going to be a very rich man, very soon.

I think St. John's is a really tough job. Extremely high expectations from the fan base given their basketball history, but their most successful period was decades ago, like the 1950s-the early 80s. Lou Carnesecca is a legend, and had SJU as the 4th most winning program in NCAA history (behind Kansas, Kentucky and Carolina) when he retired in the early 90s. Lavin did a great job there finally recovering that program from the disaster that Jarvis created.

Is Texas still, or maybe never was, an attractive b'ball job?

If so, I guess Shaka and Marshall will be high on their list. Heavens knows they have the $$$ to offer.

Don't see why it wouldn't be. Money, facilities, and they've been pulling great talent for years.

I think St. John's is a really tough job. Extremely high expectations from the fan base given their basketball history, but their most successful period was decades ago, like the 1950s-the early 80s. Lou Carnesecca is a legend, and had SJU as the 4th most winning program in NCAA history (behind Kansas, Kentucky and Carolina) when he retired in the early 90s. Lavin did a great job there finally recovering that program from the disaster that Jarvis created.

Well said; and its too bad. Been a long time since the NYC area has had a premier College Program....or pro team for that matter.

Last edited:
Texas has two committed 2015 SGs - #48 Eric Davis and #51 Kerwin Roach

Are these signed Letter of Intent committed or verbal commits? Big difference in whether they can be recruited right now. If signed, Texas would have to let them out of the LOI, much like Danny did with Shelton when he got to Wake. Otherwise, those guys are stuck at Texas for a year.

Please, Lavin sucks. My brother is an alum of SJU and Lavin is so fn overrated. First of all Norm Roberts inherited a shit storm left by Jarvis and cleaned up the program. He never won but he did all the cleaning up. Secondly Lavin took over and did a good job taking it to the next level. He had them in the NCAA's in 2 of the 4 (or 5 if you consider the year he left for cancer treatments). He did a great job recruiting there but never won shit with them. Never competed for a conference title, never even came close to winning a tourney game and his teams consistently got worse as the season went on. Ya he was decimated by early entries but the guy essentially set his recruiting sights on top 50 players and that was it. With that you are going to lose guys to early entries and the fact that he had a lot talent and never did shit with it is crazy. I mean next year that team is going to be the worst team in the Big East. It's better to try to rebuild it from the bottom then extending the guy and giving him a built in excuse for next year.

Also there is zero reason for present day St. Johns to not be similar to a Xavier. They've been in 14 of the last 15 NCAA's, occasional Sweet 16 app, and a rare elite 8 team. I mean They should have NYC recruiting to themselves as they have minimal competition in the city.

Last edited:
I'm sure every kid in NYC is dreaming of spending his college years in Queens lighting up a crippled Big East.

As somebody who grew up in Texas and watched a lot of UT basketball, this saddens me. His teams in the early 00's were fun to watch and they were pretty successful. What killed him was when he tried to be UK south and brought in one and dones like Avery Bradley, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and others. Those guys just treated college basketball as NBA tryouts and were garbage.

Are these signed Letter of Intent committed or verbal commits? Big difference in whether they can be recruited right now. If signed, Texas would have to let them out of the LOI, much like Danny did with Shelton when he got to Wake. Otherwise, those guys are stuck at Texas for a year.

LOI, but following coaching changes, kids get out of those on the reg

Back