• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Basketball Coaching Carousel (Bo Ryan to retire in 2016)

Some seem to think that Wisconsin might just promote their top assistant.

I'm aware of the family connection and that Bennett played at UWGB. All that said, I cannot see him leaving the UVa gig for the Wisky one. Wisconsin has been a good job for less than 20 years, and almost all of that is down to Ryan individually

Looks from the ESPN crawl that Ryan "hopes" he is succeeded by his assoc HC Greg Gund. So yeah Bennett is running a distant second.

One thing to keep in mind: when Dick Bennett retired from Wisconsin (Bennett retired and then came out of retirement to coach at Wazzu), he was not quite the legend that Bo Ryan has become, but he was close. He took Wisconsin to the Final 4, and Bennett built Wisconsin from a low-rung Big 10 program to perennial NCAA team. Anyway, Bennett resigned three games into the 2000-2001season, and so, Wisconsin had no choice, but retain Bennett's top assistant Brad Soderburg as head coach to coach the 2000-2001 season. Soderburg then led Wisconsin to the NCAAs, and everyone assumed that he would keep the job as Bennett's long time assistant.

Instead, Barry Alvarez let Soderburg go and hired Ryan. Great move. The point is that while I am sure that Wisconsin will give Gund a hard look, they will hire whomever is the best option regardless if the candidate is connected to Ryan or not. So, if Alvarez thinks he can get Bennett, he won't pass just because Bo Ryan had a great run in Madison.

rj was wrong, but this isn't the best example. If Wisconsin is a better job than Wake its solely because of the coaching at each institution since the turn of the century

waldo you could have cashed in on this bet like 3 months ago, donk

rj was wrong, but this isn't the best example. If Wisconsin is a better job than Wake its solely because of the coaching at each institution since the turn of the century

Wisconsin is currently a better job than Wake was last year. That's a pretty obvious and objective statement.

One thing to keep in mind: when Dick Bennett retired from Wisconsin (Bennett retired and then came out of retirement to coach at Wazzu), he was not quite the legend that Bo Ryan has become, but he was close. He took Wisconsin to the Final 4, and Bennett built Wisconsin from a low-rung Big 10 program to perennial NCAA team. Anyway, Bennett resigned three games into the 2000-2001season, and so, Wisconsin had no choice, but retain Bennett's top assistant Brad Soderburg as head coach to coach the 2000-2001 season. Soderburg then led Wisconsin to the NCAAs, and everyone assumed that he would keep the job as Bennett's long time assistant.

Instead, Barry Alvarez let Soderburg go and hired Ryan. Great move. The point is that while I am sure that Wisconsin will give Gund a hard look, they will hire whomever is the best option regardless if the candidate is connected to Ryan or not. So, if Alvarez thinks he can get Bennett, he won't pass just because Bo Ryan had a great run in Madison.

Yeah, and OTOH, the word is Dick reportedly wasn't happy with Wisconsin not permitting him to establish Tony as the coach in waiting and left in a bit of a huff. If true, the Bennett family might not revere UW as much as most would seem to think. There is also another prominent coach in VA who more recently had WI ties - the Good Buzz. As a practical matter, I don't see either Bennett or Buzz leaving for that position. I'm thinking Bennett sticks it out here where he makes great $$ and has a great gig - and in a place where he seems to be able to recruit at a higher level than Bo has at UW. I was down at VT yesterday visiting it with my niece, and they are excited about Buzz. Buzz is recruiting well, and they'll have a nice team in a couple years. That said, though it's too early for him to leave at this point for a place like UW, if he does have the success I expect him to have, I don't think he'll stick around more than 4-5 more years. Though I hope he does.

Calipari to the Sacramento Kings?

Calipari has been communicating with owner Vivek Ranadive and other members of the Kings' ownership group in recent weeks, league sources said. Calipari has listened to scenarios with which the Kings could offer him complete control of the franchise's fledgling basketball operations to go along with coaching, league sources said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kings--john-calipari--kentucky-195614697.html

Back