• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

That Irvine tweet is real cryptic.

That Irvine tweet is real cryptic.

Couple it with the fact that he retweeted a tweet that read "we want you to be part of Beaver Nation" right after he sent the cryptic tweet and we should have a decent idea what he meant. Clawson was in Jacksonville. I read that he met with Irvine's teammate Kahlil Welsh today.

I will be interested in the reaction around here if this class ends up in the mid-late 50's, the excitement of the summer seems a long time ago

Couple it with the fact that he retweeted a tweet that read "we want you to be part of Beaver Nation" right after he sent the cryptic tweet and we should have a decent idea what he meant. Clawson was in Jacksonville. I read that he met with Irvine's teammate Kahlil Welsh today.

Well, he retweeted your Wake tweet right before and a Utes one a little after, but you're right that it's not a super promising tweet the day before his Oregon St. visit.

I will be interested in the reaction around here if this class ends up in the mid-late 50's, the excitement of the summer seems a long time ago

I mean it was pretty much accepted that our class was going to drop when other schools started securing more commits, right?

I mean it was pretty much accepted that our class was going to drop when other schools started securing more commits, right?

Yep. And that's still better than previous classes. Grobe's last four full classes were 69, 70, 70, 59.

Yep. And that's still better than previous classes. Grobe's last four full classes were 69, 70, 70, 59.

is better enough? i'll bump the donation to our honors college if you can tell me the average recruiting bump in a coach's first year.

What made Grobe's classes even weaker was how many we lost after they arrived on campus. The attrition seemed unusually high. Of course some occurred due to injury. Still, a staff must bear a measure of responsibility for bringing in guys who quit.

Both Wake Forest (including Coach Clawson) and West Virginia visited with Kahlil Welsh today. Both schools want him to visit the weekend of January 23, but the Wake visit would have to be on his own nickel since he has already used his one official visit to Wake. It also sounds like he probably has an opportunity to visit Mizzou on January 30. In addition, Florida has recently made contact. However I don't think Mizzou or Florida are very heavily involved yet.

Some news and notes this morning:

Vanderbilt visited Marcus Marshall yesterday, so he is clearly a priority for them. A recent 247 article had Marshall as the 3rd most wanted player left on their board.

Both Indiana and Minnesota visited with Dior Johnson yesterday. Indiana’s visit was from their head coach. As of right now, Johnson still has a visit scheduled at Indiana on January 23rd, but the Gophers want him to cancel it and visit Minnesota that weekend.

247 confirmed that Wake Forest has offered Southern Miss commit safety Paxton Schrimsher (Athens, AL). He is discussing a possible visit to Wake Forest on January 23rd. Louisville actually jumped in yesterday with an offer and has already locked in a visit for the January 30th. Schrimsher is already 6’3/220 and Louisville envisions him growing into a linebacker role with them. Soon after Louisville offered 247 gave two Crystal Balls predicting Schrimsher to the Cardinals.

It think Wake Forest, Minnesota and Maryland all stopped by to see DT Mose Hall yesterday. I definitely took note of the Wake Forest visit given that they will be seeing him today for the start of his official visit. Maryland is coming back for another in-home on Monday.

RB/CB Dorian Walker’s visit to Georgia Tech is one that I will be watching closely. If he commits to GT, I think that it might shut out Marshall (but not necessarily). On the other hand, if Walker doesn’t commit this weekend I think that Wake Forest could have a real shot at him.

I was happy to see Jay Irvine tweet (already posted by someone) that his visit with Wake Forest was still on for next weekend. Clearly there was some kind of bump in the road with Wake yesterday. Hopefully it has been resolved.

YOUR WEEKEND VISIT PREVIEW

Wake Forest Visitors
Targets: Sihiem King, Mose Hall, Elontae Bateman
Commits: Dior Johnson, Nathan Gilliam, Dionte Austin, Nate Mays, Charles Wade, Paris Black, Chris Calhoun and Alex Bachman

Commits Visiting Other Schools
Jake Bargas will be at UNC
Christian Matthew will be at Georgia Southern

Targets Visiting Other Schools
RB Dorian Walker will be at Georgia Tech
RB Rocky Reid will be at Louisville
OG Quarvez Boulware will be at Alabama
CB Jay Irvine will be at Oregon State
DL T.J. Smith will be at Vanderbilt
S/LB Paxton Schrimsher will be at Southern Miss

Summaries of Selected Visitors (Mose Hall’s writeup has been updated. King’s is a repost)

Sihiem King (All-Purpose Back - 5’8/175) – Colquitt County HS / Moultrie, GA

Rating: 3-star (5.5)

Power 5 offers: Wake Forest (visiting 1/16), West Virginia (visiting 1/30), Washington State (visiting 1/23) and Georgia Tech

Hudl highlights: King

Background: A small, speed player that could contribute in a number of ways, including special teams. Georgia 6A player of the year. USA Today 2nd Team All-American. Had a huge year for eventual 6A state champion Colquitt County. Had 2,100 yards and 40 touchdowns in his senior season. Teammates with 2015 target DL T.J. Smith and 2016 target WR Kiel Pollard. West Virginia is recruiting him as an ATH that would be moved around between RB and Slot WR, plus return punts. Says that he is looking for playing time and a good education.

Visits: Made unofficial visits to Kentucky (no offer), Cincinnati, MTSU and South Alabama.

Recruitment: For a while Georgia Tech was his only power 5 conference offer. GT is no longer involved in his recruitment. West Virginia offered in November and immediately became the leader. King cited his familiarity with the WVU offense, his relationship with the coaching staff and the attention that he received from the fan base via social media as the reasons that he favored West Virginia. When he set up his official visit date with West Virginia he said that if he liked it he “might just drop a commitment”. He became concerned about his WVU recruitment when the offensive coordinator left the program, but he has since been reassured about his status with them. He told Scout in November that “I’m thinking WVU is where I’m going to spend the next four years of my life.”

Outlook: A lot depends on how things play out with West Virginia. West Virginia moved King’s official visit back from January 16th to January 30th. I suspect they did this because they are confident they can get King if they want him, so they pushed him back to give themselves the option of using his scholarship on a visitor during the first two visit weekends (January 16th or January 23rd). Wake Forest them jumped in and took the January 16th spot. That’s right where I would want Wake to be. First official visit, and before he has a chance to visit WVU.

Mose Hall (DT 6’4 / 250) – Murphy HS / Mobile, AL

Ranking: 2-star (5.4)

Power 5 offers: Wake Forest and Minnesota

Hudl highlights: Mose

Background: He was 2nd team all-state in the 7A classification in Alabama. Had 100 tackles (56 solo) and five tackles last season.

Recruitment: Minnesota was the first to offer (October 13) and they have a significant lead in his recruitment. He has become one of the Gophers top targets and was recently quoted as saying that “I’m loving it (his Minnesota recruitment) and really thinking about committing”. That was before his Wake Forest offer (December 12) though. However, even in a more recent article he said that he was definitely leaning towards Minnesota. The Gophers currently hold all 5 of his 247 Crystal Ball predictions. Maryland was the latest school to get involved. He has a visit scheduled to College Park scheduled for January 30th, but I don’t think that the Terps have offered yet.

Last edited:
2015 FB Recruiting: Hinton, Archibold, and Tabari Hines enroll in spring sem...

Dan Collins article says that Desmond Floyd and Kevin Sousa will graduate in May. Zach Gordon will serve as a student assistant coach. Floyd was the name that I had mentioned this week that took me by surprise.

ETA: The same article says that the spring game will be April 11.

Last edited:
Good for Zach Gordon. I'd assume his playing career is over. How is quality of life looking for him?

I don't think so. Why do you ask? I think the first question is whether Georgia Tech will have room for him. The conventional wisdom is they are his first choice.

I was being lazy with my research and just basing it off of 247's predictions. Thanks for clearing it up.

One correction to this morning's Weekend Preview: Quarvez Boulware has cancelled his Alabama trip and will spend the weekend visiting Maryland unofficially. Remember that he lives close to the College Park campus.

The Boulware thing seems obvious. He didn't cancel the Alabama trip. They cancelled him and always had him as a backup plan as they had not offered him yet. Good for Wake Forest in that they had interest but typical of the problem in recruiting information in that whatever the kid says is taken as truth and often times is not. Seems his best offers are Wake and Maryland and it will come down to those two.

The Boulware thing seems obvious. He didn't cancel the Alabama trip. They cancelled him and always had him as a backup plan as they had not offered him yet. Good for Wake Forest in that they had interest but typical of the problem in recruiting information in that whatever the kid says is taken as truth and often times is not. Seems his best offers are Wake and Maryland and it will come down to those two.

Quarvez has always been candid about the fact that he did not have an Alabama offer. I think there was a misunderstanding this summer that got cleared up fairly quickly. I don't know for sure, but I think that he cancelled because he didn't want to waste his time when he could be spending it at Maryland.

Also Florida is making a strong push to get in the game. New staff there with a late start though.

Back