• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

I think 60s would have been Grobe's high mark...I'm hopeful that a few late 4 stars might propel us into the 30s. Can't see us finishing significantly lower than Duke and thinking we can compete for the upper division. That won't happen if we keep trending with the most recent-type verbals....

Last edited:
I'm thinking high 40s, which is impressive given recent history.

I don't get the focus on team rankings like those on Rivals. The way that Rivals does the team rankings seems to put more weight on how many recruits a team signs versus the quality of the recruits. I don't find that type of measure very interesting myself.

Why doesn't Rivals use the average star rating as the basis for the team ranking? That would still be flawed, but at least a little more relevant than what they are doing now.

For example, right now USC has 9 commits with an average star rating of 3.89 (!) and they are ranked #16. Boston College is virtually tied with USC despite an average star rating of only 2.65. Why? They have 23 commits. The whole ranking just seems crazy. It is just tracking # of commits.

Rivals only counts the Top 20 recruits in the class.

Even still, isn't average star rating a much better measure? Boston College is not having a good year. How can they be rated #17?

Who has the better class?

School A - 10 commits with a 3.9 average star rating
School B - 15 commits with a 3.7 average star rating

I would have said School A. But I agree with your point that you still need a sliding scale. However you can't tell me that Rivals isn't overly biased by volume. Boston College and USC are not having comparable recruiting years this year.

If you have a year where you only have 15 scholarships to give, aren't you locked into a comparatively bad year in the team rankings?

You're locked into a worse year than a program with more recruits that overall were slightly lower rated.

If the program with 15 scholarships has a strong class and the program with 20 scholarships has 15 comparable recruits and 5 slightly lower rated recruits, average ratings says the second is worse.

The problem with Rivals to me is more their scale and points than using total over average. I think using the top 20 makes a lot of sense. They provide average stars anyway to put it in context and you can order the list by that if you like. I think it's a good balance.

Who wouldn't take a 2* Riley Skinner over all the 3* QBs we have taken since. Was Tanner better as a freshman then as a senior? He might have come here as a 3* but he didn't leave here that much better (Fuck You, LOBO). This is why I look for character in the kids write-up. An example is Arcega-Whiteside, who is described as improving each of his last two seasons. We have plenty of 3*s on the OL, but the unit, from what was seen in the spring, is a disaster.

Rivals article further clarifies that Freddie Simmons is down to three schools: Wake, Rutgers and UVA.

Nice to not see Cal or Purdue on that list.

I think this provides more evidence that his list which said "no order" was, in fact, in order. 1. Wake, 2. Rutgers, 3. Virginia. However, I think there is ample time for things to change in the next couple of weeks. Also, I don't think that academics are a primary factor. Based on the articles that I have read I am guessing that his decision will be made largely based on his perception of his ability to get early PT, his level of comfort with the coaching staff, and where he feels the most wanted. All areas where UVA and Rutgers could make up ground.

The head to head with Rutgers is interesting. Both Wake and Rutgers are both looking to take a lot of WRs in this class, both already have multiple WR commits (they have 2 and we have 3), both have targeted a lot of the same WR recruits, and they are also the 2 schools in the lead for Lawrence Cager (at least out of the schools that have offered). Rutgers is closer to home for Simmons and was the leader a few months ago.

If I was Clawson and, hypothetically, had to decide between taking Simmons or taking my chances on landing Cager or Arcega-Whiteside, I would take Simmons 100 times out of 100. I simply would not want to take the risk that I end up with none of the three.

Take the kid that wants to be on your team, not the guy who takes us as a fall back.

New article on Quarvez Boulware. No real change but given who it is I figured I should post an update. No longer names a leader but continues to mention Wake as prominently, if not more, as any other program. Said again he is focused on Wake, Florida, Maryland and UNC. And yes, he mentioned Wake first on that list. Still open to other schools. Likely not close to making a decision.

As a reminder, he is at The Opening in Oregon starting today.

New article on Quarvez Boulware. No real change but given who it is I figured I should post an update. No longer names a leader but continues to mention Wake as prominently, if not more, as any other program. Said again he is focused on Wake, Florida, Maryland and UNC. And yes, he mentioned Wake first on that list. Still open to other schools. Likely not close to making a decision.

As a reminder, he is at The Opening in Oregon starting today.

too far away...........plus, who wants to be a Duck????

too far away...........plus, who wants to be a Duck????

It's an invite only all star camp. Don't think he was inferring he was worried about him committing

Sorry yes, elite invite-only camp. Nike is trying to develop as the premier football recruiting event of the spring/summer. Will get lots of media coverage. Plus several hours of coverage this week on ESPNU. Cager is also there. Plus the Elite 11 finals with QBs that we have talked about in this thread like Ross Bowers and Sam Darnold.

Back