• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

I'm assuming P or P/K.

Interesting that they rank him 5 in his class but by their star system he is not a full D1 recruit. My impression has been that it is a limited pool of K/P that are ranked by that site.
We must think he is pretty good if we took him this early.

Interesting that they rank him 5 in his class but by their star system he is not a full D1 recruit. My impression has been that it is a limited pool of K/P that are ranked by that site.
We must think he is pretty good if we took him this early.

With Sailer/Rubio the star rating reflects in which division the individual is ready to start today. 4 1/2 stars as a rising junior, Maggio will easily be a 5 star kicker ready to start the day he walks on campus.

Sailer/Rubio are the best in their business for a number of different reasons. Trust Coach Scheier.

Shrinking QB alert:Travis Smith down to 6.1 per updated football roster available through the acc.com football media guide. A lot of returnees on defense have added girth.

I'm surprised we're still going so hard after kickers and punters. I thought we had a few good options on the roster now, especially with Centers.

A dead period ended yesterday and there are a number of notes on some of the Big Board recruits that Wake is still involved with. Nothing earth-shattering, but I figured that I would pass along what I had read.

DL GG Robinson will return to Wake Forest this week for an overnight visit. This will be his second time visiting campus this summer. He will then take his first visit to Mississippi State before heading to Virginia. He says the Virginia visit will be his last unofficial. I still believe that Wake Forest trails Virginia for GG. The most recent Rivals article says that he will probably commit to the school that is recruiting him the hardest. It also says that he talks to the UVA coach more often than any other coach. He is targeting an August decision. My guess is early to mid-August.

One interesting note from an earlier GG Robinson article, one of the two trainers that he is working with this summer is former NFL-standout Takeo Spikes. I will also say that GG is one of the better follows on Twitter. Seems like a good dude.

If the staff is willing to add a fifth DL to the class (other than top-target Kengera Daniel), I haven’t been able to pick up that signal anywhere else. Rahn Bailey was the other confirmed visitor this summer and he just named Navy and Wisconsin as his two leaders. Very little is written about Kenneth Brinson, but the last article on him didn’t mention Wake Forest.

OLB/S Justin Strnad visited UCF yesterday. With that visit behind him, he seems ready to decide soon. Most likely from a group that includes Wake Forest, UCF and Illinois. Duke offered him earlier, but I don’t get the sense that they are actively recruiting him. Iowa State has offered, and wants him to visit, but he seems ready to commit without having visited Ames which doesn’t seem like a good sign for them. He visited Wake in June.

Strnad strikes me as a target for programs looking for a very specific type of player. He is kind of a safety/linebacker tweener, but I think that teams are increasingly looking for that type of player. He is a target for the Rover position that Hunter Williams is playing right now. The Tampa Bay local newspaper recently ranked him the #52 high school player in the Tampa-area. There is good film from a recent camp here link that will give you a good sense of the height, frame and long arms that have put him in the mix with some Power 5 conference schools. When you evaluate his cover skills, keep in mind he is more of an LB-type recruit.

S Johnny Petrishen will visit Wake Forest the weekend of July 25th. I am not clear whether this is his first or second visit to Wake this summer. He had a visit scheduled for June, but I am not sure if it happened. He will also visit Virginia and is still considering trips to Northwestern and Stanford. I had posted previously that both are considering offering Petrishen. I know that Pitt fans think that they have the inside track on the home state recruit, but Pitt doesn’t have too many scholarships this year and their class is nearly full. Plus, he is focused on the higher academic schools. My guess is that this comes down to Virginia and Wake, plus either Stanford or Northwestern if they choose to offer. He is now targeting a decision in the Fall.

OL Kameron Eloph attended a camp at Alabama yesterday. I don’t know if he was there on an invite necessarily, but he did get a shout out on Twitter after the camp from a Tide assistant. I doubt he is close to a Bama offer, but he does have offers from Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati and TCU. I know that Wake Forest is still active with him as he tweeted the “Most Wanted” poster not too long ago. I also think he is prioritizing the academic-side more than some others.

Another camp, another offer for WR Lawrence Cager as he apparently impressed at Virginia Tech. The offers are coming so fast for Cager that websites like Rivals are having a tough time keeping up. Best estimate is 15-17 Power 5 conference offers. I have posted earlier his plan for camps over the remainder of the month. There are a lot of them.

Last edited:
I should also mention that the fifth and last Clawson football camp is Friday. This is the second Friday Night Lights Camp. At one point, I had thought that this camp would be the most well attended camp (sort of saving the best for last) but with so many camp offers already having been extended and accepted, I wonder if that is indeed the case.

Kengera Daniel said last month that he would visit this coming weekend. I will watch for confirmation that the visit is still on.

I have read that 2016 DT Christian Colon (Charlotte, NC) will camp on Friday. I bet the staff is excited about that as Colon is one of the bigger 2016 recruits (both literally and figuratively) that is mentioning Wake early in the process.

Thanks as always, 94.

Back