• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

One of the things that I have noticed in following football recruiting this year is that, in my opinion, the rankings done by Rivals and others seem to have diminishing value once you get below four stars. What I mean by that is not “rankings don’t matter”, I am being supporter of the view that in general teams that get higher ranked recruits will win more football games. Instead, I think there are two problems with using rankings below 4-star: 1) there is too wide of a range of players that get 3-star ratings and 2) there seem to be a lot of players blowing up on the recruiting front that are “unrated”. There are 3-star players with multiple offers from elite programs and there are 3-star players getting relatively little recruiting interest. The unrated category is even worse. I used to think that “unrated” meant “one-star” but now I realize that unrated means they just haven’t reviewed them yet for one reason or another. When I start looking into a player that Wake has offered that is unrated, I now appreciate that I could find a really wide range of actual recruiting interest for that player.

Once you get below 4-stars, I find the quality of the offer sheet is a better measure for me to differentiate players. For example, I had thought before that I would like to do a year over year comparison of how Wake has done in football recruiting using a measure of the quality of offer sheets, but it would simply require too much time and effort.

So it goes without saying that I was pretty psyched when I ran across rankbyoffers.com. It appears to be a website that uses a formula to rank players based solely on the QUANTITY and QUALITY of their offer sheets. Maybe some of you were aware of it already, but it is new to me. Like anything that is based solely on a formula I think this will have some flaws. For example, I think that it would be difficult to figure out how to weigh quantity versus quality in a formula. I also think that offer sheets can be impacted by a wide range of factors (timing of commitments, GPA etc etc). So it is not perfect. However, I think that it will be a good tool for differentiating players within the wide range of 3-star and unranked players. It also gives some national perspective for players outside of (for example) the Rivals 250. I am going to incorporate these rankings into my Big Board alongside the Rivals rankings. It should be interesting to follow over period of years.

As a preview, here are the players on the Big Board that are ranked in overall top 400 by Rankbyoffers:

#235 Kalif Jackson (WR)
#321 Ryan Gibson (OL)
#327 Jake Bargas (TE)
#329 Riley Nicholson (LB)
#352 Kyle Henderson (DL)
#354 Quarvez Boulware (OL)
#364 Brian Chaffin (OL)
#382 Devine Ozigbo (RB)
#394 Chris Cunningham (TE)
#395 DJ Moore (WR)

It looks like there is info out on the site for 2013 and 2014. Maybe someone has the time today to put together a summary of how our players in those classes fared in the rankings.

Last edited:
Also, can someone do me a favor? I am not very good at posting things from Twitter. Can someone copy the 2 Wake tweets from Jozie Milton's Twitter account into either this thread or the twitter thread? The one with the Cohen picture in particular is pretty comical.

Also, can someone do me a favor? I am not very good at posting things from Twitter. Can someone copy the 2 Wake tweets from Jozie Milton's Twitter account into either this thread or the twitter thread? The one with the Cohen picture in particular is pretty comical.
BntXSUrIgAIO0k1.jpg

One of the things that I have noticed in following football recruiting this year is that, in my opinion, the rankings done by Rivals and others seem to have diminishing value once you get below four stars. What I mean by that is not “rankings don’t matter”, I am being supporter of the view that in general teams that get higher ranked recruits will win more football games. Instead, I think there are two problems with using rankings below 4-star: 1) there is too wide of a range of players that get 3-star ratings and 2) there seem to be a lot of players blowing up on the recruiting front that are “unrated”. There are 3-star players with multiple offers from elite programs and there are 3-star players getting relatively little recruiting interest. The unrated category is even worse. I used to think that “unrated” meant “one-star” but now I realize that unrated means they just haven’t reviewed them yet for one reason or another. When I start looking into a player that Wake has offered that is unrated, I now appreciate that I could find a really wide range of actual recruiting interest for that player.

Once you get below 4-stars, I find the quality of the offer sheet is a better measure for me to differentiate players. For example, I had thought before that I would like to do a year over year comparison of how Wake has done in football recruiting using a measure of the quality of offer sheets, but it would simply require too much time and effort.

So it goes without saying that I was pretty psyched when I ran across rankbyoffers.com. It appears to be a website that uses a formula to rank players based solely on the QUANTITY and QUALITY of their offer sheets. Maybe some of you were aware of it already, but it is new to me. Like anything that is based solely on a formula I think this will have some flaws. For example, I think that it would be difficult to figure out how to weigh quantity versus quality in a formula. I also think that offer sheets can be impacted by a wide range of factors (timing of commitments, GPA etc etc). So it is not perfect. However, I think that it will be a good tool for differentiating players within the wide range of 3-star and unranked players. It also gives some national perspective for players outside of (for example) the Rivals 250. I am going to incorporate these rankings into my Big Board alongside the Rivals rankings. It should be interesting to follow over period of years.

As a preview, here are the players on the Big Board that are ranked in overall top 400 by Rankbyoffers:

#235 Kalif Jackson (WR)
#321 Ryan Gibson (OL)
#327 Jake Bargas (TE)
#329 Riley Nicholson (LB)
#352 Kyle Henderson (DL)
#354 Quarvez Boulware (OL)
#364 Brian Chaffin (OL)
#382 Devine Ozigbo (RB)
#394 Chris Cunningham (TE)
#395 DJ Moore (WR)

It looks like there is info out on the site for 2013 and 2014. Maybe someone has the time today to put together a summary of how our players in those classes fared in the rankings.

94, if you think about the star system as if its the rating of baseball players, it might be easier. A five tool baseballer can do it all, (run. hit, hit for power, field and throw). For 3* footballers, two aspects are missing. A program might overlook height of a QB, or speed of a RB. Others would disqualify a prospect for these traits. Army might take a 6'0" OL, because he fits their system, that no one else would even look at. Florida wanted speed no matter what. With Claw, you want fast LBs because they won't be taking on OL in the hole, but need to get to the sideline because no one is out there. He'll need big DTs to protect the LBs, but could live with 240 lbs Ends to rush and contain. You can also see this when an NFL team takes a 4-3 end in the draft and spend 2 years making him a LB. So forget the star, just find a kid who can play in your system.

Ummm.....

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/kinkaid-qb-jt-granato-commits-to-rice/26008418

HOUSTON -
The college football recruiting season never stops and Thursday night the Rice Owls landed Kinkaid High School Quarterback J.T. Granato.

Granato had been going through the recruiting process and had offers from the likes of UH, Maryland, Wake Forest and Indiana.

Rice got creative by sending a letter to the Granato family cat Kitty that encouraged J.T. to pledge to the Owls, according to his father John Granato is a SportsTalk Radio host for Houston's Yahoo Sports Radio 1560.

That sealed things for the Kinkaid Quarterback and Rivals.com three-star-recruit who threw for 3,394 yards and 42 touchdowns in 2013.

I wouldn't want a kid who takes advice from his cat. Or who has such a gullible cat in the first place.

Rank by Offers looks like a nice start. There are some holes in their methodology that I hope will work out over time. Using a weighted elo chess to rank the schools is good.

I think they need to do more to consider what each offer means and what the quantity of offers means.

I would weight offers based on how many offers a program has given. Selectivity. For example, if a program has 50 offers out for 25 open slots, I'd give each offer the value of 0.5*elo. Once a kid commits to a program, the value of that offer is 1*elo + the same school at that time for all other schools. Dealing with commits is an issue with a quantitative system like this because the system has to assume a kid isn't in play because for most schools, he isn't.

The other thing I'd do is to only use the rankings of the top 10 schools to offer a kid as the basis of his ranking. A SC kid offered by only the top 10 programs in the elo rankings shouldn't be ranked lower than an Ohio kid offered by the same 10 schools and a few MAC schools. That may be a factor of geography.

Overall, it's probably an improvement on the current system although a far cry from what Nate Silver did with polling data, for example.

Was watching NFL Network's "Top 10 Rookie Seasons", and opening shows Bill Parcells chirping to a rookie "these guys will come at you, it's not like playing Wake Forest". It was #32 he was talking to. Just sank in my chair being reminded of what we deal with.

He was a kick returner from unc. His name is Leon Johnson, he was a 4th round RB.

Last edited:
The Oakland regional for the Elite 11 QB camp was yesterday. This camp is notable from a Wake perspective because Travis Waller, Sam Darnold, Kyle Kearns and Ross Bowers were all in attendance.

I will post more about the camp later, but the biggest news was that Travis Waller and Sam Darnold both got invited to the Elite 11 finals this summer. ESPN usually devotes an hour in primetime each year to a one-hour documentary on the Finals camp.

Apparently when Darnold got his invite, Trent Dilfer told the camp counselors and participants "a lot of you didn't know the name 'Sam Darnold' before you got here but you're going to remember it now".

Edited to add: Obviously chances are pretty slim at this point that we land Darnold, but full credit to Coach Ruggiero both for recruiting him earlier than other schools did and for pulling the trigger on an offer at a time when we weren't giving many out. That leads me to believe that he can evaluate QB talent.

Last edited:
Was watching NFL Network's "Top 10 Rookie Seasons", and opening shows Bill Parcells chirping to a rookie "these guys will come at you, it's not like playing Wake Forest". It was #32 he was talking to. Just sank in my chair being reminded of what we deal with.

fuck Parcells. Big fat fucking tuna.

I don't think ranking takes into account grades, acdemics in general, drugs, coachability, and "bad eggs", all of which may influence an offer sheet....

I don't think ranking takes into account grades, acdemics in general, drugs, coachability, and "bad eggs", all of which may influence an offer sheet....

I agree with this. Rank By Offer will vary somewhat from Rivals rankings, however I still think that it is an interesting tool.

Back