• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Nyheim Hines to announce decision Friday at 3pm.
Good news is that he hasn't taken an official or in-home with Duke or even visited campus since early summer. Would guess it is just down to us or State. He and his sister just seem like the perfect Wake student-athletes, hopefully they see themselves here as well.

Rocky Reid needs to pay attention- Tennessee jettisoned 3 more FR players from last years class to make room for their over signing this year and makes it 5 or 6 so far. Big Butch is right in time with the SEC as he has already pulled several offers from committed players as he trades up. Louisville is UT Light.

I don't understand how that works. Does the coach somehow talk a kid into leaving or does he actually cut him? I thought once you were on scholarship you had to break the rules to get kicked out.

I don't understand how that works. Does the coach somehow talk a kid into leaving or does he actually cut him? I thought once you were on scholarship you had to break the rules to get kicked out.

A scholarship is just good for one year. A program is under no obligation to renew it. So some schools will exercise that option if you're not producing or they think they have better options in the next class.

No. Scholarships are for one year and they get renewed a maximum of four more times by the school. While morally questionable, a school can pull a player's scholarship for any reason.

2015 FB Recruiting: 247 predicts Wake FLIP for Tennessee commit 3* RB Rocky Reid

The subject of one-year versus four-year guaranteed scholarships is actually part of the Northwestern union movement.

Wiki has a page devoted to the practice of "oversigning" here: link It includes the following: "NCAA rules permit oversigning up to 28 NLI, though some college football fans view oversigning as unethical, arguing that it requires schools and coaches to be dishonest with young adult and adolescent recruits by promising them a roster spot and scholarship only to pull it before the person graduates or even makes the team"

An SI writer wrote the following in February: "My primary concern is for the many players around the country who will be cut loose in the coming months to make room for newcomers. Most, in turn, will transfer to less prestigious schools. Still, it's impossible to police such cases, because privacy laws preclude coaches from having to explain if or why a player lost his scholarship, and there are myriad other factors on both ends that go into transfer decisions. At this point, all fans can hope is that there has been enough coverage of oversigning that recruits know what they're getting into before they sign, that they're not being grayshirted involuntarily and that they realize that not all scholarships are guaranteed for four years. Beyond that, if neither the NCAA nor the conferences feel compelled to crack down on the issue, then I can't fault coaches like Jones for taking advantage."

My understanding is that Wake football acts as if scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years (but notably not five). That makes the rebuild tougher for Clawson as he has to carry some Grobe recruits that won't ever play, but it is more ethical.

Last edited:
2015 FB Recruiting: 247 predicts Wake FLIP for Tennessee commit 3* RB Rocky Reid

Good news is that he hasn't taken an official or in-home with Duke or even visited campus since early summer. Would guess it is just down to us or State. He and his sister just seem like the perfect Wake student-athletes, hopefully they see themselves here as well.

He was at VT this weekend

CB/WR Chris Williamson was offered by UNC this morning. I find his story really interesting given the article from a while back that he recently hired an external company to help him market himself better. Then he goes from a UL-M commitment to offers from Wake, BYU, Northwestern, Virginia, Cal and UNC in a matter of weeks. He is on a huge roll. His situation is obviously helped by the fact that he has a good senior tape, solid combine numbers and is high character/high academics.

Keep an eye on Nyheim Hines 247 predictions this week. I have noticed this year that the predictions made closer to commitment date seem pretty accurate. The ones made earlier in the process? Not very accurate, as would be expected to be the case.

Hines has had 13 predictions on 247 since the beginning of November. All 13 have gone for N.C. State. If that doesn't change before Friday, assume it is a done deal.

Florida A&M commit (decommit?) CB Jay Irvine was offered by Iowa State this morning. So much for the "dead" period.

I can't tell how many Power 5 programs Irvine is actually working with right now. Expected to visit Wake officially in January but does not yet have a Wake offer. Is he Wake's backup plan for Chris Williamson????????

Was Hines' sister offered a full ride or partial? That could really be a difference maker. The out of pocket expenses of Wake vs State for a partial scholarship is substantial.

We are not getting Hines, btw, absent a miracle. But Rocky Reid or Marcus Marshall would be nice.

Even an injury?

Yes. That said, you can put designate that a player is injured/cannot return. This means he is still on scholarship and can finish school, but does not count towards the 85 scholarship limit. I don't know the status of Zach Gordon's injury and don't really want to speculate, but perhaps that could happen in his situation.

The player can't play for another school either. Hartsill was the last Deac to get the medical release.

Not Wake-related, but for those interested QB Austin King committed to Indiana

You're right. The first guy that I heard who recieved this was John Gallagher. Frank Souza's teammate from HS.

Was Hines' sister offered a full ride or partial? That could really be a difference maker. The out of pocket expenses of Wake vs State for a partial scholarship is substantial.
The track team would have to want you really, really bad to full you. They usually only go to foreign students.

Back