• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 FB Recruiting: Mr. South Carolina Matt Colburn signs with #theawakening!

Some additional changes for the scholarship chart:

Add: Hunter Williams (confirmed scholarship), Maggio (2016 commit), Garrett Wilson

Remove: Helms, Ramsey, Hedlund, Goodwin, Virgile (the latter based solely on posts to this thread that sounded confident).

I don't know what to do with Lee Autry since there is some conflicting info on his Twitter. If it were me I would probably remove him for now.

Hearing that the decision to redshirt Archibald has (effectively) already been made.

Last edited:
We had first momentum on Rocky now late momentum... Seems like ours to lose.

Should I assume from Scheier's last couple of tweets that Quarvez is going to Florida?

To set expectations for tomorrow, I think the chances are pretty much zero that Boulware or Reid will commit tomorrow. Both have scheduled commitment dates and presumably will have ceremony-style announcements. Both have big visits next weekend as well (Boulware at Florida, and Reid at West Virginia).

The wildcard among the Wake visitors is Jay Irvine. If he is going to flip to Wake, I guess it could happen tomorrow. He has a visit to Maryland scheduled for next weekend, but I don’t know how strong the interest really is on either side (between Irvine and the Terps).

There will be lots to watch for at other schools tomorrow. If Dior makes it through the day without committing to the Gophers that would be really good news for Wake. I am expecting Mose Hall to commit there though. Marcus Marshall has an announcement date set for January 27, but I suppose he could pull the trigger on Georgia Tech tomorrow if there is a spot for him. With Florida (and probably Mizzou) visits ahead it seems like Kahlil Welsh almost certainly won’t be committing anywhere tomorrow.

It has been fantastic to see all of the Twitter activity from Wake fans this weekend. I'm not sure how much of a difference that it really makes, but I am convinced that it makes SOME difference. The two best tweets this weekend have undoubteldly been the guy offering to get the "Quarvez" tattoo and the guy who sent the "So you're saying there's a chance" Jim Carrey internet meme to Jay Irvine. Great, great stuff. I applaud you.

How is the F did he break his leg?? Maybe Bargas will reconsider ?

Informal workout with one of the QBs. Bargas? Um, no.

With Archibald, Bargas and Gordon all gone we are down to Serigne, Pike and O'Neil at TE. Obviously more of a concern with quantity than quality.

What I am hearing is that O'Neil couldn't play dead in a Cowboy Movie. . .FWIW.

Which services have Kearns a 4 star? I noticed Scout has him as a 3.

Thanks....do you know if he was a 3 there as well but was bumped to a 4? If so, do you know the reason for his stock rising?

My thoughts on Kyle Kearns:

Personally, I am thrilled with the commitment. Getting Kearns gives the staff two of the QBs that they were deciding between in the spring. I think there was a point in the spring where the staff was deciding whether to prioritize Hinton, Kearns or now Cal-commit Ross Bowers. Ultimately they decided on Hinton.

If there is any doubt that the staff continues to view Kendall Hinton as the #1 QB in the class consider that they waited until he was safely enrolled in class before they offered another QB. Interestingly, they actually offered now N.C. State-commit Jakobi Meyers before offering Kearns. However, Kearns is a simply spectacular addition as the #2 QB in the class and I think there is a possibility that he starts a lot of games at Wake Forest. I think that the staff is going to play the QB that gives them the best chance to win and who know what will happen once Wolford, Kearns and Hinton all get on the practice field side-by-side? As a Wake Forest fan, that is a nice thought.

Part of my excitement about Kearns stems from his success at the Elite 11 camps last year. I have a lot of respect for those camps at their selection process. Kearns was active on the Elite 11 circuit, and last June the Elite 11 organizers announced that he was one of 11 QBs under consideration for the last 3 spots in the finals. So that puts him easily within the top 25 QBs in the country according to the Elite 11 evaluators.

The biggest surprise about the staff taking Kearns is that they have shown lately that they prefer QBs who are more balanced in their ability to pass and run. More true dual-threat QBs. Just take a look at the two 2016 QBs offered this past week. I think that the added weapon of a running threat is a big reason they like Hinton so much. Yet Kearns is a prototypical pocket passer. So a bit of a surprise, but I fall back on the fact that Clawson and Ruggiero pride themselves on adapting the offense to the talent that they have on hand. If Kearns rises to the top of the QB depth chart at some point, they will adapt the offense around him.

My expectation is that Kearns will redshirt this season barring injuries to Wolford and Hinton. That will put him two years behind Wolford and one year behind Hinton in terms of eligibility.

The answer to the question why did he not receive more offers? Of course, I can only speculate. However it seems possible that it is because of his lack of running ability and the fact that he was in a simply loaded class of QBs on the West Coast. There were only so many Pac-12 offers to go around and he may simply have been the guy left standing when the music stopped.

Scouting reports (accumulated from around the web)
Strengths: Accuracy, decision-making, great rhythm, coachability, leadership. Has a true QB mind, and has demonstrated that in the film room.
Areas for Improvement: Weighed 184 lbs last spring on a 6’3 frame so he will probably look to add some bulk. Arm strength and velocity lagged behind some of the elite arms in the country.

More background on Kyle Kearns and his recruitment from my research this weekend:

His first appearance in a Rivals feature article/video was almost 2.5 years ago (September 2012). Since then he has been featured or mentioned in 62 articles on Rivals. Was ranked by Rivals as high as the #9 pro-style QB in the country last spring.

By mid-February last year, Kearns had thrown for several top programs (Oregon, Stanford, Michigan, Arizona State, Arizona) but hadn’t received any offers. In April he took unofficial visits to Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and SMU. He said afterwards that SMU and Oklahoma State were the most interested, and that Oklahoma State had told him specifically that he was next in line to get an offer if their top targets committed elsewhere. By early May, SMU was his lone offer but by then he was heavily involved with Wake Forest and Cal. His impression is that both schools were close to offering at that point, but neither came through. He would later attend a camp at Colorado, but come away without an offer there. He committed to SMU in June, and decommitted in early-December after the coaching change.

I was thinking the same thing about him being a pocket passer watching the video posted on this board. Does seem staff likes a QB who can run as well. Sounds like a good pick up.

I was thinking the same thing about him being a pocket passer watching the video posted on this board. Does seem staff likes a QB who can run as well. Sounds like a good pick up.

This is what I'm hoping is the case. Taking a high-end pocket passer when the trend across the country is dual-threat. I also think it will be a nice change to have a QB that is 6'3.

Back