• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016-2017 Basketball Starting Line-up...

if moore isn't starting/playing a lot next year then he's very likely the latest failed seven footer "project"

if moore isn't starting/playing a lot next year then he's very likely the latest failed seven footer "project"

I think he should develop nicely in the off-season. If Manning knows anything it's the development of big men.

Withey, Kaun, Aldridge, Thomas Robinson to a lesser extent.

it's not like moore will be buried under a bunch of frontcourt depth either

His conditioning sure is gong to have to improve.

This is one of the great question marks for the 2016-17 Wake BB team. How many minutes will Doral Moore's body allow him to play at a time? How many total per game? Doral's game seemed to have developed nicely from beginning of the season to the end. If that continues, and he makes the usual freshman to sophomore jump, and his conditioning allows him to play 20 - 25 minutes per game, that would really help next year.

My preferred time splits at the 4/5:
Collins: 30
Moore: 25
Dinos: 17
SJM: 8

Where this doesn't work is if Collins and Moore cannot play at the same time or Moore simply isn't physically ready for that many minutes. Dinos' shooting also could change this. If he has many more Indiana like games and fewer 0-6 games along with improved rebounding and defense, he will be getting more minutes. A good shooting Dinos is a problem for the other team's defense. A bad shooting Dinos is a liability for Wake's defense and offense.

If SJM is decent, Moore's minutes aren't a big problem. They could even go 25/20/20/15 between JC/DM/Dinos/SJM.

If SJM is decent, Moore's minutes aren't a big problem. They could even go 25/20/20/15 between JC/DM/Dinos/SJM.

Yes that could happen, particularly towards the end of the year. I am just reluctant to put much stock in the abilities of a guy (SJM) about whom very little is known. Playing his senior year in Britain keeps him away from all the usual sources of info on how he is playing.

The bigs next year have many questions. Can Collins stay out of foul trouble enough to play 25-30 minutes? How many minutes at a time, and how many minutes total per game will Doral Moore be able to handle? Will Dinos shot come back? Will he get better/tougher at defense and rebounding? What will SJM be able to do and what will he do well?

I will strongly disagree with your "fix." Manning showed a willingness to play Moore as much as his body could stand. There were some games when he was panting and pulling on his shorts, clear signs of being winded/tired. Given that, why would he leave? Only if he is pushed out because SJM is a lot better than advertised, or some McD AA suddenly shows on the recruiting radar. A lot of big guys seem to take longer to be physically ready for long stints at ACC level of play. I put Moore in that category. He will be much more useful as a Jr/Sr than he has been as a freshman.

At the beginning of the season, about all you could say about his play was that he was tall. By the end of the season, he could give 4 good minutes twice a game, maybe a bit more. If he could double that, say two good four+ minute runs per half, that would be great. He already seems to understand that he is the tallest guy out there and has a long reach. Maybe it's time for Kareem to teach this summer in C Web's class, and teach Doral the skyhook.

You certainly make good points. I was simply saying that given the abstract of Moore not starting and/or not seeing a significant increase in minutes, he's extremely likely to transfer (especially given the overall trend of attrition in WFU men's basketball).

If Moore could give us a reliable 16 minutes a game that would be great. If SJM could get to a point where we can reliably get some serviceable minutes out of him and Collins picks up the rest of the minutes at the 5 we could end up developing a really nice front court.

You certainly make good points. I was simply saying that given the abstract of Moore not starting and/or not seeing a significant increase in minutes, he's extremely likely to transfer (especially given the overall trend of attrition in WFU men's basketball).

The abstract is fine. However, Manning is on record as saying that Moore was "behind Devin." That is not an issue any longer, with Devin graduating. Now I believe it is up to Moore to be in shape to play as many of Devin's minutes as he physically can. Maybe he needs to see an exercise physiologist over at WFU Med and figure out what is going on.

I like what I see from Moore in his short stints. But so far that is all he can manage. If his minutes are small next year for the same reason, he isn't going anywhere, because few would want to deal with a player who physically could only do 8 minutes or so, unless they think a year off would change that.

-7e3c61deb2b3bf9b.jpg

Not sure where you guys are getting that Moore played so little because he was physically unable to play more. He played so little because Manning only wanted 1 non-3-point shooter in the game at a time.

Moore played 20 and 19 minutes in consecutive games and had fantastic numbers. Who cares if he is tired so long as he is playing great.

Did we ever have any 3 point shooters in at any time?

Not sure where you guys are getting that Moore played so little because he was physically unable to play more. He played so little because Manning only wanted 1 non-3-point shooter in the game at a time.

Moore played 20 and 19 minutes in consecutive games and had fantastic numbers. Who cares if he is tired so long as he is playing great.

If you watched those games closely, you would have seen that Moore did play well the first four or so minutes he was in, then had a hard time making the end to end trip transition O/D/O. And he was asking to come out. He also was a lot less effective near the end of his stints.

I expect Doral to get 20 minutes a game next year without fatigue being a big issue. I think by the end of the year 20 minutes was pretty doable for him - certainly wasn't early in the year (looked like he might collapse in the Vandy/UCLA back-to-back games). I'd guess part of why he didn't get minutes was because in addition to Devin playing well, he's the polar opposite to Devin at the 5. You could tell the team didn't really know how to play with him on the floor - too many alley-oop attempts, forcing it to him in the post, he didn't rebound like Devin so we'd give up a lot of offensive boards. At the same time the freshmen were figuring it out later in the season and when he got a start he looked great - even if it was against a team my high school team would have crushed. Still think Doral can someday put up numbers like Devin did this year - but on a winning team.

I think Manning will start the year with Crawford, Wilbekin, McClinton, Dinos and Moore as starters. Collins will provide depth up front and Woods on the perimeter. The freshmen will be eased into the rotation during the OOC schedule based on their performance. It seems silly to complain about the quality of the incoming freshmen class and then expect them to be major contributors. I don't have any hope for a quality offensive grad transfer. Why would they choose to join a 20 loss team? A quality defensive player might be possible and if he had leadership qualities would probably be of greater benefit.

Back