• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Remember that SC tranfer KJ Brent is a one and done. I think we only have 80 scholarship guys on the roster right now, so we're short of the max to begin with.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, KJ Brent - The dude with 14 catches in three years at USC who's going to light up the ACC next year.

Newman looks to throw the ball much better than Sousa but is listed at 4.87. Remember it is 2A North Carolina football on the film so is he fast or is the competition slow? I would be willing to bet Hinton and Wolford are faster and more natural runners than Newman. QB recruiting is such a crapshoot and it is risky with kids committing before their senior years. Personally I hope Wolford continues to improve. I am biased but the kid is a winner.

Newman played against a number of 3-A schools and at least one 4-A. He's a top flight athlete.

Remember that SC tranfer KJ Brent is a one and done. I think we only have 80 scholarship guys on the roster right now, so we're short of the max to begin with.

I have us at 85 now for 2015. We had 2 extras after the 2015 class was announced and added another when DaiQuan Lawrence left. The 3 scholarships went to KJ Brent and former walk-ons PJ Howard and Grant Dawson.

2015 Seniors (7): DT Harris, P Kinal, LB Chubb, OL Intemann, Rover H. Williams, WR Howard and WR Brent

Last edited:
Jamie is a big boy and he is a dual threat more like a cam newton than RG3 or Marcus Mariota. He isn't going to out run many DBs, but he can absolutely get you 5 yards on the zone read or QB power runs.

I agree with the comments about pumping the brakes on the stats or watching the video since he plays 2A in NC. I also agree that he is a raw talent with a slightly unconventional throwing motion. Nevertheless, i think he has all of the tools to be a ACC level QB and will start many games for us.

I haven't seen any of the elite11 coverage yet, but if he ripped it up there, let's hope he doesn't explode and move up to 4/5 star.

I have broadcast several Jamie Newman games and what really impresses is his leadership...Great QB, great kid...So happy to see he is a Deac !!!

While I get the comparison, it is a little funny that when we land a big commitment the immediate reaction is to compare him to some of the biggest recruiting busts in recent memory. So how does Jamie Newman stack up against CJ Leak?
I want to know how he stacks up against Riley Skinner.

I have us at 85 now for 2015. We had 2 extras after the 2015 class was announced and added another when DaiQuan Lawrence left. The 3 scholarships went to KJ Brent and former walk-ons PJ Howard and Grant Dawson.

2015 Seniors (7): DT Harris, P Kinal, LB Chubb, OL Intemann, Rover H. Williams, WR Howard and WR Brent

Glad to hear that the walk-ons are being taken care of. Suggs looks to be the only Jr who'll be on the bench, so that might be the only 'ship from a grad and go guy.

Newman, Nash, and Suhren all commit and are immediately listed on Rivals...Johnny Ray 'commits' and has yet to show up. Will he receive a scholarship, be a preferred walk-on or what? Does anyone have any solid information on Mr. Ray. Thanks and Go Deacs!

Newman, Nash, and Suhren all commit and are immediately listed on Rivals...Johnny Ray 'commits' and has yet to show up. Will he receive a scholarship, be a preferred walk-on or what? Does anyone have any solid information on Mr. Ray. Thanks and Go Deacs!

Scholarship. I believe that Rivals is in the process of adding him.

Recruiting territory is one of my favorite topics on this thread. PhDeac is correct. Clawson said that he was targeting 2/3 of his recruits from a primary recruiting territory that was redrawn for 2016. Based on what I have seen, I think that primary territory runs from Baltimore to Jacksonville.

As the cycle went on it became apparent that there were clusters of offers in 3 other areas: Cincinnati, the New Jersey private schools outside New York, and the I-4 corridor in Florida from Orlando to Tampa. I consider these to be secondary recruiting territories for Wake.

Of the 60+ players on my list, there are 3 recruits plus one commit (Je'Vionte Nash) from Jacksonville, 3 recruits from the Orlando area and 2 recruits from the Tampa area.

The days of actively recruiting South Florida and Texas seem to be over. In my opinion, the only way that we see a commit from those areas would be if the staff follow up on a specific referral, or a recruit initiates contact with the staff (especially if someone is looking to visit or camp at Wake).

94 - I sent you PM the other day; just following up since I haven't heard back. Hit me back when you get a second.

He is a three star recruit on 247.

EVERYONE is at least a 3-star on 247. Not literally...but almost. They are the website of choice if you want to convince yourself that your entire recruiting class was at least a 3-star.

No love for them, but Ray is a 85 which is higher than our other recruits except Newman.

Top 16 or so in South Carolina should be able to play-

Top 16 or so in SC should be much less under the radar, you would think.

Back