• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Brown is another in-state receiver that Wake offered a long time ago. He has been on campus a number of times. The key with Brown, in my opinion, is getting a WR with a strong track background. It didn't happen last year for whatever reason. Brown has that background. He was initially very interested in UNC but the offer didn't come. UVA came in recently with an offer but I think that Wake had a very well-developed relationship with Brown by then.

I think we are all ready to see more pure speed at the WR position. Here it is.

Not a surprise commit at all.

Is it weird/normal that his primary recruiter was our Secondary coach?

Pretty sure our staff recruits by region just as Grobe's staff did.

I noticed UNCCH released their new uniforms for 15'-16'. Do we plan on changing our nike stock template jerseys anytime soon? I don't really care but 16 year old recruits do. If I remember correctly, a year or two ago we were voted as one of the top 10 schools most in need of new unis.

There will be some modifications to the uniform, but they will not be major.

Pretty sure our staff recruits by region just as Grobe's staff did.

They do, but the position coaches are also heavily involved. The specific regional assignments (as I understand them) are on the OP in this thread. I have heard Clawson say that every member of his staff is assigned a portion of North Carolina. That was last year but I assume is still the case. I think Coach Belin has a bigger share of N.C. than the others.

At the signing day event Clawson said that recruiting decisions require 4 layers of approval: first the recruiter for that region, then the position coach, then the coordinator, then the head coach.

Chazz Surratt to Duke. A few weeks ago this would have been a surprise, but since then it became clear he would end up there. 4-star. #11 dual-threat QB in the country. #11 player in North Carolina.

Jeremiah's a good kid. His strengths are his size and route running.

I was surprised to see him as a 4.5 guy on 247 - I am believe he is more of a quarter-mile runner than a 100/200 guy.

Jeremiah's a good kid. His strengths are his size and route running.

I was surprised to see him as a 4.5 guy on 247 - I am believe he is more of a quarter-mile runner than a 100/200 guy.

Yeah you're right about not being a 100/200 guy. I might have jumped to that conclusion. I just looked it up. He was third in the 300m (35.39) at the 4A indoor state championships in February. At last year's outdoor state meet he was 4th in the 400 (49.39). Still an impressive track background though.

At this rate of us signing players, isn't it likely that we have too many commits and are forced to do what Louisville did to Matt Colburn?

At this rate of us signing players, isn't it likely that we have too many commits and are forced to do what Louisville did to Matt Colburn?

Our staff will NOT oversign. Some of that is my personal opinion. Some is inferred from comments made on NSD last year. The majority of ACC programs will not do that.

The staff likely has a budget for 5th year scholarships that they are willing to give for 2016. It will be less than the number of players in that class. They may also know of some players leaving the program this summer. They know their number and won't exceed it.

It will be a smaller class. Maybe 14-16, but no need to worry about oversigning.

As to oversigning...I spoke with Clawson about that at the Recruiting Luncheon. To my surprise, he didn't condemn the practice as much as I thought he would. He noted the fact that it's a two way street. What some of these coaches are doing, so are the players. (In other words, hedging their bets.)

He also said that he has never been in a situation where he oversigned and hopes never to be.

Chazz Surratt to Duke. A few weeks ago this would have been a surprise, but since then it became clear he would end up there. 4-star. #11 dual-threat QB in the country. #11 player in North Carolina.

Pronounced "chase"

Back