• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

If there are 14 scholarships: RB, WR, APB or slot receiver, TE, DL and 3 DBs.

If there are more scholarships: 2nd TE or 3rd OL would be my guess.

No position is receiving more attention right now than TE.

That sounds about right. As for a TE, are we looking for an H or a Y?

Is there any chance to land Danny Dalton, TE out of Massachusetts? Seems to be a Penn State lean?

WEEKLY WRAP-UP

Changes to my Board

Additions

DE Chase Pine (Bealeton, VA) – New offer this week. Already had P5 offers from Cal, N.C. State, Pitt, Syracuse and Virginia. Most of his offers have come in April.

TE Ray Marten (Brooklyn, NY) – New offer this week. #4 overall recruit in New York. HS teammate with Big Board LB Elias Reynolds. Other P5 offers from Syracuse, Rutgers and Boston College.

ATH Malik Grate (Pendleton, SC) – New offer this week. 2-star. First P5 offer. Started getting recruiting traction this month. Georgia Tech invited him to their spring game. Coach Elko and another Wake coach visited him on the first day of the spring evaluation period. Clemson plans to visit him soon. Clemson is evaluating him as a CB and Wake Forest is recruiting him as an ATH. He won the S.C. 2A track titles at both 200m and 400m.

Removed

WR Jalen Elliott (Chesterfield, VA) – Still uncommitted, but he had already been a longshot IMO and this week added offers from Miami and Auburn.

WR Donald Stewart (Paramus, NJ) – Several more Crystal Balls for Michigan, plus some other signs pointing to the fact that Wake is not in contention.

QBs Skylar Thompson/Peyton Ramsey/David Moore/Anthony Brown – Removed because of the Jamie Newman commitment to Wake Forest. Note that shortly after Newman committed to Wake, Peyton Ramsey committed to Indiana and David Moore committed to SMU. An interesting note that Skylar Thompson is claiming that Wake Forest gave him an opportunity to commit in front of Newman but they weren’t able to connect with the Wake Forest coaching staff before Newman committed and he wasn’t ready to pull the trigger that quickly anyways. Who knows how much of that is accurate and how much is posturing.

Other Notes

I realize that we just finished QB recruiting for the 2016 cycle but…….Wake Forest offered 2017 QB Tanner Morgan (Union, KY) last week. It was his first offer and his excitement has been apparent in both tweets (i.e. he tweeted that he wants to go out and buy some Wake gear) and quotes in articles. He has visited Wake Forest and Coach R watched him throw earlier this spring. Through his freshman and sophomore years he has 4,990 yards passing and a 56/13 TD/INT ratio. I don’t know what chance Wake will end up having, but whatever those chances are I believe they were doubled by getting the first offer in.

There is a small group of visitors at Wake Forest this weekend. OL Taleni Suhren is there. So is WR Tahj Deans (more info coming in the next post) and an all-purpose back from Kentucky named Quinton Baker (not yet offered). I am glad that Suhren is visiting and further developing his relationships with the staff and players. He is a key guy in this class (in my opinion).

It is interesting to note that, even with more scholarships available in last year’s class, Wake had only 1 commit at this time last year.

It looks like Clemson is going through the approval process for a new jet that they can dedicate to recruiting. http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article19183209.html. Apparently there are too many other demands for their turboprop plane and they need a jet that can be solely dedicated to recruiting. IPTAY has set aside $4.5 million in donor money to make the purchase. I guess there was money left over after their $62 million football operations center.

Those who follow the Rivals team ranking will note that Duke has the #9 class in the country so far this year. Some of that is driven by the fact that they have 10 commits already. Fortunately the Duke program doesn’t have a lot of turnover so most years they won’t have 20 commits. The Rivals formula will penalize them for that.

After the watching the meteoric rise of some of these recruits once their name gets out there, the question must be asked about whether the same would have eventually happened to DE Johnny Ray if he hadn’t committed early.

Jamie Newman moved up the rankings published by a recruiting website called QBHitList.com. I only read the website because I know that the publisher is given access to all of the Elite 11 camps during the year and he publishes reviews. His rankings are often dramatically different from mainstream websites, so I’ve been skeptical - figuring it had something to do with who registered themselves with his website. However, it is worth noting this week that he moved Jamie Newman up to a 4-star and the #11 overall dual threat QB in the country. He also likes Skylar Thompson (#7 Pro-Style QB) and David Moore (#9 dual threat QB). Last year he rated Kyle Kearns as the #24 pro-style QB and Kendall Hinton as the #33 pro-style QB.

Here is a quote on Jamie Newman from Bleacher Report’s review of Elite 11-Washington: “This big-framed playmaker has plenty of physical attributes that shine. Jamie Newman doesn’t need much space to squeeze the football into tight frames, flashing formidable arm strength. He can sling it 40 yards downfield without sacrificing substantial velocity and displayed quality vision during different phases of each play….Newman looks like a load to bring down in the backfield and can create plays with his legs.” While on the topic of Newman, this short Elite 11 video is worth watching just for the 10 seconds that they show Newman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZB4SghoZ9g

I have been reluctant to add 4-star CB Wayne Davis (Norfolk, VA) to my Board even though he has visited Wake Forest and has Wake in his top 4. The reason? The other 3 schools are Ohio State, Michigan and Virginia Tech. However I am starting to pay more attention now after reading two different reports that his stock may be slipping a bit. On the other hand he has picked up new offers from Nebraska and Miami just this month. One interesting note on Davis: while many recruits are passing on camps like Rivals and Nike, he actually pulled double-duty and attended both Rivals-Richmond and Rivals-Charlotte in the same weekend. That meant he had to get up at 2am after competing in Richmond to travel to Charlotte. Apparently he loves the competition.

I thought I would try something different this week. I put together a “HOT BOARD”, which is basically a subset of players on my main list that have been the most linked to Wake Forest. That linkage could come from website articles, # of visits, from Twitter activity or a combination of all 3. I am confident that this list has many of Wake’s top targets, although I am just as confident that I am missing some - especially those that aren’t big Twitter users.

Deac94’s HOT BOARD

RB Cade Carney (Davidson, NC)
Rating: 3-star / #40 overall recruit in North Carolina
P5 Offers: Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, UNC and N.C. State
Notes: Wake seems to be very interested. The question is who the competition might be. Carney hasn’t exactly been a hot commodity on the recruiting scene lately. Other than offers from ECU and Georgia Tech in June 2014, Carney hasn’t picked up a new offer at any level since July 2013. I read that Georgia Tech has completely pulled out of his recruitment. He might eventually get a spot in UNC’s class, but it’s a longshot. My guess is that that his options right now are 1) Wake as a RB, 2) ECU as a LB (note: some ECU websites are confident about their chances and he has some family connections to the school) or 3) hit the summer camp circuit in hopes of improving his stock. I was surprised that he cancelled some planned appearances at Nike and Rivals Camps in Charlotte and Atlanta. He is planning on participating in the Nike-Charlotte camp. Note that Tom Lemming recently rated him as a 4-star noting his ability to run, catch and block.

WR Tahj Deans (Bailey, NC)
Rating: Unrated
P5 offers: Wake Forest and Virginia Tech
Notes: A relatively recent offer from Wake Forest (March 20), Deans appears to have risen quickly as an option for Wake. He may decide soon between Wake Forest and ECU. Virginia Tech does not seem to be actively involved and I’m not confident that he has an offer there. Deans visited Wake Forest for a spring practice and plans to return to Wake this weekend.

APB/Slot Moe Neal (Gastonia, NC)
Rating: 3-star / #8 APB in the country / #22 overall recruit in N.C.
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, N.C. State, Syracuse and West Virginia
Notes: A top target for Wake since last summer. I am betting that Neal has options other than Wake but there hasn’t been a lot of info lately to provide visibility. The most recent info seemed to indicate that Duke and Mississippi State might be the most heavily involved with Syracuse and Boston College also possible. Neal’s stock has cooled off somewhat but he is still adding offers. West Virginia, App State, Furman, Temple and Elon have all offered him since the end of his junior season. West Virginia was his first P5 offer since July 2014.

RB/APB/Slot Jordon Brown (Durham, NC)
Rating: 4-star / #4 all-purpose back in the country / #9 overall recruit in the country
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Boston College, Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State and West Virginia
Notes: I continue to think that he ends up at either UNC or Wake Forest. Duke is probably the only other school in contention. I have read that UNC is very confident. He has been a very frequent visitor to Chapel Hill and grew up as a big UNC fan.

SLOT Jaquarius “Q” Bargnare (Orlando, FL)
Rating: Unrated. (Note: Top 600 overall recruit in the country according to rankbyoffers.com. #10 overall in Central Florida for the 2016 class by Orlando Sentinel)
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Purdue and West Virginia (note: also has 12 non-P5 offers)
Notes: An article said recently that West Virginia and Wake Forest were “among” his early favorites. Built like a running back, but measures only 5’9 or 5’10. Has a 3.6 GPA and wants to major in business. Is academically motivated and will likely weigh the academic quality of the school more heavily than the vast majority of recruits. Has a Yale offer. Reportedly has a 1670 on the SAT (reading/math combo of 1180).

SLOT Darion Slade (Clemmons, NC)
Rating: 3-star / #37 overall recruit in North Carolina
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Duke and West Virginia
Notes: Similar to Cade Carney, Slade hasn’t been a hot name lately. He has not received a new offer since Wake Forest gave him one in May 2014. Duke is no longer involved. This is potentially a matchup between Wake Forest and West Virginia. There are conflicting reports about West Virginia’s interest level.

TE Robert Tucker (Atlanta, GA)
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Louisville, N.C. State and Syracuse
Notes: He visited for Junior Day and the first scrimmage. Recently named Wake Forest as his leader. In doing so he made some of most positive comments that I have seen from an uncommitted prospect. There is no doubt that he likes Wake Forest. He was the subject of the following Scheier tweet: “Gr8 hanging w/1 of the BEST TEs from The ATL @ Zicks 2nite. Pizza, wings & a lesson on the pool table. U will learn more than just football!”. He lists N.C. State as being another school in contention, and it is no secret that he wants an offer from Georgia and/or Auburn. He visited Auburn in early-March.

OL Tremayne Anchrum (Powder Springs, GA)
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Georgia, Nebraska, Arizona State, Boston College, Colorado and Syracuse
Notes: I could have taken him off the Board when Georgia offered but he visited Wake Forest for a second time shortly after they offered so I kept him on. Since then I have read that Georgia only has one OL spot left and Anchrum may not be their first choice to fill that spot. Some think that his offer list is going to continue to blow up, while others think he may be too small in the eyes of the very elite programs.

DE Zander Zimmer (Orlando, FL)
Rating: Unrated (note: #137 overall recruit and #15 DE in the country according to Rankbyoffers.com)
P5 offers: 12 total, including 6 ACC schools and other academic schools like Northwestern and Vanderbilt.
Notes: Wake was his first P5 offer on February 15. Since then he has caught fire on the recruiting scene. He’s now up to 27 total offers. He has visited Wake Forest twice this year. He has also tweeted mailings from Wake (i.e. the SI poster and the ESPN 30-for-30 puzzle). I’m surprised that there haven’t been more articles written about him given all of the offers. A month ago he was reportedly favoring Wake Forest and West Virginia but he has added several offers since then. The 247 Crystal Ball still favors Wake Forest – reflecting the prediction that was entered when Wake was his only P5 offer.

DL Michael Dwumfour (Wayne, NJ)
P5 offers: Wake Forest and Boston College (note: also has 5 non-P5 offers)
Notes: One of a small number of recruits to receive a Wake Forest offer during the 2nd junior day. He made some very comments about Wake in a Scout article. Recently named one of the top defensive performers at Rivals-New Jersey. Says he is versatile enough to play any of the DL positions. Only played a partial HS season last year after having to sit out 4 games due to rules governing transfers. I have read that his height (6’0) might be the only thing holding him back from bigger offers. Has tweeted about Wake Forest several times. Boston College may have an advantage because they are closer to home for Dwumfour. Penn State is very involved and is the wildcard right now. He thinks they will offer during the spring eval period. Home state Rutgers might also be a factor if they offer.

DT Sulaiman Kamara (Richmond, VA)
Rating: 3-star / #24 defensive tackle in the country / #11 overall recruit in Virginia
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Penn State, Duke, North Carolina and Virginia.
Notes: As a fan, I really like Kamara. Big personality (you should definitely watch this free Scout interview: http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1.../story/1540314-kamara-feels-wanted-by-deacons) and great reviews from his camp performances this spring. One review that I read said that he brought more energy and intensity to the one-on-one drills than any other lineman. Wake may ultimately need a spot or two at other schools to close in order to get him, but who cares…I really like him. He has mentioned Wake on several occasions as the team recruiting him the hardest. He came to Wake’s Elite Junior Day. If you listen to the interview linked above you will agree than Wake is right in this one. Kudos to whichever coach is his primary recruiter.

S Traveon Redd (Ridgeway, VA)
Rating: 3-star / #27 overall recruit in Virginia (note: Top 500 overall recruit according to Rankbyoffers.com)
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Illinois, Indiana, Vanderbilt and West Virginia
Notes: Has visited Wake Forest twice. Wake Forest was his first P5 offer (during Elite Junior Day). Recently named one of the top defensive performers at Rivals-Richmond. Right now this looks like a 3-way battle between Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and West Virginia.

S Jaqui (JJ) Givens (Mechanicsville, VA)
Rating: 3-star / #31 safety in the country / #13 overall recruit in Virginia
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Michigan, Michigan State, Arizona State, UNC, Duke, Oklahoma, N.C. State, plus 5 others
Notes: Givens may be somewhat of a longshot for Wake, but he absolutely belongs on the list. He has visited twice this year. He has retweeted Wake-related tweets on several occasions. He was recently quoted saying that Wake would be on his list right up until the end. His recent top 4 included Wake Forest along with Michigan State, Michigan and Arizona State. Since then he has picked up an offer from UNC. Someone on 247 Crystal Balled Givens to UNC immediately after he was offered.

CB Sir Patrick Scott (Upper Marlboro, MD)
Rating: 3-star / #24 overall recruit in Maryland (note: Top 500 overall recruit according to Rankbyoffers.com)
P5 offers: Wake Forest, Boston College, Cal, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan State, NC State, Pitt, Washington State and Wisconsin
Notes: As of late March, Wake Forest was the only school that he had visited out of those that had offered. He had great things to say about Wake Forest and in two different articles indicated that Wake was topping his list. In mid-April he said that Wake Forest and Penn State (no offer) were recruiting him the hardest.

Others That I Considered:

TE Noah Davis (Cincinnati, OH) – 10 P5 offers. I think that Wake Forest and Boston College might be the early leaders. Michigan State is very interested and would immediately become the favorite if they offer. Davis is visiting Michigan State this weekend. Not a big Twitter guy, so he is tough to get a good read on.

TE Sam Letton (Marietta, GA) – 5 P5 offers. A very recent visitor.

TE Brandon Chapman (Columbus, OH) – 2 P5 offers. Has visited Wake and had one of the most positive tweets about Wake that I have seen this year.

OL Stephen Spanellis (Baltimore, MD) – 9 P5 offers. A promising article in March. Since then his recruitment has been very quiet. Also not a big Twitter guy.

OL Jesse Meyler (Alexandria, VA) – 9 P5 offers. Had Wake Forest in his early top 4. Visited Wake over spring break. Since then he has caught fire again with offers adding Wisconsin, Virginia and Boston College over the last week. I think he will end up at a higher-end academic school.

DE Nolan DeFranco (Winter Garden, FL) – 3 P5 offers

LB Elysee Mbem-Bosse (Ellenwood, GA) - very high-end offer sheet. Has visited Wake Forest twice this year.

Last edited:
Wow. Great work, 94.

I thought I would try something different this week. I put together a “HOT BOARD”, which is basically a subset of players on my main list that have been the most linked to Wake Forest. That linkage could come from website articles, # of visits, from Twitter activity or a combination of all 3. I am confident that this list has many of Wake’s top targets, although I am just as confident that I am missing some - especially those that aren’t big Twitter users.

Deac94’s HOT BOARD

RB Cade Carney (Davidson, NC)
Rating: 3-star / #40 overall recruit in North Carolina
P5 Offers: Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, UNC and N.C. State
Notes: Wake seems to be very interested. The question is who the competition might be. Carney hasn’t exactly been a hot commodity on the recruiting scene lately. Other than offers from ECU and Georgia Tech in June 2014, Carney hasn’t picked up a new offer at any level since July 2013. I read that Georgia Tech has completely pulled out of his recruitment. He might eventually get a spot in UNC’s class, but it’s a longshot. My guess is that that his options right now are 1) Wake as a RB, 2) ECU as a LB (note: some ECU websites are confident about their chances and he has some family connections to the school) or 3) hit the summer camp circuit in hopes of improving his stock. I was surprised that he cancelled some planned appearances at Nike and Rivals Camps in Charlotte and Atlanta. He is planning on participating in the Nike-Charlotte camp. Note that Tom Lemming recently rated him as a 4-star noting his ability to run, catch and block.

Cade Carney plays for Davidson Day, coached by Chad Grier (former ECU QB and father of FL QB Will Grier).

Cade Carney plays for Davidson Day, coached by Chad Grier (former ECU QB and father of FL QB Will Grier).

Carney's dad also played at ECU.

I think Cade realizes that he has an opportunity though. Don't think he'll waste it. With GT out of the running, I really like Wake's chances. He's a football player. I don't know if he's a RB.

In a big upset - and confusing announcement - top RB Robert Washington picks Syracuse over a host of top programs. The natural speculation will be that there is package deal with Moe Neal.

In a big upset - and confusing announcement - top RB Robert Washington picks Syracuse over a host of top programs. The natural speculation will be that there is package deal with Moe Neal.

Why is that?

That kid is a drama queen. Expect that "commitment" to change multiple times.

They're both from Gastonia, NC. Different high schools, but likely friends.

Gotcha, I was under the impression that Washington was from Huntersville, so was curious if they had met/become friends in some other way.

Why is that?

From what I have read Neal and Washington are very close. Whenever I read about Moe Neal taking an unofficial visit somewhere it was always with Washington (including their visit to Syracuse). They've been quoted saying they wanted to play together but I didn't think it was going to happen because their offer sheets didn't seem to have many schools that overlapped. I didn't envision Washington ending up at Syracuse.

Is there any chance to land Danny Dalton, TE out of Massachusetts? Seems to be a Penn State lean?

I looked him up. Alabama and Penn State are the favorites to land him.

That kid is a drama queen. Expect that "commitment" to change multiple times.

He said in his post-commitment interview that he plans to take all 5 official visits. He says that taking OVs is "part of the process"

Back