• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Clawson has hit the jackpot at QB and RB since he has arrived at WFU. Give him credit for that at least.

Given the absence of line and running game, I think Wolford did remarkably well. RBs are hopeful but unproven.

we don't know if Clawson can ID shit. in what we know is a small, but important class there are some serious question marks right now

It may not be that unique but he seems adept at offering guys early that go on to garner interest from blue chip programs. 94 can give more specifics.

the dude has been successful at all stops before us. he can identify talent.

if the administration wont tie his hands behind his back he can be successful.

Last edited:
Given the absence of line and running game, I think Wolford did remarkably well. RBs are hopeful but unproven.

Wolford was fine given the impossible situation he was dropped in, but Grobe offered him a month before he was fired. RB you have Robinson from '14 (meh) and Reid and Colburn from '15 who were both castoffs (Tennessee and Louisville). I do think Reid will be a good player

the dude has been successful at all stops before us. he can identify talent.

if the administration wont tie his hands behind his back he can be successful.

as a HC in shit leagues, sure. but his only P5 years ('08 Tennessee '14 WFU) were disasters.

It may not be that unique but he seems adept at offering guys early that go on to garner interest from blue chip programs. 94 can give more specifics.

this is a good example of ID'ing talent but kind of lame, wgaf who offers first.

Grobe offered Wolford but Clawson had to close the deal. I hope these running backs are good. It has been too long since Wake had a consistent threat at RB.

The bigger test will be Clawson's ability to build an offensive line.

Grobe offered Wolford but Clawson had to close the deal. I hope these running backs are good. It has been too long since Wake had a consistent threat at RB.

The bigger test will be Clawson's ability to build an offensive line.

That is the key to success. The Claw's best coaching work was keeping the team moving forward through the 2 months without a win (6 loses, 2 byes) to beat VT for the first time in 31 years. Other teams might have already packed it in.

Last edited:
^Seconded on both accounts. Wonder what happens if we don't land Cole or Redd. Does a guy like Jacquez Williams switch over to S to provide depth? Will be interesting to follow

Good point, but I will be very surprised if we end up without either Redd or Cole. The big unknown is what other options Cole really has right now. If Wake misses out on both I imagine they go to the top performer from the June/July camps. 3-star Anthony Womack has been to Junior Day and camped in June. That is one possibility. He still hasn't received a P5 offer.

We don't really have clarity on Jacquez Williams' position other than he could play safety or rover. Rover has been my speculation - and I still think it is a good guess - however he could already been pencilled in at safety. The staff could also be dead set on taking two.

I wanted to note that I really like the balanced discussion on this thread.

If you think that Clawson’s classes have been solid class from top to bottom, there aren’t really objective measures to support that. You are pretty much basing that on faith (and hope) alone. But there’s nothing wrong with that. I think there are plenty of reasons to have faith in this staff.

If you are a skeptic I can understand that perspective as well and I’m glad it’s being voiced in this thread. The offer sheets and ratings of a number of recruits have been weak. It’s been that way for every one of Clawson’s classes at Wake. Certainly not a new development with the 2016 class.

For those in the faith/hope camp, I would continue to note the following:

1. I can assure you that Clawson and Co are dead serious about the importance of recruiting and how precious each and every scholarship is when you are trying to rebuild a program.

2. One my learnings from following recruiting from the very beginning this year is how heavily influenced ratings are by offer sheets. It was both comical and frustrating how the rating services waited until offer sheets had completely filled out before moving a recruit from “unrated”. Offer sheets in turn are heavily influenced by the strength of a recruit’s film (and the recruits with the truly great film will get discovered) but also by how much time a recruit spends on the road taking unofficial visits and attending camps over a number of years. I think you can easily have a scenario where one recruit is active on the camp/visit front and ends up with 5-8 P5 offers and an identical recruit from a film/talent standpoint ends up with none. I continue to think that ratings and offer sheets are useful, but I've they are more flawed then I realized.

3. Phil Haynes was one of the biggest under-the-radar recruits that Clawson has taken to date. It is a very valid point that he hasn’t proven anyting on the field yet, but the fact that he had already moved ahead of Will Smith during spring practice is a positive (albeit very early) development.

4. As some of you mentioned yesterday I was struck this winter by how many times Wake would offer a guy that was unrated and had 0-1 P5 offers. Sometimes you couldn’t even find any mention of them via a google search. I would estimate that within 4-5 weeks 75% of those recruits had 6-12 more P5 offers. A handful of them are now in the Rivals 250. That says that our coaching staff ID’s talent the exact same way that the most elite programs do (come to think of it, I suppose that might be both a blessing and a curse).

Kamara and Jordon Brown are turning into big targets for UNC fans. Anxiety is also building over there that they might lose Brown to Wake. He's been their #1 RB target from Day 1.

We already won the head-to-head for Cade Carney. It will be interesting to see how these last two possible head-to-heads with the Heels end up.

I want Brown a lot, but if he commits we have a lot of schollys tied up in underclassmen RB's. Reid, Colburn, Bell, Carney, Wakefield, Brown. I guess you can never have enough playmakers and the assumption is at least 2 of them are going to be studs. Also Wakefield might come in and play on the defensive side of the ball

Kamara and Brown would make this a great class!

On paper, best way to judge any class is 2-3 years down the road but I think all of us feel the increased excitement that Clawson has developed in the program. Now his task becomes showing it on the field

I want Brown a lot, but if he commits we have a lot of schollys tied up in underclassmen RB's. Reid, Colburn, Bell, Carney, Wakefield, Brown. I guess you can never have enough playmakers and the assumption is at least 2 of them are going to be studs. Also Wakefield might come in and play on the defensive side of the ball

Yep. And transfers are inevitable as well. We need talent. If one position happens to have a lot of it, that's a good problem. I'd rather take another stud RB than fill a slot at another position.

Back