• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Why would a one and done prospect play football in college? Why would a football coach give a scholarship to a one and done basketball prospect? Usually it works the other way which makes more sense for the calendar.

Friday Night Lights camp is tonight. So far the only recruits tweeting about it are from the 2017 class. There was a report that DT Sulaiman Kamara would be visiting today. Hopefully we get some kind of confirmation on that today. Kamara’s Twitter account hasn’t had any activity since April so getting confirmation may be a challenge.

Moe Neal started his Syracuse visit yesterday. I’m not sure how long his visit will last.

There have been some new Phil Patterson articles recently, but no mention of a Wake Forest visit before his August 1 decision. He is visiting Tennessee today and is prioritizing a return trip to UNC. It sounds like other visits may get added though.

Georgia has taken some OL commits/transfers and that has reportedly lessened the chances that Tremayne Anchrum ends up there. That situation has been fluid for months though. I need to research Clemson’s OL priorities. I read they still have 3 OL spots available and have an offer outstanding to Anchrum. They also recruited Taleni Suhren last fall/winter (no offer) and I noticed that another Clemson coach started following Suhren on Twitter this week.

The Vanderbilt writer that has been so confident that they will land Traveon Redd is now acknowledging that Wake is in the race. He’s also reporting that Vanderbilt has a backup plan in place. I think most of the Redd-to-Vandy speculation revolves around Redd’s planned multiple night visit with his entire family starting on July 24. He has been quoted as saying that the visit is to determine whether or not that is where he wants to spend the next four years (which is actually a pretty neutral statement in my view).

Overall my impression is that Wake’s chances are improving with a number of targets. It is an interesting time. The few recruits left on the Board have fewer options than they did last month because so many spots have filled up at so many schools. The challenge now is trying to figure out who Wake is prioritizing and how many we have room for.

Great news, 94!

I can't see Clawson giving him a scholarship then. Not with the oversized class as it is and other positions of need

If scholarships were available and the talent warranted, a one and done would not be costly to FB. Mainly it would be a service to BB with it's fewer scholarships and more candidates.

Why would a one and done prospect play football in college? Why would a football coach give a scholarship to a one and done basketball prospect? Usually it works the other way which makes more sense for the calendar.

Yea I don't see any way that happens. He (and the people around him) have to see the financial ramifications a bad injury in Football would mean to his basketball career. Just wouldn't make any logical sense.

Yea I don't see any way that happens. He (and the people around him) have to see the financial ramifications a bad injury in Football would mean to his basketball career. Just wouldn't make any logical sense.

I agree. Why would a 1 & done BB talent even think of playing FB?

Not the way it works. If he comes, he is on a football scholarship. If you play football, you are on a football scholarship. If you play basketball and play any sport other than football, you are on a basketball scholarship.

That's what I thought. However, if he thought he possibly might not be a 'one-and-done' so takes a BB 'ship. Then -he is not O&D after season, goes out for FB spring practice, makes FB team. Does his 'ship switch to FB?

That's what I thought. However, if he thought he possibly might not be a 'one-and-done' so takes a BB 'ship. Then -he is not O&D after season, goes out for FB spring practice, makes FB team. Does his 'ship switch to FB?

Yes

A solid tweet from Scheier deserves some discussion:

"Adam Scheier @CoachScheier
Exciting that some of the final bricks in this Championship Program we are building will be on campus this weekend."

"Some of the final bricks"....is that referring to Kamara and Moore? Or will there be others?

The tweet itself is cool. Similar to the "brick-by-brick" theme that Tennessee is using on Twitter this year.

This seems like a very unlikely scenario. As others have said, that wouldn't make sense for anyone, except for basketball and basketball wouldn't be making the decision. If DS was good enough to play D1 as a freshman I think we would have heard about that, right? That would be the only scenario that would make sense for football. As noted, why risk injury in football with his basketball potential and why miss so much bball practice and 1st part of the season in bball bc you are still with fball if bball is your ticket.
Where did this rumor/idea come from?

BLUE SHIRT. never heard of this, but found it on a USC site. Clayton Johnston, a OT from Anaheim Ca, signed a Blue shirt offer on NSD so that USC could sign another player. He enrolls for the fall semester and receives his scholly on the second day of camp, pushing him out to the '16 class. The article doesn't say if he can practice, I doubt if he could. He could even redshirt in '16 and play '17-'20. http://reignoftroy.com/2015/02/04/clayton-johnston-signs-usc-blueshirt/

This seems like a very unlikely scenario. As others have said, that wouldn't make sense for anyone, except for basketball and basketball wouldn't be making the decision. If DS was good enough to play D1 as a freshman I think we would have heard about that, right? That would be the only scenario that would make sense for football. As noted, why risk injury in football with his basketball potential and why miss so much bball practice and 1st part of the season in bball bc you are still with fball if bball is your ticket.
Where did this rumor/idea come from?

A series of tweets from ESPN's Jeff Goodman

Interesting.

Blueshirting is an NCAA rule exception for oversigning that began at New Mexico State, which allows athletes to practically serve as early enrolling grayshirts, as long as the recruiting class is full.

They are eligible to both enroll and play during the initial fall semester following their high school graduation or junior college transfer, but are not counted as an incoming scholarship player until the following year’s recruiting class.

It’s a contrast from grayshirts, who are not permitted to enroll or play immediately out of high school.

The biggest distinction for blueshirts however, is that the rule interpretation mandates that the players in question are not recruited.

That is defined by the NCAA as not having any of the following: an official visit to the school, an in-home visit from the school’s coaching staff or a letter of intent issued for the student athlete to submit.
If neither of those have occurred, the player is eligible to be a blueshirt beginning the day after fall camp starts. At that point, he may be awarded a scholarship and counted forwarded to the next year’s recruiting class.

New Kamara article includes positive quotes about both UNC and Wake. Confirms that Penn State is done at DT unless they have a decommit. Kamara says he's targeting a midseason decision.

Moe Neal has set his decision date at August 1st. He has no additional visits planned but that could change. To my knowledge he hasn't visited Wake since February.

3 decision dates in a 2-day period: Traveon Redd on July 31st. Moe Neal on August 1st. Phil Patterson on August 1st. Similar to last year when JJ Arcega-Whiteside was July 31 and Freddie Simmons scheduled (and then cancelled) an August 1st decision.

No one too interesting has tweeted they are at Friday Night Lights. Here are the two most noteworthy so far:

Deandre Delaney (Morristown, TN) - RB is a tall power runner. Offers from Army, Southern Illinois and UT-Chattanooga. He camped at Wake in June so it is interesting that he is making a return appearance. Either the staff wanted to see him again because they are on the verge of offering, or they wanted to work him out as a LB.

Jeremiah Littles (Jesup, GA) - LB. Led the state of Georgia in tackles last season with 170+ including 19.5 tackles for loss. Elon and UT-Chattanooga have offered.

The new article confirmed that Sulaiman Kamara is visiting today.

He went home to rehab, right? Makes sense he transferred to the local university.

Back