• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

I know there are mixed feelings about the importance of in state recruiting but I think getting local recruits is important. Plus we beat out Duke. Awesome.

Shows pretty good hands in the slot in the highlight videos. Defs recruited as a running back or possibly as a slot receiver?

I think the correct answer is both. I know a few recruits have said that Wake Forest has talked to them about a role that is roughly 2/3 slot receiver and 1/3 change of pace type RB.

I think the correct answer is both. I know a few recruits have said that Wake Forest has talked to them about a role that is roughly 2/3 slot receiver and 1/3 change of pace type RB.

Beal is a game changer - he has good hands and break away speed but he isn't very big. He could play the Slot/RB position 94 is talking about - sort of like an every down slot / 3rd down RB player.

Beal is a game changer - he has good hands and break away speed but he isn't very big. He could play the Slot/RB position 94 is talking about - sort of like an every down slot / 3rd down RB player.

It will be 2 years before he even gets to Wake. He'll be bigger and stronger by then and hopefully a little faster.

He is just a rising junior in high school. He still has some time to grow.

I'm sure he will be 180 by the time he gets to Wake. And will be faster too, so not worried about size/speed issues.

That's awesome. I don't think we have to really worry about losing him. He seems dead-set on WF

549b6380589fb.image.jpg

eric-williams.jpg

I love to find the term "work ethic" in a kids evaluation. It's contagious to teammates and shows his desire to improve all of the time.

Plus, Harry Giles tweeted congrats to Christian Beal on his commitment. This could be the first of many dominoes to fall... Vibes...

News continues to come in at a slow pace. Here are a few items that I was able to scrape together in an effort to prevent the Harry Giles discussion from spilling over into the football recruiting thread:

DT Sulaiman Kamara reportedly will visit Wake on Friday. I would guess that he will be at the last Friday Night Lights event of the year, whether it is to participate or just walk the sidelines. Hopefully there wil be some current commits there to help in the recruiting effort.

APB Jordon Brown discussed his contenders. It sounds like it is a dead heat right now between Wake and UNC with South Carolina and Oklahoma State trailing. However, he will make a return trip to South Carolina and potentially Oklahoma State as well. Wake remains in frequent contact. His decision date is not clear, however I would probably set the over/under at late August.

LB Elysee Mbem-Bosse picked up another Crystal Ball prediction for Auburn. All 4 of his Crystal Balls are pointing towards the Tigers, mostly from national writers.

WR Phil Patterson will announce his decision on August 1. Unless he visits campus between now and then I think this will be a non-event for Wake.

APB Moe Neal will be at Syracuse on Thursday. Reading between the lines to some extent, I think his top 4 right now are Syracuse, Wake Forest, App State and Georgia Southern. I continue to be surprised at the lack of opportunities for all purpose backs. For example, Quinton Baker has almost identical Rivals rankings (5.6, #17 all-purpose back in the country) and combine results with Matt Colburn and yet he ended up not getting offered by Wake and committing to Marshall. Last year 5 of Rivals Top 20 all-purpose backs ended up at non P-5 schools (Fresno State, Northern Illinois, BYU, Western Michigan and Jacksonville State).

There in a recent video on Scout with recruiting analysts discussing OT Tremayne Anchrum. They point out how intelligent Anchrum is and acknowledge the possibility that he might choose an academic school over an established football power.

Safety Keyshawn Canady committed to ECU. I kept him on my Board since he attended Junior Day and reported a Wake offer, however I suspect that he was not a priority for the Deacs.

4-star CB Wayne Davis (VA) committed to Ohio State. I included him on the Board for several weeks after he put Wake in his top 5 before pulling him off when Wake fell out of contention.

RECAP OF WHAT I THINK WAKE HAS LEFT:

1 Safety Spot: Traveon Redd and Jarrett Cole are 1 and 1A on my list.
1 Defensive Tackle Spot: Sulamain Kamara with Jordan Jackson (no offer yet) possibly the backup plan
1 Best Player Available: Would be used if they could land LB Elysee Mbem-Bosse, OL Tremayne Anchrum or APB Jordon Brown. APB Moe Neal, CB Sir Patrick Scott and WR Phil Patterson (if he visits) are wildcards that may or may not still be in the picture.

RECAP OF WHERE THE SCHOLARSHIPS MIGHT COME FROM:
9 current openings
6 projected early graduations
2-3 more would have to come from roster attrition, decommits, or additional early graduations.

The Dead Period is over. The last camp for the 2016 class is Friday. Underclassman camp is Saturday (mostly for the 2017s and 2018s).

Last edited:
Thanks 94. Yeah...let's keep this a Giles-free thread (if possible).

^Seconded on both accounts. Wonder what happens if we don't land Cole or Redd. Does a guy like Jacquez Williams switch over to S to provide depth? Will be interesting to follow

Would love to land 2/4 from the following: Anchrum, Kamara, Brown, Scott

I also wouldn't mind losing Johnny Ray...personally, I don't think he'll ever suit up for Wake Forest. I have nothing on which to base my opinion about Mr. Ray; it's just an opinion.

Would love to land 2/4 from the following: Anchrum, Kamara, Brown, Scott

I also wouldn't mind losing Johnny Ray...personally, I don't think he'll ever suit up for Wake Forest. I have nothing on which to base my opinion about Mr. Ray; it's just an opinion.
Based on a dream or a gut feeling ? Don't like his name ?

I, for one, love his name. Other than that, at this point, I choose to trust that the staff is offering kids who can play.

Back