• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

He has outstanding inside moves and solid speed. Looks a bit like Barclay.

Agree.
Not breakaway speed, but good.
He sees the field well and has some great moves.
Summary......he knows how to find the hole and get yards.

This is the point in the recruiting cycle where we could see some noise on Twitter that is just that. Noise. Like we saw in January, kids could start listing offers that they don’t have in an effort to draw attention and get more schools to watch their film. I’ve noticed recruits claiming recent offers from schools that aren’t following them on Twitter. Others appear to be embellishing how much interest they are getting from a school. For example, I’ve seen a couple of recruits recently that are on the verge of committing to another school all of a sudden list Wake as a “finalist”. I think they are trying to make it look like they had more options than they really did. They may have had an offer from Wake early in the process, but they may have been a 3rd/4th/5th option – or a guy that the staff was just trying to lure to camp – and the staff has likely gone in a different direction long ago.

My approach for the rest of the summer/fall will be to follow the visits. It’s mid-August. Wake’s remaining targets have likely visited campus by now. If a recruit visited this summer with an offer in hand, or camped at Wake and got an offer, I think it is safe to assume he is a target. Those guys are listed in the OP. If he had an offer and didn’t bother to come to campus I’d guess that the staff has crossed him off the list (there was a Scheier tweet to that effect – although maybe not as strong a statement as that). If someone new announces an official visit date. I’ll see what info I can dig up. A new name could pop up if they have a breakout senior season. We saw that last year when midseason highlight films started circulating. But everything else I am probably going to dismiss as noise.

Rivals has changed OL Tyler Watson from unrated to a low 3-star (5.5).

94 -

Here's some tough questions for you....

Of all our current verbals, who do you view as 'soft' or most likely to get poached ?

Also, do you see/hear of any kids committed elsewhere that Clawson and Staff are still wooing to flip to Wake ?

Of all our current verbals, who do you view as 'soft' or most likely to get poached ?

I don’t view any of our commits as soft. Obviously there is concern about Taleni Suhren that directly relates to the Crystal Ball predictions from early in the summer, not from anything coming from Suhren himself. He’s been very enthusiastic about Wake on Twitter.

My own take is that the staff seems to be more focused this cycle on the ongoing recruitment of committed recruits and it is paying off. I looks like the commits were encouraged to come to campus on specific weekends this summer so that they could bond as a group. As a result many of the 2016s don’t just know each other through Twitter, they have actually hung out in person on campus.

Overall you get such a positive vibe from this group. A lot of pro-Wake tweets (especially from Newman, Suhren, Carney, Williams and Liverpool). They ALL follow each other on Twitter. They got active with recruiting guys like Traveon Redd. No one is whining about how they were overlooked by bigger programs (i.e. Christian Matthew last year – who was incessant about it).

Of course a lot of guys might be enthusiastic about Wake in part because it was their only P5 option. Anytime that is the case it means there is risk. If they committed to Wake because it was their only P5, what happens if/when a bigger school comes along (i.e. Dior Johnson and Minnesota last year)?

To actually answer your question about who is most likely to get poached, I won’t go with the conventional wisdom (Suhren). I’d say someone like Jamauri Wakefield. Not because of anything he has said or done, just some risk factors that I see. He is very clear that he sees himself in the NFL. That would seem to make him vulnerable to poaching if a program came along that has put more RBs in the NFL. He was widely marketed by a third party marketer. Lots of programs know about him as a result of that marketing. More than half of all P5 schools follow him on Twitter. He still has new schools following him (i.e. Louisville this week). In addition, I think he has only been on campus once. Add that all together and it seems like there is some risk there.

There is another commit (not named Newman, Suhren or Zimmer) that for a while was routinely reaching out to big programs via Twitter. I’m not going to name him because it looks like he has stopped doing it (at least for now).

If you are on Twitter, please give our commits a follow!

Also, do you see/hear of any kids committed elsewhere that Clawson and Staff are still wooing to flip to Wake ?
No one specific on the radar right now. Wake offered a few guys earlier in the cycle that were committed elsewhere - two examples were UCF WR commit Malick Mbodj and Marshall CB commit Jaylon Sapp – but those guys are likely in the rearview mirror now. The last committed guy to hit my radar was Georgia Southern commit Jermany Hawkins but I don’t think he was ever offered by Wake. That was back when I thought Wake was looking to offer some more LBs.

I hope that answers your questions. Keep them coming!!

It does and thanks. Was just recalling last year when the RB from South Carolina suddenly came on the screen late.

Myles Dorn said that his five official visits will be to UNC, NC State, Michigan State, Tennessee and West Virginia. I've finally taken him off my list on the OP in this thread. That leaves only 7 names.

Elysee Mbem-Bosse received his 8th consecutive Crystal Ball for Auburn. All this Crystal Ball activity means an announcement could be coming very soon.

Myles Dorn said that his five official visits will be to UNC, NC State, Michigan State, Tennessee and West Virginia. I've finally taken him off my list on the OP in this thread. That leaves only 7 names.

Elysee Mbem-Bosse received his 8th consecutive Crystal Ball for Auburn. All this Crystal Ball activity means an announcement could be coming very soon.

time to take him off the list too?

A new Crystal Ball prediction for Tremayne Anchrum to Nebraska. From the Nebraska 247 writer who says he is going on a hunch. Wake has definitely fallen behind, but there is still almost 2 months to go until his announcement.

Wake commit Essang Bassey was upgraded by Rivals from a 2-star to a low 3-star (5.5).

A new Crystal Ball prediction for Tremayne Anchrum to Nebraska. From the Nebraska 247 writer who says he is going on a hunch. Wake has definitely fallen behind, but there is still almost 2 months to go until his announcement.

Wake commit Essang Bassey was upgraded by Rivals from a 2-star to a low 3-star (5.5).

I would hope that a number of our lower ranked commits would be upgraded as their senior season progresses.
In fact, I'd be disappointed if they were not.

CB commit Essang Bassey is having a huge night on offense tonight in a rivalry game. The opposing team had staged a big comeback before Bassey answered with a 62-yard catch and run for his 3rd TD of the game.

Back