• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

CB commit Essang Bassey is having a huge night on offense tonight in a rivalry game. The opposing team had staged a big comeback before Bassey answered with a 62-yard catch and run for his 3rd TD of the game.

Pretty good start to his senior season.
If he keeps this up, he'll have some more upgrades

Let's hang on to him

Bassey is the 5'9 corner that had the great combine #'s (including a 40-inch vertical). Being a 5'9 corner will keep him from getting a lot of bigger offers.

A similar example might be Chuck Wade putting up crazy numbers last year. I kept thinking he would get some big offers but they never came - at least to my knowledge. He didn't have the measurables that most teams are looking for.

Cade Carney and Davidson Day beat up on Ashbrook 48-14 tonight

Cade Carney had a 47 yard TD run.

Larry Collins had 11 catches for 196 yards and 2 TDs. Very important recruit for Wake.

As wfufb2014 pointed out last night there is plenty of social media buzz about the hits that Traveon Redd brought last night (a helmet knocked off etc). Highlights will be posted soon on his Hudl page.

I continue to think that WF should recruit Jon Lamot, Ali's younger brother. Last night he had 181 yds rushing and was 13-22 in passing. The kid is an athlete and a winner. He is an Elon commit at present. He will probably play D. in college.

East (Christian Beal) gave Tabor a beat down last night

& Madison Cone, who got an offer from Wisconsin last week...adds to offers from us, dook, VT, UNC, ODU, ECU, & BC. Would love to get this kid. I think he would be a great fit here. Seems to be favoring us, dook, and VT. 247 crystal ball says 100% dook, but he liked VT. His coaches say Wake is definitely a contender- Clawson & staff are doing a top notch job recruiting him.

& Madison Cone, who got an offer from Wisconsin last week...adds to offers from us, dook, VT, UNC, ODU, ECU, & BC. Would love to get this kid. I think he would be a great fit here. Seems to be favoring us, dook, and VT. 247 crystal ball says 100% dook, but he liked VT. His coaches say Wake is definitely a contender- Clawson & staff are doing a top notch job recruiting him.
Yeah, I forgot his name. Cone is a serious player.

Mt. Tabor has a player that is committed to VT as well.

Cone's dad was my kid's basketball trainer over the past two summers. His dad likes dook & wake and is 100% committed to whatever school can offer his son the best education.

Side note, the younger brother Jalen (JJ) is playing in the national middle school basketball all-star game this weekend.

That player committed to VT is definitely for real. It's Divine Deablo, and I saw him just straight jump over a East Forsyth defender last night.

Unfortunately, both Deablo and Christian Beal sat out the 2nd half of the game. Deablo with a bruised shoulder, caused by getting completely upended on a swing pass, and Beal had what was characterized as a "small ding" by his coach, who didn't want to risk him in a blowout win.

I'll have stories on Beal and Cone on Deacons Illustrated early this week.

Some interesting news today. WR Donald Stewart is reportedly planning an official visit to Wake Forest on October 24. Stewart is a guy that Wake offered in January before his offer sheet blew up. I took him off my Big Board after he got heavily involved with Michigan and Stanford. Those schools remain the favorites. He was quoted as saying that Stanford was his dream offer and he has some kind of personal connection with someone on the Michigan staff if I remember correctly.

Stewart is 6'3 and is an accomplished track guy. Probably remains a longshot unless Michigan and Stanford fill their spots. In addition to Wake he will visit Michigan, Stanford, Syracuse and Rutgers. He has expressed a strong interest in attending a high-end academic school.

Stewart reportedly attended Wake's Spring Game in April. Stewart is one of the Top 400 overall recruits in the country according to RankByOffers.com.

Last edited:
East (Christian Beal) gave Tabor a beat down last night

Another back had over 100 yards rushing in that game and had a post-game quote along the lines of this being his team this year. What position is Beal playing this year for East and who is the starter at TB?

Michigan took top 100 WR Ahmir Mitchell today, meaning if there was any room left for Stewart its probably now gone. Sort of makes you wonder if his Stanford offer is legit why he hasn't taken it yet. The possibility of us stealing him is looking increasingly likely especially if/when we lose commits from now until Signing Day

Michigan took top 100 WR Ahmir Mitchell today, meaning if there was any room left for Stewart its probably now gone. Sort of makes you wonder if his Stanford offer is legit why he hasn't taken it yet. The possibility of us stealing him is looking increasingly likely especially if/when we lose commits from now until Signing Day

I read that Michigan hasn't had a spot that they were making available for Stewart for a while now. I haven't had an opportunity to research Stanford but agree with your assessment. If Stanford was his dream offer - which he said it was - why hasn't he committed? I'd love to get Stewart. Not sure how I would prioritize him versus Larry Collins.

Another back had over 100 yards rushing in that game and had a post-game quote along the lines of this being his team this year. What position is Beal playing this year for East and who is the starter at TB?

Beal got hurt during the game and it was a beat down so I doubt they wanted to bring him back. He is supposed to be the starter the other guy was probably talking smack and got his yards in mop up/fill in duty.

Back